997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

I am a nail magnet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Nova87 is on a distinguished road
I am a nail magnet

There is no other rational explanation.

I leave work today, start my car, hear the beep and get the dreaded "tire flat" message. Fearing the worst I get out and survey the tire finding a nail just at the edge of the tire. No idea how it got there since all I've done is drive from my house to work 15 mile round trip. The nail is not thick, actually rather thin but the station attendant where I filled up with air was convinced that the tire could not be saved.

I had two nails last year in my old 996 the first of which was days after putting new tires on it and this year my SUV also had a rather large roofing nail in it.

Now one week after purchasing this one.....another f'ing nail.

I assume I'll need new tires, but can this be fixed temporarily? If not does anyone know where I might get a new set of rear tires this weekend or tomorrow in Northern NJ - Morristown area? If there is no place then I will order from tirerack.

Thanks,

Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Liv4SpdJr is on a distinguished road
its happend to me multiple times...

Old 09-18-2008, 06:37 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Just had a similar puncture. Nail into the edge of the tread and out the sidewall of the tire. The Porsche supplied goo wouldn't work, and the tire wasn't repairable. After 14,000 miles I needed a whole new set of tires even though I could possibly have gotten another 3,000 miles out of the fronts. According to 1-800-PORSCHE, technical people, if I were to mix a new rear set with the nearly worn out set of front tires, I would risk damage to the AWD system and it wouldn't be covered by warranty.

So I needed a new set of tires. Now the fun begins, because of differing "slip angles" and tire circumferences the technical folks recommended that I not mix tire brands on the same axle or "N" versions either. OK fair enough. When I called the Tire Rack they only had a set of Parellis in stock, a brand I'm not fond of for a number of reasons. In order to get a set of matching Michelins or Bridgestones I'd have to wait several weeks for their back orders to be filled.

It ended up 1-800-PORSCHE Roadside Assistance sent out flatbed to take my car (2007 997 Turbo) to the dealer where it waited for about 4 working days (Labor day weekend added another 3 days) until a new set of Bridgestone "N1" tires could be flown in from Germany. They didn't have them in stock in their Atlanta parts depot.

You may find that Porsche now has them in stock or maybe your local dealer may even have them (mine didn't). I'd start with the Tire Rack keeping in mind you can't mix brands and "N" numbers. Then your local dealer and then Porsche Roadside assistance. But standby for a ram! A set of Bridgestones cost $1700 and change mounted, balanced and installed.

I have to say the new tires are great, just about broken in.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:43 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Caution! If you need to flatbed your car and it has been lowered or the tire is flat you'll need some pieces of wood to get the car onto the truck without damage to the bodywork. About 10 pieces of 2"X6" - 10" long did the trick.

The tow truck driver might have something like this on his truck, mine didn't. At least not enough.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 PM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Tow

I carry a small phillips screw driver to remove my front lip just in case it happens again...

I removed the torx screw for the Phillips head

Gee-Bee

Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 PM
No one has any good news?

This sux. Only 3K miles on the car.

I had conti sport 2's on my 996 are the conti sport 3's any good? I got decent traction and treadwear out of the 2s.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:30 AM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
take a look at where you normally travel to. I noticed whenever I drive through new home developments, there's all sorts of stuff on the road.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Nova87
No one has any good news?

This sux. Only 3K miles on the car.

I had conti sport 2's on my 996 are the conti sport 3's any good? I got decent traction and treadwear out of the 2s.
Check with 1-800-Porsche technical. With that low mileage you may be able to replace just the one tire, or a least just the tires on the one axle.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by GEE-BEE
I carry a small phillips screw driver to remove my front lip just in case it happens again...

I removed the torx screw for the Phillips head

Gee-Bee
That didn't work for me. Without wood blocks to help raise the car the rear of the car would have dragged to the extent that the mufflers would have been severely damaged. The front lip did scrape, but it is flexible enough that no damage occurred. Of course if the lip had been painted it would be a different story.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Probably can't be repaired sitting at the shoulder like that. PM sent.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Tire was plugged to get me through today, but installer said order new tires, so I did. Hopefully they'll be here Monday or Tuesday. Car made it to work and back grand total of 15 miles of stop and go driving. Will be laid up all weekend. Gives me an excuse to wash and wax it from top to bottom.

Another question - how do you guys deal with the front spoiler. I've scraped it about 10 times already, mostly getting into my driveway.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Nova87
Tire was plugged to get me through today, but installer said order new tires, so I did. Hopefully they'll be here Monday or Tuesday. Car made it to work and back grand total of 15 miles of stop and go driving. Will be laid up all weekend. Gives me an excuse to wash and wax it from top to bottom.

Another question - how do you guys deal with the front spoiler. I've scraped it about 10 times already, mostly getting into my driveway.
funny i have had so many nails is gt2's and 3's and TT's but none in strads.

I also have run plugged [properly form inside with flap attached and glued inside] tyres for many miles, altho i would never recommend it!!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Had the latest sled for 4 days when Tire Pressure warning system set off. Able to make it to a specialty shop who patched it correctly. Been through countless sets of tires for piercing sidewalls and having to buy a set for balanced handling at speed on all my cars.
Only in NJ though ... never happens at the N.C. house, or when out in Southern Cali. So I just chaulk it up to being another one of those "Jersey Thang's"

Shop the tires carefully when replacing them in our area - some places will gouge you on price.

Last edited by SaintlySins; 09-19-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Another question - how do you guys deal with the front spoiler. I've scraped it about 10 times already, mostly getting into my driveway.[/quote]

Well I've learned to approach driveways and speed bumps etc. at an angle, which usually works. The few times I have scraped I've used a piece of fine emery cloth to sand off the "hair" on the bottom of the lip. To further insure I don't have scraping problems I bought two spare lips ($130 each). Seems to have solved the problem as I'm still on the original lip.

BTW my car is slightly lowered.