997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Nitrogen in tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:59 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Nitrogen in tires

Has anybody used nitrogen in their tires on a turbo? I understand it does a much better job of maintaining tire pressure. If so, can I just use regular nitrogen available at welding supply companies? Does anybody sell "plumbing kits" to transfer the nitrogen from the tank to the tire?

Old 08-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Samiz7 is on a distinguished road
I too am considering this. btw, nice color and awesome wheels....

Old 08-23-2008, 04:30 PM
AZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to behold
I use nitrogen on my track tires. tire temp doesnt heat up as much during a 20 min session.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 PM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up N2

I picked up a N2 Cylinder and N2 and regulator on ebay for my new garage

Tank is 110 cu ft

Coil 50 ft Hose

Airchuck has a built in gauge...

All for 225.00

My air presssure last over amonth now

I mounted the cylinder against the wall with a tank wall mount..

You can find some more portibleat powertank.com

Gee-Bee

P.S. Big O Tire has a nitrogen lifetime program for 24.95 per auto.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:03 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Education is key. Read then decide for yourself if paying extra to fill up your tires is worth it or distilled snake oil.

https://secure.powertank.com/truth.or.hype

Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Education is key. Read then decide for yourself if paying extra to fill up your tires is worth it or distilled snake oil.

That was good information...but I spent at least $24.95 of my time reading it. I've had N2 in my TT tires for over 15 months now and during the entire time the pressures have remained constant measured using a pretty good manual gauge and TPMS. For that alone, I like it.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:30 AM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
That was good information...but I spent at least $24.95 of my time reading it. I've had N2 in my TT tires for over 15 months now and during the entire time the pressures have remained constant measured using a pretty good manual gauge and TPMS. For that alone, I like it.
Like I said, decide for yourself. I'm not pretending to know all about it to say one way or another.
I know that Nitrogen is used in certain applications and they do it for a reason. My point simply is that I wonder if it's truly worth it for the average person driving to work every day. If you are a daily tracker, then there may be some advantage, but for the most part it seems N2 isn't increasingly helpful for normal situations.

And I'm sorry it cost you 24.95 to read the article.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:36 AM
hidalgo is on a distinguished road
I am in the trucking business running hundreds of tires that run more in a month than most most Porsches run in a year and we believe putting nitrogen in tires is essentially useless.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stradaONE8

Good article StradaONE8 and spot on regarding the behavior of ideal gases. At typical automotive tire operating pressures and temperatures (even at track conditions), the gas used to inflate a tire will behave as an ideal gas (i.e., quite predictably). Air, pure oxygen, and pure nitrogen will all have a compressibility factor essentially equal to one (1) at these conditions. Also note that “air” is actually already about 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen (with traces of other gases such as CO2).

I also took a look at a couple of heat capacity correlations for pure oxygen and pure nitrogen. For you non-technical types, the heat capacity for any material (gas, liquid, or solid) is the amount of heat input (BTUs) required to raise the temperature of one lb of that material by one degree F. Oxygen and nitrogen (and of course, air) have nearly identical heat capacities at typical tire conditions. Thus, a given amount of frictional heat generated by a tire on a road surface would result in essentially the same temperature rise of the gas inside the tire. Air and nitrogen also have very similar heat transfer coefficients so the ability of the tire to absorb or release heat should be the same with either.
If the compressed air were not well dried, this would actually mitigate the temperature rise. Water vapor actually has a higher heat capacity than either air or nitrogen so the presence of water vapor would result in less temperature rise for a given heat input compared to dry nitrogen.
<o></o>
At say 100 degF and 40 psig, there would be about 0.384 lb-mass of dry nitrogen or 0.395 lb of dry air inside a rear tire on a stock TT. So there is not any significant weight difference either that would explain differences in tire performance or handling with different gases.
<o></o>
As a chemical engineer I just had to prove it to myself and based on the above, I have a hard time believing that using pure nitrogen has any real advantage over good quality compressed air. As John Adams said “Facts are stubborn things”.

Last edited by turbojohn54; 07-28-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-2008, 08:33 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I used to run nitrogen on the street and a couple of track events. Honestly I think if you have proper rims/valve stems losing air pressure isnt really an issue, and I couldnt see a difference in temps at the track either, it may have been a bit cooler, but not enough to see a dramatic difference.

Plus they have air everywhere, and with the amount of air that I bleed during a track event it would be just an added hassle to fill up with nitrogen when its time to go home.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Obie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these parts
Hard to argue with the test results in the link but it is odd that my Denali is the only car that I have never had to top up with air every 3 months or so. The shop that mounted my wheels put nitrogen in without asking me so I said what the heck. It's been almost a year now and the psi is dead on when they were mounted. Just coincidence I guess.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
its such a coincidence that this thread has come up now, i just had my tires filled with nitrogen yesterday as i got fed up of the tire pressure monitor coming up every once in a while. Its just been 1 day from when i used nitrogen, so i cant really comment on how effective it is in eliminating ordinary air leakage, however i would be observing it closely in the coming month.

when i turned up with my car at the tyre shop and asked for nitrogen fill-up, the guy working there told me that he would not recommend nitrogen for my porsche, his reason was that it keeps your tires cooler and i would need warm tires for added traction, i still insisted on filling up with it (how much cooler could it be with aggressive driving and a hot climate afterall).

Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
mannytt will become famous soon enoughmannytt will become famous soon enough
i've been told that it's good for hot climates

Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by turbojohn54
Good article StradaONE8 and spot on regarding the behavior of ideal gases. At typical automotive tire operating pressures and temperatures (even at track conditions), the gas used to inflate a tire will behave as an ideal gas (i.e., quite predictably). Air, pure oxygen, and pure nitrogen will all have a compressibility factor essentially equal to one (1) at these conditions. Also note that “air” is actually already about 79% nitrogen and 21% nitrogen (with traces of other gases such as CO2).

I also took a look at a couple of heat capacity correlations for pure oxygen and pure nitrogen. For you non-technical types, the heat capacity for any material (gas, liquid, or solid) is the amount of heat input (BTUs) required to raise the temperature of one lb of that material by one degree F. Oxygen and nitrogen (and of course, air) have nearly identical heat capacities at typical tire conditions. Thus, a given amount of frictional heat generated by a tire on a road surface would result in essentially the same temperature rise of the gas inside the tire. Air and nitrogen also have very similar heat transfer coefficients so the ability of the tire to absorb or release heat should be the same with either.
If the compressed air were not well dried, this would actually mitigate the temperature rise. Water vapor actually has a higher heat capacity than either air or nitrogen so the presence of water vapor would result in less temperature rise for a given heat input compared to dry nitrogen.
<o>></o>>
At say 100 degF and 40 psig, there would be about 0.384 lb-mass of dry nitrogen or 0.395 lb of dry air inside a rear tire on a stock TT. So there is not any significant weight difference either that would explain differences in tire performance or handling with different gases.
<o>></o>>
As a chemical engineer I just had to prove it to myself and based on the above, I have a hard time believing that using pure nitrogen has any real advantage over good quality compressed air. As John Adams said “Facts are stubborn things”.
I try. You have a much firmer grasp of the physics involved than I do.

I thought it'd be useful for people to read the science behind it and not just what someone says about it with a financial bias, so they can charge you money for something you hardly need.

Perhaps helium...?
They do fill racing bicycle tires with it...

Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
Great info on the nitrogen.

Been thinking long and hard on doing this. My local Porsche has a deal for $79 for all 4 tires for a lifetime of nitrogen.

The jury is still out on this for me and I ll wait til I see more empirical results from the ones that use it.

My tires have been down only once in a year.

Cabman

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in tires