997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

HELP! - Painted Wheel Option is HORRIBLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:25 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
HELP! - Painted Wheel Option is HORRIBLE

I’m upgrading from an 02, C-4 Cab (currently 4 sale), to a custom order 08 Turbo Cab with a build date in late February.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Among other things, I’ve ordered every external part “Paint To Match” (Black - except hdlght wshr), including the wheels. Last Saturday, I happened to see another car optioned with the painted wheel and I was appalled!!!
They only paint the face - NOT the entire inner barrel. The stock rims are painted fascia AND the inner barrel, but if you order the rim painted to match, the inner barrel stays primer gray!?!
Does anyone know if there is a code to have the WHOLE rim painted to match? Am I missing something? Is the dealership missing something?
If this is the only way it comes, I’m cancelling the “Paint To Match” on the rims and will order something else.
NOTE: The Dealer is Ray Catena in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1lace w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Edison</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">NJ</st1:State></st1lace> – I’m only mentioning this for reference as I’ve checked with people I know at Paul Miller and they don’t have an answer either.
Thank you for any advice and/or suggestions.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
DSUNNYM1 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SaintlySins
I’m upgrading from an 02, C-4 Cab (currently 4 sale), to a custom order 08 Turbo Cab with a build date in late February.
fficeffice" /><o>></o>>
Among other things, I’ve ordered every external part “Paint To Match” (Black - except hdlght wshr), including the wheels. Last Saturday, I happened to see another car optioned with the painted wheel and I was appalled!!!
They only paint the face - NOT the entire inner barrel. The stock rims are painted fascia AND the inner barrel, but if you order the rim painted to match, the inner barrel stays primer gray!?!
Does anyone know if there is a code to have the WHOLE rim painted to match? Am I missing something? Is the dealership missing something?
If this is the only way it comes, I’m cancelling the “Paint To Match” on the rims and will order something else.
NOTE: The Dealer is Ray Catena in ffice:smarttags" /><st1>lace w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Edison</st1:city>, <st1:state w:st="on">NJ</st1:state></st1>lace> – I’m only mentioning this for reference as I’ve checked with people I know at Paul Miller and they don’t have an answer either.
Thank you for any advice and/or suggestions.

The way i have seen this option on some TT's is the the inner barrels are painted to replace the Grey coloring while the face stays polished...... Also seen this on A Yellow TT Cab I was considering,,Looked awful!!IMO maybe just too much Yellow......
Where on a White TT it looked pretty good.......

Last edited by DSUNNYM1; 01-08-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
lager99 is on a distinguished road
Ya, I don't like em. You can't order it any different, change your order.

Also, you may want to rethink ordering your fascia etc in black if you did.You can't tell the difference otherwise, and rock chips will show up vs the plastic fascia & side skirts.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Best bet: order the headlight washers black too - we are painting them now regularly for people who did not do it.

But on the wheels, leave 'em stock. When they come in, find a high end shop in your area who can do what you want to the stockers. Should not be more than $300-$350 per wheel to do it right. But the dark inner barrel (gray) may look fine with the polished wheels on black, unless you want to murder it and go all black, then you might be better off with aftermarket wheels.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned
evsmotors has a spectacular aura aboutevsmotors has a spectacular aura about
I like to see a picture of what your complaining about.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:55 PM
TurboBill is on a distinguished road
You can easily get the factory wheels repainted any way you want in the aftermarket. The cost should be no more than $700-800, including shipping them to socal if you use the same shop I used.

I posted this in a different thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...40&postcount=2

Old 01-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a body-color-matched set of 997 Turbo Wheels, Midnight Blue for you to ponder:

To do this right, the masking process is tedious and slow, but the results are subtle and really nice looking. The inner sections are all Midnight in this shot, but the surface is left polished. So each spoke's inner and sides are painted body color.
If you did this on a Black ride though, I'm not sure you'd get the same feeling, but it is an option you can toy with.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:51 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
this is so stupid, I have seen this on turbos... the only time it looks some what ok is when its red or a lighter color.. when its black the wheel just looks dirty

Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 AM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
“DSUNNYM1” – I have seen it painted aftermarket and the results are nice, I’m not crazy about how the ‘stock’ rims look on a black car. They look good on most colors, and fantastic on the gray cars, but awful on black. It’s almost as if the rim color was an afterthought in the “total visual image” ... and this is reflected in the catalogue and promotion shots as they’re primarily using the gray cars.
I “***-u-me’ the factory would have painted it in the same fashion they painted the stock rims ... and I am soooo disappointed. Think I’m going to cancel the factory paint match and find a powder coating company who’ll change the ‘stock-gray’ areas to black.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
“LAGER99” – I thought about the spoiler skirt color and going with the clear bra by Premier (the non-orange-peel) on (most of) the lowest parts, as soon as it come in. If it wasn’t for that product I’d have left it in the plastic finish.
<o:p></o:p>
“ERIC (PLUG GUY)” – not doing the headlight washers black. I like the chrome piece, and the paint on that piece doesn’t have long term adhesion unless someone powder-coats it. We’ve seen it chip from the factory and private shops countless times.
I did plan on “murdering” it and going all black for effect. By having the factory do it, and getting it on my ‘build sheet’ I’ve have the ‘bragging rights’ to claim all stock. But I can see going with aftermarket wheels is going to be my choice. There are some great options, but I do like the ‘signature’ look the factory rims give the Turbo.
P.S. – Order your products all the time. Would like to know if you plan on making plugs to fit ‘squarely’ and or ‘flush’ into the bumper plug holes? I’d really like it if the key-hole plug was full size and had a little tab to pull it out when required. This is NOT a critique of your product(s), only one mans questions for options. Thank you.
“TURBO BILL” – Thanks for the pictures, with them, I’m sure you know more of what I’m talking about for the ‘total visual impact’. You’ve made a great choice and you may have me being your East Coast clone but with a Cab. Thank you.
“ERIC (PLUG GUY)” – Your second post is the EXACT look I expected the factory to do as it’s the same as the ‘stock factory’ paint job. Why they’re not doing it for all “PAINT TO MATCH” optioned wheels and only painted the fascia leaving the inner barrels primer is beyond me!?!
“GLOBALM3” – Well ... “to each his own” ... I guess is the right response. I wouldn’t want to take the car anywhere with light colored rims as the 5<SUP>th</SUP> mile will have the fronts several shades darker than the rears and by the 20<SUP>th</SUP> mile they’ll look like fronts and rears are two different colors. On the “tow & show” rides they do look awesome, but I use my car often and hate brake dust.
Maybe this is the reason I should drop the extra $8K and go PCCB’s? What do you think?
Thank you all for your quick, honest and insightful answers. I appreciate them all and you’ve helped my NOT make a big mistake.
<O:p</O:p

Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Midcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud of
i would get the wheels powercoated rather then painting. it will hold up much better (i've had both).
my choice would be to ditch the stock wheels though and get something aftermarket finished in black (i think shot peen is even stronger then powdercoat).
champion and hre make the best looking rims i've seen for the 997tt

Old 01-09-2008, 01:53 PM
MJS NYC is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Midcont
i would get the wheels powercoated rather then painting. it will hold up much better (i've had both).
my choice would be to ditch the stock wheels though and get something aftermarket finished in black (i think shot peen is even stronger then powdercoat).
champion and hre make the best looking rims i've seen for the 997tt
JE post a photo of your 993 rims...

Old 01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Midcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MJS NYC
JE post a photo of your 993 rims...
don't have one but here is one of my Ruf's powedercoated black

Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Vincy is on a distinguished road
We have the dark grey with wheels to match. I think the color is slate. the stock painte wheels are great. The surface is polished and easy to keep clean, actually doesn't get dirty. The brake dust is not visible on the inner surfaces. I like the wheels because they look good without constant work.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
VINCY's got the best external color-match for the stock rims.

I probably will go with something aftermarket and as MIDCONT referenced HRE, I too like them a lot. Although not close to my original 'vision' ... they're really sharp looking.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
PCCB's are GREAT!

I like them!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! - Painted Wheel Option is HORRIBLE