997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Nitrogen in tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche917
Im talking about use in motorsports in my quote you use. I dont see a benefit for the street. and i dont care about moisture content of air im talking about expansion rates and nitrogen is more consistent having less moisture in it, and thats why it is used by every race team... they have been doing this for years, the tires are given to teams mounted by the tire manufacturer and the teams remove the air out of them and fill them with nitrogen.
As I said before, with all due respect to race teams, SCCA, NASCAR or anyone else, there is no science to support your claim of a difference in expansion rate. It simply does not exist. It would defy absolute laws of physics.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
As I said before, with all due respect to race teams, SCCA, NASCAR or anyone else, there is no science to support your claim of a difference in expansion rate. It simply does not exist. It would defy absolute laws of physics.
How are you saying this defies the laws of physics? The expansion rate of Nitrogen and air is going to be about the same until you throw water vapor into the equation, say you have two tires one filled with for the most part inert dry nitrogen... the other filled with compressed air , and lets say your 1% claim of water vapor.... now how is it that as these tires build up temperature that the pressure is going to also go up identically? That is why race teams use nitrogen, like i said pressure inside the tire is going to effect the spring rate of the tire which in turn is going to effect the handling of the car, why wouldnt you want to go with something that is going to give you more consistent results over the course of a run?

Last edited by Porsche917; 08-26-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
How are you saying this defies the laws of physics? The expansion rate of Nitrogen and air is going to be about the same until you throw water vapor into the equation, say you have two tires one filled with for the most part inert dry nitrogen... the other filled with compressed air , and lets say your 1% claim of water vapor.... now how is it that as these tires build up temperature that the pressure is going to also go up identically? That is why race teams use nitrogen, like i said pressure inside the tire is going to effect the spring rate of the tire which in turn is going to effect the handling of the car, why wouldnt you want to go with something that is going to give you more consistent results over the course of a run?
I promise everyone that this will be my last post on this subject.
According to a scientific principle known as Avogadro's law, all gases, whatever may be their density and the quantity of water which they hold in gaseous solution, and all vapors expand equally between the same degrees of heat. That is, until the water turns to steam. Steam is not an issue here.
So, regardless of how much water vapor is in the compressed air, it won't have any effect on the rate of expansion of the tire. So, you can fill the tires with helium, oxygen, compressed air, Nitrogen OR ANY OTHER GAS, and it the pressure will be the same when heated.
I didn't invent the law. It's a law of physics.
Sorry.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
I promise everyone that this will be my last post on this subject.
According to a scientific principle known as Avogadro's law, all gases, whatever may be their density and the quantity of water which they hold in gaseous solution, and all vapors expand equally between the same degrees of heat. That is, until the water turns to steam. Steam is not an issue here.
So, regardless of how much water vapor is in the compressed air, it won't have any effect on the rate of expansion of the tire. So, you can fill the tires with helium, oxygen, compressed air, Nitrogen OR ANY OTHER GAS, and it the pressure will be the same when heated.
I didn't invent the law. It's a law of physics.
Sorry.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
lol of course were arent worried about water turning to steam since we are already talking about it in that state to begin with... well just think of all the money you could save these race teams that have been using nitrogen over the last several decades...

Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
lol of course were arent worried about water turning to steam since we are already talking about it in that state to begin with... well just think of all the money you could save these race teams that have been using nitrogen over the last several decades...
Steam filled tires.......hmmmmmm.
None so blind as he who will not see.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:23 AM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
Once again, to quote John Adams: "Facts are stubborn things."

Even more to the point:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."
Richard D. Feynman, Report of the Presidential Commission on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident, Appendix F

Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
when I spent the last year working in the tire industry you'd be amazed how many places now carry nitrogen. Many have it as their only source for fillups and don't charge for it. These systems were expensive to put in, if it wasn't a benefit I don't see why the shops would put them in.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
when I spent the last year working in the tire industry you'd be amazed how many places now carry nitrogen. Many have it as their only source for fillups and don't charge for it. These systems were expensive to put in, if it wasn't a benefit I don't see why the shops would put them in.
Because they know they can turn a profit??
Because most people believe what they are told without questioning it. So if average Joe Schmoe starts to think that paying 25 bucks for Nitrogen in their tires is truly useful, then they are now creating revenue where once there was none, I don't see whats so hard to believe...

Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
TT23 is on a distinguished road
i love nitrogen in my tires ..

Old 08-30-2008, 08:31 AM
carlover08 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information on this subject.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:03 AM
notjustshrawan is on a distinguished road
nitrogen filling is advised simply because it fills up space which otherwise would be occupied by oxygen (air consists of 21% oxygen) This oxygen could combine with hydrogen and form water molecules which could decrease the life of your tire. Nitrogen is also said to posses superior damping properties compared to atmospheric air.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by notjustshrawan
nitrogen filling is advised simply because it fills up space which otherwise would be occupied by oxygen (air consists of 21% oxygen) This oxygen could combine with hydrogen and form water molecules which could decrease the life of your tire. Nitrogen is also said to posses superior damping properties compared to atmospheric air.
NO! Oxygen will not combine with hydrogen in your tires and form water vapor! The only water vapor in your tires was already there in the compressed air. And there is very little of it. Compressed air causes most water vapor to condense out almost immediately as the compressed air cools because of Boyle's law (look it up).
"Nitrogen is said to possess superior damping properties" is nothing but marketing BS. Nitrogen is an inert gas has HAS ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENT DAMPING PROPERTIES THAN ANY OTHER GAS. This is because of Avogadro's Law (look it up).
Man, I just can't believe what an amazing job the Nitrogen marketing people have done serving up this nonsense.
If it makes you feel better to fill your tires with Nitrogen (placebo effect), be my guest.
But you'd be much better off giving the money to a needy charity.
Have a great holiday!

Last edited by Tech1_Mike; 08-30-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
The only way the oxygen molecules would combine with hydrogen is if a thermonuclear reaction occurred inside your tire.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by eclou
The only way the oxygen molecules would combine with hydrogen is if a thermonuclear reaction occurred inside your tire.
Hilarious

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in tires