997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Self oil change voids Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
memo is on a distinguished road
Self oil change voids Warranty?

My car is due for its first annual oil change. If I don't go to the dealership, would they give me a hard time when I go there for warranty work?

Old 04-21-2008, 01:10 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
dangit i just voided my warranty... no it doesn't. unless you replace oil with water. you'll be fine. use the recommended oil weights.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
memo is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I dont really trust dealers thats why i wont use them for oil changes. I was just trying to make sure

Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by memo
Thanks. I dont really trust dealers thats why i wont use them for oil changes. I was just trying to make sure
Just keep the receipt for oil and filter. And if you do it yourself be sure the engine is cold. If the engine is warm to hot, there is pressure in the side tank, and when my tt side tank was opened oil flew all over the undercarriage, the tech and floor. And too, you need a special filter wrench which runs about $45.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:03 PM
ggmr is on a distinguished road
i've been changing my own oil for years. back when the filter was on the side wall and dripped down between the heads and body (sometimes a mess).

the dealership told me there was no problem but be sure to keep your receipts for the oil and filters (i concur with johnww).

don't know about any special tools for the 997. just a 15mm and 19mm for the drain plugs and the filter uses a standard filter wrench you can get at pep boys for a few bucks.

remember to get both types of drain plug gaskets (i've only found them at the dealership). the case takes an aluminum one and the rear tank takes a copper one (or the other way around? you'll see the difference since one is smaller than the other). forget about draining the turbos as there is no drain plug like on the 996's.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
sfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to all
Negatory on that fly by Ghostrider

My car is due for its first annual oil change. If I don't go to the dealership, would they give me a hard time when I go there for warranty work?

Unless you damage the vehicle, and the dealer/mfr can prove that your oil change did so, you are not hurting your warranty one bit. The Magnuson-Moss act makes it illegal to limit you to dealer service UNLESS they provide dealer service with the product. And the only thing I have ever gotten free from my porsche dealer was air.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sfarris
Unless you damage the vehicle, and the dealer/mfr can prove that your oil change did so, you are not hurting your warranty one bit. The Magnuson-Moss act makes it illegal to limit you to dealer service UNLESS they provide dealer service with the product. And the only thing I have ever gotten free from my porsche dealer was air.
And I bet it was hot too!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:28 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Just did an oil change today at the dealer. 2750 miles on the car so wanted to flush out any metal shavings, bits of German sandwiches that fell in, etc. $293. Oof. May need to learn to do myself!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:50 PM
ggmr is on a distinguished road
check out eBay for 0W40 mobil 1. i found a guy that sold 6/packs for $30 and reasonable shipping. the parts houses are all over $6 and rarely have enough on hand.

same with the filters, bought a ten pack for $80 including gaskets (both rubber and metal).

it's really an easy job and under $60 for oil & parts.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:59 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by ggmr@sbcglobal.
check out eBay for 0W40 mobil 1. i found a guy that sold 6/packs for $30 and reasonable shipping. the parts houses are all over $6 and rarely have enough on hand.

same with the filters, bought a ten pack for $80 including gaskets (both rubber and metal).

it's really an easy job and under $60 for oil & parts.
And if you take the filter and oil to the dealer, you are still out $120 labor plus $30 to check all fluid levels which is a mandatory charge at my Porsche dealer even when no levels are checked.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 PM
lager99 is on a distinguished road
I dont really trust dealers...
Why? I don't get this.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lager99
Why? I don't get this.
It's not hard to believe that many Porsche owners are dissatisfied with their dealership's service department. Trust is earned...it is not given outright. I expect the service department at my dealership to know more about my car than I do. I expect them to provide knowledgeable advice, instead of making up answers. I expect them to be truthful. Trust is earned. Here are examples of interactions with my dealership...the same one I dropped $150K.

Me: My service reminder light came on prematurely. My car's only 11 months old, with less than 7 thousand miles. Can you shut the light off for me?

Service rep: Well...it usually means you need an oil change. We'll only turn it off you we do an inspection...It'll be about $283 for the service.

When you get this kind of interaction...how can you trust your dealership to be knowledgeable about the technical aspects of your car?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
lager99 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bbywu
It's not hard to believe that many Porsche owners are dissatisfied with their dealership's service department. Trust is earned...it is not given outright. I expect the service department at my dealership to know more about my car than I do. I expect them to provide knowledgeable advice, instead of making up answers. I expect them to be truthful. Trust is earned. Here are examples of interactions with my dealership...the same one I dropped $150K.

Me: My service reminder light came on prematurely. My car's only 11 months old, with less than 7 thousand miles. Can you shut the light off for me?

Service rep: Well...it usually means you need an oil change. We'll only turn it off you we do an inspection...It'll be about $283 for the service.

When you get this kind of interaction...how can you trust your dealership to be knowledgeable about the technical aspects of your car?
The computer decides when it needs to be done, so what is saying it didn't need to be?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by lager99
The computer decides when it needs to be done, so what is saying it didn't need to be?
The computer does not decide when it needs to be done. It's simply a clock. The service manual dictates when service is needed. There is no reason my car needs service at this time.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
what do you do with the old oil from the car?
i have seen people pouring that to sewer and etc.
how do you guys trash it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Self oil change voids Warranty?