996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Good Deal ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
rEdLiNeR is on a distinguished road
Question Good Deal ?

So ive been looking for a porsche for awhile, and finally found one, but i dont know if its worth it? Its a late model 99 with the titanium package and 18 in turbo look wheels with 38,000 miles for 42,000. The car has two small dents and a little curb rash but other then that its awesome. Should i wait a bit longer and get a late model 99 with the PSM and xenon lights and spend a little more? What do you guys think?

Old 04-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Moderatorette
Porsche Babe is on a distinguished road
I'd pass and wait..... IMHO

Old 04-29-2004, 02:25 PM
What does IMHO mean? And why so?

Old 04-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO= In my honest opinion.... I would try and find a car with lower miles, you should be able to find one in that price range with half the miles, also there is nothing wrong with 99's but there were some interior changes in the 2000. 2000s were also Drive by wire, which I do not care for, it makes the throttle response a bit delayed. Check ebay for great deals and don't be afraid to find something out of your area, a simple inspection by a local dealer will give you a wealth of info when your ready to buy that specific car. Always have them checked it out!! Its worth the $120

Old 04-29-2004, 10:03 PM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
Don't rush. I spent 4 months looking for mine. You also mentioned PSM and litronics. Absolutely, "must haves." However, don't make the mistake I did on my first Porsche. Understand ALL of the options available and determine which ones are priority. Then go find the car/color that you want. It's out there, but it make take some time. Some options, like PSM, cannot be retrofitted, but some, litronics, can. But it can be expensive. It's always better to find them on the car because they don't increase the price (that much) on a used car.

Dave

Old 04-29-2004, 11:40 PM
delliott00 is on a distinguished road
Back in Aug-03 I bought a 2000 996 C2, black/black, with 25K miles on it for $43K. It had PSM, hifi, suede headliner, CD changer, and the small aluminum package. It was also in great shape.

So, to me it sounds like the '99 you're looking at should be a lot less. If you check ebay, you can frequently find '99s for $35K or so. Of course, some of them might not be worth it, but its a good starting point.

Since I bought it I've added litronics, the factory GT3 aerokit, a full sound system, and a few other minor things.

-Dave

Old 04-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Banned
eride996 is on a distinguished road
99 is a drive by cable system. at least get an 00 for the drive by wire.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:32 AM
911 flyn is on a distinguished road
I'd hold out for an 02, they have many improvements over earlier
models. I've seen 02 models in the low 50's with that kind of mileage.

Keep looking, good luck

Old 04-30-2004, 07:00 AM
The thing is ... 42 where i live, which is in California, is pretty darn good for a late model 99. All the other ones are selling for mid to high 40's with more miles so what should i do? And ive been looking for quite sometime now. About 4 months, checking autotrader, rennlist, cars.com, yahooautos,etc on an almost daily basis. And as for spending that little extra to get say an 00 or 01 or even an 02, well 42 is already going out on limb for me.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:10 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
I thought it meant ' In my humble opinion'.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Im sorry i dont get it? " I thought it meant ' In my humble opinion?" What do you mean? Sorry

Old 04-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Ranfni is on a distinguished road
When it's the right car you won't have to ask!
take a look at the book value here if you want to know what it's worth
http://www.kbb.com/

Old 05-01-2004, 05:24 AM
It says 41,600, and i was going to pay 42?

Old 05-03-2004, 03:51 AM
allenjdmb is on a distinguished road
I assume you're...

talking about coupes? And even though the miles might be a trace high for Porsche geeks, that's still only 38k on what is now a 5 year old car. I would take each car on its own merit--condition, history, equipment, and overall value (do you like the color, options, etc?)...and MAKE SURE you know/check out the seller. I would rarely give a blanket yes or no to nay car in any model year...it just depends on the totality of the circumstances..Just my .02...

Old 05-03-2004, 05:01 AM
Yah im planning on buying a coupe. The color was what i was looking for, and it was missing a few options like the PSM and litronics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good Deal ?