997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GTR vs Porsche 997 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:17 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
You have to give hats off to Nissan to make it even competitive, especially considering the price point. The E92M3 and R8 have been totally eclipsed in performance in utero.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Barrister
Don't feel too bad. Any inferiority complex you may feel regarding Ferrari is understandable.

If you think that Honda is a serious Grand Prix competitor to Ferrari then you don't know the sport. We'll have to see what Ross Brawn can do with them (note, a former Ferrari guy). In the end, you know what I meant. Ferrari is a WORLD CHAMPION. How far did Jenson Button or Barrichello get Honda last year? But your point is well taken. Honda may as well be Nissan if gauged by how much Ferrari cares about what they are doing - on the street or on the track.

Good luck.
Well there was a time when Honda was beating Ferrari in F1. (Remember Senna?) During early 90's, Honda won 6 constructor championships and 5 driver championships. By the end of 1992, Honda powered cars had won 71 Grand Prix. And after Honda left the F1, Mr Gato who was the V10 engine engineer for Honda was recruited by Ferrari to help build Ferrari V10.

The modern Honda F1 team is different story, they have A LOT of work to do. But I wouldn't dismiss them so easily.

Last edited by Akira; 02-23-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:03 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Here is the bottom line. Ferrari builds road cars for one reason and one reason only. They need to sell street cars to make enough money to go racing. That is it. That is the soul purpose of the company. RACING! No other company in the world can say that. Not even Porsche.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:07 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Here is the bottom line. Ferrari builds road cars for one reason and one reason only. They need to sell street cars to make enough money to go racing. That is it. That is the soul purpose of the company. RACING! No other company in the world can say that. Not even Porsche.
Hey, is your car done? we had an 08 997TT with GMG mods with us today (GIAC, exhaust, intake, headers, suspension and 20 inch rims) Very nice and FAST.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
That is why the Ferrari is a league of their own. There is very unique feeling when you are driving Ferrari that no other cars can provide. But it doesn't make it "better." I think 911 GT2 is better car then 360 Modena, but I wouldn't say I "like" GT2 more than 360. I think "feeling" and "facts" are different. Fact is cold numbers, while feeling is something you can't put numbers next to.

Back to this 911 vs GTR thing. I think GTR is "better" car performance wise, but I LIKE the 911 better.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:18 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
Hey, is your car done? we had an 08 997TT with GMG mods with us today (GIAC, exhaust, intake, headers, suspension and 20 inch rims) Very nice and FAST.
Picked it up today. The Techart body kit is done. RSS custom fabricated skid plates out of ABS plastic for the front lip spoiler. My wheels are due back to me on Tuesday. I should be able to make the next C&C

Old 02-23-2008, 05:20 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Picked it up today. The Techart body kit is done. RSS custom fabricated skid plates out of ABS plastic for the front lip spoiler. My wheels are due back to me on Tuesday. I should be able to make the next C&C
can you make it by 5:45am? I will have a few other cars and its a lot of fun. No traffic and very safe. I have a radio for you.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:21 PM
dak125 is on a distinguished road
In reality, just like any other car purchase, it comes down personal preference. If an individual is looking for straight up performance for the money then a GTR or a Z06 come to mind. I don't see the sense in arguing which of these two cars are better, mainly because I can't see people truly cross-shopping them. Performance wise the GTR and TT are so close in performance that I think whoever is driving is going to make up the real difference.

With all of that being said, the GTR makes sense to me. A TT is simply out of my price range and the appeal isn't quite there. I love 'bang for your buck' cars and this thing just takes the cake.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by robertp
can you make it by 5:45am? I will have a few other cars and its a lot of fun. No traffic and very safe. I have a radio for you.
I'll try.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:27 PM
crand002 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
Drive a GTR and then drive a Porsche, even a Boxter or Cayman and you'll know why we buy Porsches and not those plastic bins.

Hmmm that's interesting. If the Boxster or the Cayman was the first Porsche I drove I wouldn't drive another one again.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:07 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
You have to give hats off to Nissan to make it even competitive, especially considering the price point. The E92M3 and R8 have been totally eclipsed in performance in utero.
Very true, but all in different leagues IMO, except R8 maybe to GTR...

GTR still does NOTHING for me though!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:50 PM
///macculate is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Barrister
You mean like the person who posts a picture of a super hot model as their avatar when they know she wouldn't give him the time of day in real life? Your GF may be great and all, but you still want the girl in the picture right?

Sorry bro, but Ferarri doesn't have its eye on Nissan when developing its cars. That is ludicrous. Ferrari is the only company that develops race cars first, then turns to the street. All other companies develop race cars to promote their street car offerings. The only shops that Ferrari has its eye on are its competitors in Formula 1. It doesn't matter what a mass market car maker like Nissan does - it will never make the boys at Fiorano stand up and take notice and it sure doesn't make them nervous at all. They target totally different markets and are in a class by themselves. I don't own a Ferrari - although I hope to some day soon - and I don't want to come off as a car-snob. But Ferrari is something totally different and at a different level than anything else in my book.
The NSX was a catalyst in the supercar market especially in light of Lambo and Ferrari in that they practically forced reliability down their throats. The 355 was what it was due to the NSX. The monopoly Ferrari and Lambo (partially) had in the exotic world was undone by Honda. Sure Ferrari is "WORLD CHAMP" and that's due to their revenue, which should be credited (partially) to Honda for creating a machine that cost less and could be a daily driver (who really thought of having a Ferrari/Lambo as a daily driver in the early 90's?)! Sell more cars, make more money for racing. Then again, Ferrari sells because it's Ferrari (and I love Ferrari), the company doesn't need to pay for commercials or advertise their product. Bottom line, Ferrari (and every other supercar manuf.) improved because of the NSX and Ferrari is "world champ" because they have no trouble generating revenue (new york yankees anyone?).

Old 02-24-2008, 12:50 AM
raidentech can only hope to improve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWAficaFl3c

GTR beats GT3 also, not just turbo

Old 02-24-2008, 01:57 AM
2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough
First off...I salute Nissan for making the GTR. It seems like one hell of a car.

Secondly, I understand why some car enthusiasts don't embrace the GTR (or the ZO6 or the Viper or the Mustang Cobra). Just as I understand why some connoisseurs of fine cuisine don't embrace Taco Bell or McDonalds. Sometimes cheap food (or cheap cars) can be just as tasty (or fast) as expensive food (or expensive cars). I happen to think that a $2 Big Mac tastes better than a $19 Black Angus burger. How many times do you think I have taken clients to Mickey D's because it tastes better for less money?? You guessed it...zippo!! Why? Because McDonald's tastes good but it's quality is inferior to most other options. And this is why I believe the GTR (or ZO6 or Cobra or Viper) will never truly be placed aside a Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, etc.....reputation for quality of build.

My very wise grandfather once told me to remember two things....

1. NEVER!!!!.....make an appointment with a doctor who can see you right away....the physicians who are worth seeing are booked for some time in advance.

2. NEVER!!!....choose to buy anything that requires advertising....if a product is stellar then no advertising is necessary.

Think about that....Have you ever seen a TV commercial for Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, Aston???

Old 02-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 2K7997TT
First off...I salute Nissan for making the GTR. It seems like one hell of a car.

Secondly, I understand why some car enthusiasts don't embrace the GTR (or the ZO6 or the Viper or the Mustang Cobra). Just as I understand why some connoisseurs of fine cuisine don't embrace Taco Bell or McDonalds. Sometimes cheap food (or cheap cars) can be just as tasty (or fast) as expensive food (or expensive cars). I happen to think that a $2 Big Mac tastes better than a $19 Black Angus burger. How many times do you think I have taken clients to Mickey D's because it tastes better for less money?? You guessed it...zippo!! Why? Because McDonald's tastes good but it's quality is inferior to most other options. And this is why I believe the GTR (or ZO6 or Cobra or Viper) will never truly be placed aside a Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, etc.....reputation for quality of build.

My very wise grandfather once told me to remember two things....

1. NEVER!!!!.....make an appointment with a doctor who can see you right away....the physicians who are worth seeing are booked for some time in advance.

2. NEVER!!!....choose to buy anything that requires advertising....if a product is stellar then no advertising is necessary.

Think about that....Have you ever seen a TV commercial for Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, Aston???
No offense, but your anology lost me when you used Black Angus as the symbol for Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, etc. I see the GTR as perhaps a Black Angus, Chillis, Applebees type of car. Whereas a Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo is more like Wygu Kobi Beef at $50 an ounce at the Studio in Laguna Beach. I'm sure gramps would have thought that to be an irresponsible extravagance. Just a tip though, it's a true deal-closer with clients. But don't forget the dress code. Thank me later.

http://www.montagelagunabeach.com/di...factsheet.html

As far as your point about advertising, Ferrari, Aston, Lambo and Bentley don't advertise because they don't mass produce their products. Porsche does significant advertising. In fact, I saw that "Bloodlines" commercial on twice today. But, then again, Porsche mass produces most of its cars. Yet when I am in the market for a household cleaner, I might just go with Mr. Clean because of those catchy commercials. It helps you remember it when you hit the aisle that has 20 other cleaner brands - each with basically the same chemical composition and of equal quality. If gramps were right, Madison Avenue would be in the fashion district.

It's getting late and all of these threads about the GTR are making me dizzy and have robbed me of my ability to make sense . . .

Hell, knowing me, I'll probably be dumb enough to test drive it or drive a friend's. Then I will have to buy it and my Ferrari fund will once again be depleted. DAMN THAT NISSAN!

Last edited by Barrister; 02-24-2008 at 02:33 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTR vs Porsche 997 TT