997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Where can I get clear bulbs for clear sidemarkers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
I wouldn't assume to question your integrity. I'm simply very nervous about melting parts on my car.
As am I after having gone through it once before. Those turn signals are $400 each!

Old 09-23-2009, 11:01 AM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
so what's the verdict on this? Which clear bulbs WILL work for our side marker housing?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Neil, the Porsche comes with clear bulbs under the amber markers from the factory, actually the port, I guess DOT require amber and they change them at PDI.

The dealer will often swap Euro clear markers in and then your stuck with amber bulbs. If you want clear just use stock W5W bulbs, any auto parts store has them.

If you mean stealth style then you can go with any stealth W5W thats silver coated orange bulb, most go with stealthauto or hoen but good chance you can pick up locally at Kragen or whatever autoparts store is around if you want a quick fix.

Then you have multiple LED options, I have the Hoen dLED and I think they are great but not as bright as the stock amber ones that came on the car if that is important.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmoney
Neil, the Porsche comes with clear bulbs under the amber markers from the factory, actually the port, I guess DOT require amber and they change them at PDI.

The dealer will often swap Euro clear markers in and then your stuck with amber bulbs. If you want clear just use stock W5W bulbs, any auto parts store has them.

If you mean stealth style then you can go with any stealth W5W thats silver coated orange bulb, most go with stealthauto or hoen but good chance you can pick up locally at Kragen or whatever autoparts store is around if you want a quick fix.

Then you have multiple LED options, I have the Hoen dLED and I think they are great but not as bright as the stock amber ones that came on the car if that is important.

G - I have clear side markers but it lights up yellow/amber. so you're saying to get new white bulbs from Kragen(W5W)?

thanks.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I would not recommend it, clear like the ones in the cabin lighting, would look bad. Id say go chrome coated amber to clear the egg yolk look but it will look the same when you crank them on but yes, should be an easy find.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Halo is infamous around these parts
correct me if I am not getting it, but I got clear side marker/lights instead of the yellow ones at the dealer for $40 bucks. They just pull out. My avitar does NOT show them as I just got them.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Halo
correct me if I am not getting it, but I got clear side marker/lights instead of the yellow ones at the dealer for $40 bucks. They just pull out. My avitar does NOT show them as I just got them.
The lens you purchased is clear, but I assume the bulb itself is amber. You can get amber bulbs with a silver coating that will not give the egg yolk when not lit but will illuminate amber when on. Simply getting a clear bulb will get rid of the yolk but will only illuminate white (which is not 'legal').

Old 09-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Geez....just TAKE THE BULB from your AMBER sidemarker and pop it in the clear...it's a factory spec CLEAR bulb. Done.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Geez....just TAKE THE BULB from your AMBER sidemarker and pop it in the clear...it's a factory spec CLEAR bulb. Done.
Well, if that's what you already have, then obviously just do that. I have factory clear markers with an AMBER bulb.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
bone....did you not have ambers on the car when you took delivery?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
darkw1sh is infamous around these parts
check sylvania.com they can help a lot!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
bone....did you not have ambers on the car when you took delivery?
Seeing as I bought the car from another member, the answer would be "I have no idea"

Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Don't put the factory clear bulbs back in! I tried that already and after an afternoon cruise the clear bulb was starting to melt the housing. I don't know why the factory bulb was too hot for the clear housing but it didn't work for me.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Former Vendor
Sorry for the confusion.....I would think a dealer might have the bulbs for the standard markers...and that would work.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by tblountman
Don't put the factory clear bulbs back in! I tried that already and after an afternoon cruise the clear bulb was starting to melt the housing. I don't know why the factory bulb was too hot for the clear housing but it didn't work for me.
Thats is weird, I found the amber bulbs to be hotter than the white ones, manufacturing variances?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where can I get clear bulbs for clear sidemarkers