997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Can a Porsche Turbo be made into a good track car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:08 PM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Can a Porsche Turbo be made into a good track car?

Folks-

i currently track a 997GT3RS - great car, but miss the torque off of the corners. I have had many 911 turbos, but my question is - can a 996X50 or 997 TT be made into a great track car with suspension mods, and increased power? I tried JRZ on my 996 Turbo and did not like the results - it could have been dialed in wrong.

Please let me know - I have a good buddy who is offering me a great deal on a low mileage 997 TT. I would probably still keep the GT3RS.

-Gerry

07 GT3RS

Sold:
04 GT3
08 TT
07TT
05 GT3
02 TTX50
2 993 Cup cars
IMSA GTS-1
93 RSA
92 911 Turbo S2
80 SC

Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Answer is yes, and it won't cost that much to do it. R compounds, alignment, springs/coilovers, sways, rear toe links and dog bones are the probable increasing order of suspension mods. The power is not that necessary to do but a stage II car with suspension mods should be all but untouchable at the track.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:54 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I can vouch for a 996 TT, especially an X-50. Add a good ECU flash, sways, coils, brake cooling and fluids, and do some easy weight reduction and you'll have a beast on your hands.

What didnt you like about the JRZ on your other turbo???

Old 09-06-2008, 03:33 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Its easier to make a 997TT handle close to a GT3 than it is a GT3 to have the power of the TT. Some well chosen suspension parts and a great alignment and it will be a massive improvement.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:47 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Do you think dogbones are overkill for the street? I am thinking of sways next and then dog bones and then ECU tune. I like handling first and then speed second

I am getting 19" forged wheels soon(not OEM). Still deciding.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:03 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Why dogbones?? And yes overkill for the street.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:13 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Hey whats up Des

Dogbones for the track but thought they would be overkill for the street. Sways was my next step and then I thought about the droplinks but not sure if they really make an impact or not then dogbones. I like the handling more than the speed at this moment.

I meeting up with Dion and Candace in a bit. She can drink me under the table - youngins

How are ya?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Candace? Drink? Really?

Anyways, I wouldnt jump into that seriousof a mod until you have quite a bit of track time in the TT already. In terms of mods:

Driver
Brakes (fluid, pads, COOLING)
Sways
Coils
Tires

Set a baseline, then start toying with droplinks, control arms, bushings etc.

But certainly get out and put the car through it's paces first so you can get used to it in a track environment.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
Why not just buy a GT2 ?

Old 09-06-2008, 09:01 PM
About 70,000 extra reasons not to.

Actually with depreciation, about 85,000.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:01 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Might be worth your while to take a look at this thread http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...&page=0#449462. I think it contains very useful data and specifications regarding suspension mods for the 997 Turbo.

I understand what you are missing btw. I recently had one of those rental drives of a half dozen of exotic cars (Lambo, Ferrari F430, Ford GT40, etc.) for the afternoon. As a Turbo owner, I missed the power dearly even when I was in a fantastic car such as the F430; it seemed "incomplete" somehow. The way you asked the question, I believe it's a matter of when that the Turbo is in your garage. Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:09 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi Alpine,

FWIW (I have no personal experience), my installer agrees with you & heavy chevy. He is also hesitant about the dog bones and thinks it is overkill unless you are a track junkie. He thinks the benefits may not be worth the NVH that they add.

The Tarett drop links most definitely make a difference. We talked about it towards the end of the rennteam thread in my signature line. Here is my impression in that thread:

A quick review on the Tarett drop link. Without: Car is more quiet, softer, sometimes feel "bouncy" (that's the best word I could think of). With Tarett: Car is a little more noisy (road noise transmission through tires), feels stiffer for sure, but also more planted and precise. There is a tradeoff of NVH versus precision and better road feel here.

There is another poster on rennteam who had also added drop links to his Bilstein PSS10 Turbo. His impression mirrors mine, except he thinks that it doesn't add road noise at all.

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Hey whats up Des

Dogbones for the track but thought they would be overkill for the street. Sways was my next step and then I thought about the droplinks but not sure if they really make an impact or not then dogbones. I like the handling more than the speed at this moment.

I meeting up with Dion and Candace in a bit. She can drink me under the table - youngins

How are ya?

Last edited by cannga; 09-06-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:36 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
R compounds and a good alignment, the rest is gravy esp if you are an experienced driver.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Alcyon has a spectacular aura aboutAlcyon has a spectacular aura about
...and dont forget light rims. It is like night
and day difference to me

Last edited by Alcyon; 08-12-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
On my 996TT, I did a full JIC system with front and rear sways (adj), links from Agency power, and control arms....night and day. Instructors with gt3's felt it handles as well as anything awd could.

Have to give credit to the corner balance to gt2 specs....

But, many would say keep your gt3rs. The turbo trannys DO NOT have oil coiling. If you plan to do long stints, get that mode. Many can do it. A thread was around about it on a 996TT....ended up being done by S-car-go.... It was about 2k..I called them. Nice guys. I don't have it and plan to limits my driving to street and perhaps short stuff....nothing harsh. But, if you are a track junkie...something to be aware of. It is debatable if you need a tranny cooler. ....but, if I was a gt3rs hardcore track guy, I would do it in a second.

Gt3RS will keep more value over the years. Not sure I'd sell...

Jeff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can a Porsche Turbo be made into a good track car?