997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Hey guys new here, 997 owner!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Baginoman is on a distinguished road
Hey guys new here, 997 owner!

Hey there everyone, a couple of months ago we purchased a 997 turbo, and what a monster

Ive tried searching for some answers since im well educated with forums and performance cars in general. But can't find alot of info. on where to start mods. for these turbos...

Ive seen some pretty cool exhaust threads, and seems to be a good variety of choices, but cant make up my mind

Ive checked out AWE tuning, and they have a pretty good selection of performance parts, although I dont exactly know whats best, or in better terms whats gonna give me the ultimate bang for the buck

I would love some feedback on what steps to take into modding the turbo, thankyou everyone!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to 6. Loads of info on the site. Take some time and do some searches and you should be successful. By the way you must show pictures or be banned!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM
lol thanx, yes i will def. be taking some pics very soon!

What do you guys think about me going with the ASR inake? Other than it being alumnium and chances of heatsoak....but the 997 is basically a weekend driver...so i dont think its going to effect the car too much.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:20 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
From what I have researched intakes don't show much gain. My first mod was doing fabspeed exhaust and it makes me smile every time I fire it up. Next on the list is ecu program. My ride is pretty much a weekend ride as well. I have had my 08 tt for about 6 months and have about 3k on the clock. Slowly modding as I go. Good luck and enjoy. This site is a wealth of info and will cost a bundle once you get the bug.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by tblountman
From what I have researched intakes don't show much gain. My first mod was doing fabspeed exhaust and it makes me smile every time I fire it up. Next on the list is ecu program. My ride is pretty much a weekend ride as well. I have had my 08 tt for about 6 months and have about 3k on the clock. Slowly modding as I go. Good luck and enjoy. This site is a wealth of info and will cost a bundle once you get the bug.
thankyou, yes im doing some non-stop searching on this forum and theres a great amount of info.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:14 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
welcome to the forum

Old 06-28-2008, 05:37 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
welcome to the forum. Check out Champion motorsports, they have everything you need from intake to exhaust to ecu to wheels

Old 06-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Samiz7 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations and enjoy it in good health....

Old 06-28-2008, 01:23 PM
thankyou everyone, love this forum! one quick Q: any good tuners in the LA area??

Old 06-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the forum.

A little off the beaten path is a new tuner in Huntington Beach called BBI Autosport. I was referred to them by my old salesman at Brabus. They did a great job on my car. Betim is honestly one of the best in the business. I have no affiliation with the company other than being a very satisfied customer.

I had them do a custom exhaust, ECU, pulley, plenum and HRE P43s. They also did some nice cosmetic stuff for me that make the car kind of unique.

Here is a thread over at TeamSpeed detailing the whole project.

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/997-...exclusive.html

Good luck.

Last edited by Barrister; 06-29-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:12 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tblountman
My story also. 2500 miles, 5 months, AWE instead of Fabspeed & ecu is next. Hopefully AWE 700hp kit in the spring after comfortable no other problems with car. Enjoy your new car and remember - buying the car is only the beginning of the wallet drain.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
My story also. 2500 miles, 5 months, AWE instead of Fabspeed & ecu is next. Hopefully AWE 700hp kit in the spring after comfortable no other problems with car. Enjoy your new car and remember - buying the car is only the beginning of the wallet drain.
lol that 700hp kit sounds ver nice hmmmm....haha and yea im totally aware of the mod bug, still going on with my 03 cobra, but all worth it!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:59 AM
mannytt will become famous soon enoughmannytt will become famous soon enough
congrats and welcome

Old 06-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Subbie is on a distinguished road
Sharkwerks is in N Cal but well worth the effort to do business with them. They have done quite a few EVT700's alreadyand lots of 600 kits, experience and support with this stuff is critical.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 AM
ASR Engineering is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Baginoman
lol thanx, yes i will def. be taking some pics very soon!

What do you guys think about me going with the ASR inake? Other than it being alumnium and chances of heatsoak....but the 997 is basically a weekend driver...so i dont think its going to effect the car too much.
I've posted this thread from AEM before in regards to heat soak, but here it is again for those who haven't seen it before.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=780 align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=580><TABLE cellSpacing=7 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=20>Q: </TD><TD class=red vAlign=top align=left>Why does AEM use aluminum for its intake piping?</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=20>A: </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Our Chief Engineer John Concialdi provides an explanation of the difference between Aluminum vs. Steel vs. Plastic in inlet piping:

The issue of heat absorption with an intake system has a degree of validity, however we have found that too much emphasis is placed on material selection, instead of the real issue of tuning the system. Our systems feature a unique shape and diameter because this is what we found to make the most useable torque and horsepower for each individual application in testing. However, for the purposes of this discussion, we will limit it to why we choose to make our systems from aluminum and the effects of heat absorption on all materials. If you do not wish to review all of this information right now, a quick synopsis of this discussion is outlined in the following bullet points, with complete topic discussions below:
  • We use aluminum to eliminate any chance of the system rusting, and it's lighter than steel
  • We limit our use of plastic because this material absorbs some of the sound energy we work to create in the inlet duct
  • Whether or not an inlet system is made from aluminum, steel or plastic, the thermal conductivity of the duct material has little effect on engine power
  • The rate at which air travels through the inlet path under open throttle, when one is asking the engine for maximum power, negates the effect of material heat soak, regardless of the material
We use aluminum—or a combination of aluminum and plastic plenums for throttle-body-injected applications that require a special plenum—for every intake we produce. This eliminates any chance of rust occurring on the inside of the inlet pipe. We have seen chrome-plated steel systems whose inner diameter became rusted over time, causing flakes of rust to travel along the inlet path. We also choose aluminum because of its lightweight properties. Heavier components place higher loads on the brackets they are attached to—or even worse, to the pipes they are attached to. We combine our lightweight aluminum design with a flexible coupling device we call a soft mount that connects the intake system to the body of the vehicle. In addition to the soft mount, we use doublers at the point where the mounting bracket is welded to the pipe for additional strength.

We limit our use of plastic because this material absorbs some of the sound energy we work to create in the inlet duct. Although we use the best plastic material for our plenums, it is still not as resilient and does not retain the visual appeal of aluminum over long-term use. Because we have to use plastic on throttle body applications, we take extra precautions to ensure that the aluminum retaining ring that attaches to the throttle body is anchored securely into the plastic plenum; this is done by making an interlocking mechanical link between the plastic and aluminum.

Whether or not an inlet system is made from aluminum, steel, or plastic, the thermal conductivity of the duct material has little effect on engine power. We have found that the tuning of the pipe, in addition to providing the coolest inlet air source, are the keys to making useable power. We perform engine inlet-air-temp studies when developing each application to determine the coolest location for sourcing inlet air. In addition to this, we determine the safest location for the inlet source to protect it from highly dusty conditions and water. To this end, we provide a stainless-steel heat shield to help minimize heat soak into the inlet area, as well as to provide protection from dust, dirt and mud.

At light throttle opening, air speed and airflow at the inlet system are relatively low. The high residence time of air in the inlet while at low-throttle settings will increase inlet charge temps when materials with high thermal conductivity are used. Typically, when someone is at light throttle they are not asking the engine to make power. Most likely, fuel economy is the issue.

When the throttle is fully opened however, air speed and airflow increase considerably. Typically, the inlet air speed of a 5.7L engine with a four-inch duct at full throttle is 34 feet-per-second, based on a volumetric efficiency of 70% and an engine speed of 3,000 rpm. Most inlet systems for every intake manufacturer for this engine are 30 inches or less. This means that the air in the duct of a 30-inch inlet length on this engine at the given rpm is 1/10th of a second—hardly enough time to transfer an appreciable amount of heat into the air stream on any system.

Basically, the rate at which air travels through the inlet path under open throttle, when one is asking the engine for maximum power, negates the effect of material heat soak, regardless of the material. We hope that this helps to clear up the issues of material heat absorption in intake systems.

Also, here is some further info on our intake for the 997TT along with a pic attached. Keep in mind that this pic also has our hardpipe kit on it as well that is not part of the intake:

Our system is built from dual 3” inlet tubes along with a factory style cnc finished aluminum bung for a stock airpump hose fitment. The air filters are made from top quality T-304 stainless steel. Totally unique, the entire filtration element is made from a fine stainless steel T-304 mesh (200 micron mesh and 150 micron crown). This mesh means the filter will never wear out, and have substantially less restriction than any other filter. Another feature is the super fine pattern of the mesh. This straightens the airflow and dramatically reduces aerodynamic tumble (restrictive turbulence). They also have a fine mesh at the top of the filter, further improving the airflow capabilities Our system produces almost 24 more usable hp to the wheels in the midrange and an additional 26ft/lb of torque to the wheels. This package also includes a brushed T304 stainless steel “Powered By: ASR Engineering, Inc.” plaque.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cc0000 colSpan=3 height=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02780_01b.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	581.9 KB
ID:	73628  

Last edited by ASR Engineering; 06-30-2008 at 11:03 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hey guys new here, 997 owner!