997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Self oil change voids Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Enilder
what do you do with the old oil from the car?
i have seen people pouring that to sewer and etc.
how do you guys trash it?
People who pour oil into the sewer should be tied down naked over a fire ant hill.

Most communities in our area offer oil recycling at the city recycling center. Otherwise, I'm sure local oil change places will take it for a nominal fee.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
memo is on a distinguished road
I don't trust mainly because I had bad experiences before with my previous cars. They weren't Porsches but most dealers seem they don't care about your car.

You can take your old oil to Advance Auto Parts, they recycle for free, thats usually what I do.

I ended up taking my car to Atspeed Motorsports in MD, they do lot of Porsches and they are a sponsor on this forum (I believe) and they treated my car like theirs. That's what I like the best. I will keep the receipt just in case.

Also I called my dealer today and asked if the oil changes will show on service records. They said, oil changes won't show?? I thought they do. I also asked about self oil changes. They said no problem as long as I keep the receipts.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Poisoned Pony is on a distinguished road
if your city offers a curbside recycling program, they will more than likely take it on recycling days. Programs like that usually want the used oil in a plastic container with a screw-on top and the oil filters completey drained and boxed. I put the used oil in a empty laundry detergent bottle and the old filter in the box that the new filter came in.

if there is no curbside recycling, just take it to your local parts shop. They take anything so long as they have room.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 AM
lager99 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bbywu
The computer does not decide when it needs to be done. It's simply a clock. The service manual dictates when service is needed. There is no reason my car needs service at this time.
I'd like someone to clarify that. Every other manufacturers computer reads the load, rpm, speed, temp etc to determine the breakdown.

Not that I believe oil needs to be change at that point AND your experience proves nothing on the basis of the op's worries. You think the service writer is an idiot. Where did you leave the situation? The op isn't looking for an opinion, he is looking for a shop with competent techs that will be responsible for his car. Your experience does not tell us your car was or would have been damaged...just one side of a verbal story.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:46 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lager99
I'd like someone to clarify that. Every other manufacturers computer reads the load, rpm, speed, temp etc to determine the breakdown.

There is a difference between a CEL and a service reminder light. A CEL is a warning...a service reminder light is just that - a reminder. My service reminder light went on exactly 30 days prior to the anniversary of the car's build date. It is calendar based.

Not that I believe oil needs to be change at that point AND your experience proves nothing on the basis of the op's worries. You think the service writer is an idiot. Where did you leave the situation? The op isn't looking for an opinion, he is looking for a shop with competent techs that will be responsible for his car. Your experience does not tell us your car was or would have been damaged...just one side of a verbal story.
I wasn't responding to the original poster. My response was to YOUR question about why someone wouldn't trust a dealership's service department. Does every comment on this thread have to be directed to the original poster? Furthermore, the original poster never asked for opinions about "a shop with competent techs." He wanted to know if he doesn't go to a dealership, would the warranty be void. You wanted to know why anyone wouldn't trust a dealership. I responded. Get off your high horse...Sheesh...

To get back on subject, memo, I'd recommend an investment of a oil filter wrench, a metric socket wrench, and a set of ramps. A reasonable cost of DIY in the US if you have the ability would be about $40 for the wrench (mail order from Sunset or Suncoast), $15 for the filter, and $40-60 for the correct oil.

I think one of our new sponsors at http://www.raceramps.com/ is having a sale on really reasonable ramps to lift the car.

To answer your original question, a dealership (such as mine) may try and scare you about voiding warranties for changing your own oil at another facility or as a DIY...but give Porsche North America a call...unless you did something catastrophic during the oil change, the dealership has no basis to void your warranty (I'm not even sure if a dealership can void warranties...I think only PNA can.)

Last edited by bbywu; 04-24-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
I usually take my used oil to the local AutoZone or Discount Auto Parts. They have a tank they let you dump your oil in for free.

Changing your own oil won't void your warranty unless you do something horrendously wrong (kind of hard to do something like that on this kind of job).

You can get a wrench and oil filter kit from our website....we have tons of all this maintenance stuff in stock.

Factory Oil Filter Kit

Oil Filter Wrench

Drain Plug and Washer

Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
Are you done yet? You sound like a nagging phukkin women...
Please refrain from personal attacks...seriously.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 AM
dmoney will become famous soon enough
Am I supposed to check the oil level when the car is cold or warm???

Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
warm

Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 AM
redduck996 is on a distinguished road
doesnt pep boys or autozone carry a cheaper version of the filter wrench?

has anyone tried using a regular "adjustable" filter wrench?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:56 AM
ggmr is on a distinguished road
i got mine at pep boys years ago. i seem to remember they still had them when i was in there last. much cheaper than the dealer or porsche parts houses and works the same. the adjustable wrench will marr the plastic.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 AM
redduck996 is on a distinguished road
i checked pep boys but they didnt have the right size.. i think I need the 72mm and 14 facets right? they only had 15 facets

sears maybe???

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 AM
ggmr is on a distinguished road
here's the set i bought years ago. one of the six fits the porsche.

http://www.automotion.com/productpag...128&pid=110478

Old 05-29-2008, 05:40 PM
JCS
JCS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by redduck996
i checked pep boys but they didnt have the right size.. i think I need the 72mm and 14 facets right? they only had 15 facets

sears maybe???

I don't know for the Turbo, but the 997S filter wrench is 74 mm with 14 facets
( also is a perfect fit for the MB, E 320 )

Regarding the original post , a word of warning :

the engine in my wife's Audi seized last year ( due to oil sludge ) at ~ 65 k miles , 15 k past warranty and just 2 days after I had an oil change done (probably the fresh synthetic oil loosened some sludge , which prevented some internal part from getting lubricated etc. )
All required maintenance , up to the end of the warranty had been done at the dealer and after that by a certified shop.

Audi , to their credit, gave me a new engine even though it was out of warranty ( probably because Toyota had just lost a class action law suit for similar oil sludge related engine failures )

In speaking with the dealer, they made it very clear that I was very lucky that the oil changes had been done by a certified shop and I had the receipts with dates , VIN and milages .

If I had done the oil changes myself , Audi WOULD NOT have accepted receipts for filters and several quarts of oil as proof .
I would have saved ~ $250 for 2 oil changes and would have had to shell out $ 12,000 for a new engine .

Think about it .
Merely having a receipt for some oil and an oil filter is no proof that the oil change was actually performed for a particular vehicle , and at a specific milage .

I change the oil in my 997 S every ~ 5k miles myself. But I make sure that whenever it is REQUIRED, I have it done by the dealer .
Cheap insurance .

Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
i take it to the local auto parts store

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Self oil change voids Warranty?