997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Can a Porsche Turbo be made into a good track car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:22 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BradPete
Actually, the HP level is not problem for the car or the brakes- only tyres have hard times when stopping
That means you need better brake modulation. The TT has good brakes. But not enough to stop from 170 mph several times because you have too much hp.

Of course Turbo is easier to tune up engine wise- but the potential for track is not there... it is a perfect fast GT car for street
Rubbish. There are several people tracking Turbos here and running with and past GT3's Z06's and whatever else is on the track. You have nothing to back that blanket statement.

Dry weight RS 3030/ TT 3725, it is a HUGE difference in track and needs a heavy diet
Dry weight means nothing. You dont drive dry. And how do you come up with a dry wieght of 3725 for a TT. That's rediculous. and would put the TT with fluids at almost 4k lbs. You are misinformed. A Tiptronic has been weighed at a little over 3600 lbs curbweight. The manual is a lot lighter. In the 3500's so take the 200 lbs out that I said and that give you ~3300 lbs.

True- but still I think GT2 would be the perfect platform for fast track car- not our heavy TT 4WD....I did it but now afterwards I don't know why....
The GT2 is the better platform, it starts off better, and would end better. But the TT is far from incapable. In fact there are some TT's here that will run with your cup car.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM
BradPete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
But not enough to stop from 170 mph several times because you have too much hp.
Well, with PCCB's there are no what so ever problems so far tracking it. Actually,braking does not have anything to do with HP's, You can get to braking in with less HP & same speed multiple times( i.e different tracks). Brakes are good.

Rubbish. There are several people tracking Turbos here and running with and past GT3's Z06's and whatever else is on the track. You have nothing to back that blanket statement.
Nice... I have not said once You can't beat those cars, it is track dependant. I even mentioned earlier I can pass GT2's but the question is if this car is at home there: No it's not. I know You guys in US like big straights & ovals, but in short straight tracks with multiple curves- it is not nice with TT- believe me, I have done some 1000 laps this season.

And how do you come up with a dry wieght of 3725 for a TT. That's rediculous. and would put the TT with fluids at almost 4k lbs. You are misinformed.
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...97_MY09_PD.pdf

page 63/67= weight

In fact there are some TT's here that will run with your cup car.
True... in ovals or tracks with long straights.

Don't get again too serious here, I still have my TT and love it many other way

Last edited by BradPete; 09-09-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
[media]http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/Catalogue_911_Turbo_997_MY09_PD.pdf[/media]

last page= weight
Curb weight, total weight? What's the difference?

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...s/?gtabindex=5

Last edited by bbywu; 09-09-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Sorry, my mistake- it was Cab weight TT weight is 3 571 dry

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Well, with PCCB's there are no what so ever problems so far tracking it. Actually,braking does not have anything to do with HP's, You can get to braking in with less HP & same speed multiple times( i.e different tracks). Brakes are good.

Nice... I have not said once You can't beat those cars, it is track dependant. I even mentioned earlier I can pass GT2's but the question is if this car is at home there: No it's not. I know You guys in US like big straights & ovals, but in short straight tracks with multiple curves- it is not nice with TT- believe me, I have done some 1000 laps this season.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...97_MY09_PD.pdf

last page= weight

True... in ovals on tracks with long straights.

Don't get again too serious here, I still have my TT and love it many other way
Maybe with PCCB's but I know with steel rotors stopping from 170+ will not make your brakes happy.

I think you are trying to compare your TT to the cup car in which your description would be accurate, but there are too many people who have found other results. My car has gone faster than many cup cars on tighter tracks and on lesser tires. And compares favorably with many of the PCA cup car classes. So to think it would have more problems with a street GT3 is far fetched.

I know this for a fact, though my car is a 996 TT. I do think the 996 TT is better suited for mods and road racing, but not by that much. The car is very capable and it's been confirmed by many drivers, pro and amatuer.

And I'm not talking about ovals.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
I think you are trying to compare your TT to the cup car.
Actually no, comparing to 997GT2 997GT3RS, we have been together at the track!

I know many here and all over the world thinks like You- until they have experience something better!

My TT kills 99,9% cars on street- on track I would rather leave it to parking lot

Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
There are some guy's who are FAST here with their TT's (Tom Kerr, Heavychevy, Mikelly, Sechgang when he had it, etc) and who set them up properly, but it takes a lot more time/money and effort/trial/error .... It can be done, and it's all at "what cost" basically, if you do the best of the best components off the bat, and have a real serious shop do your work/corner balancing and alignment you will cut out half the battle.

IMO, I had my turbo on the track but it just wasn't for me, I didn't go crazy on it because I knew I just wouldn't be happy in the end, coming from my monster RWD M3 I needed something light/rwd and nimble feeling again... The GT2 is what you should get if you miss that turbo power and torque but want a serious track performer... No one can deny it here, it's the perfect platform for what you want, it just comes down to preference of AWD to RWD and whether you want a car that's so extreme with no aids/sound deadening/creature comforts...

Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Mod TT,s destroy even mod RS,s in the track.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Actually no, comparing to 997GT2 997GT3RS, we have been together at the track!

I know many here and all over the world thinks like You- until they have experience something better!

My TT kills 99,9% cars on street- on track I would rather leave it to parking lot

That's the problem, you built your car for the street, not for the track. Not saying you could ever achieve the FEEL of a GT3/RS, but you can certainly make them EAT your dust.

Talking purely about capability here. And the TT is capable with far less money in it than you have in yours. That is a garuantee.