997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo Daily Driver in Boston?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:29 AM
sayegh87 has a spectacular aura aboutsayegh87 has a spectacular aura aboutsayegh87 has a spectacular aura about
997 Turbo Daily Driver in Boston?

As you have read in the title, I am interested in a maybe getting a 997 turbo for boston, but as many of you know it snows quite a bit over there and the amount of pot holes there are unbelievable. Anyone have any suggestions or have gone through a similar experience?

Also I no they have facelifted the 2009 Turbo, any idea when it will hit dealerships?

Last is when will the 997 be replaced?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 AM
wwjd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sayegh87
As you have read in the title, I am interested in a maybe getting a 997 turbo for boston, but as many of you know it snows quite a bit over there and the amount of pot holes there are unbelievable. Anyone have any suggestions or have gone through a similar experience?

Also I no they have facelifted the 2009 Turbo, any idea when it will hit dealerships?

Last is when will the 997 be replaced?
It is fine to drive around Boston whole year long, just dont drive it during snow days. BTW, the route 128 is much better than before.
im not sure that you can get a 09 coupe recently. but most of dealers has caps.
BTW, waiting replaced, you will never get a car

Old 10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
sayegh87 has a spectacular aura aboutsayegh87 has a spectacular aura aboutsayegh87 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the info... why cant i get an 09? too long of a waiting list... is that what you mean?

Btw didnt understand the last thing u said.. =$

Old 10-09-2008, 05:14 PM
wwjd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sayegh87
Thanks for the info... why cant i get an 09? too long of a waiting list... is that what you mean?

Btw didnt understand the last thing u said.. =$
probably you have to order and wait...

Old 10-09-2008, 05:51 PM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
The 997TT can definately be used as a daily driver around BOS. Just have to avoid potholes and pay attention. And these cars will make it on snowy days too, just not worth the hair rasiing experiences they bring with it.

As far as obtaining one, you can order one now and have it within 2 or so months according to the dealer I was jsut speaking with. I heavily advise against going with Chambers in BOS. If you want more info, pm me and I'll send some your way.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:26 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I bought my 996TT from the original owner in Boston and can second the above...I dealt with their service chief....

He got in the car, pushed the clutch down once (engine off) and told me it needed a new clutch for sure.

Uhmmmm...PPI at the PCA club speed shop...was fine. NO slave. No accumulator. No issues.

JB

Old 10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
I've been in Boston almost 4 months - use mine 3 to 4 times a week. No issues. No plans to use in after the snow starts.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
I drive my 997TT tip every day in NY, including NYC. IMHO, you will NEVER be disappointed by the TT. She really is a perfect grunt for my lifestyle. How many daily drivers can deal with the mundane daily grind, but also have fun with superbikes in stoplight "drag racing" ? Yesterday I drove to Brooklyn from LI in bumper to bumper traffic and today I had fun with a v-max motorcycle (I was 1 car length behind up to about 100-110). BTW, the TT can be driven in snow with AWD, but don't expect miracles, unless you opt for true winter rubber. Personally, I use my Wrangler when there is more than 2 inches of snow; BUT I have plowed through approx. 6 inches in my TT before the front air dam obstructed forward momentum. Most TT owners I know in the NY area are not Sunday drivers. If you want a reliable steed to flog the **** out of on a daily basis, you need look no further.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:18 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Couldnt agree more. I use mine as a daily driver as well (21K miles since Feb 26th) and its fantastic. I got bilsteins so its dropped like crazy and as long as I take it easy on roads I dont know and just drive carefully through the city I've had no real issues.

With your daily commute if you havent learned where the bad lanes are, potholes, ridges, etc, you will certainly learn them in a week of driving the TT and just avoid them.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 PM
ramone is an unknown quantity at this point
Ehlain Sayegh,

I drive 996 TT as a daily driver in Boston for three years and also track on weekends. You will not enjoy driving it in Winter as people don't care if they damage others cars and you will always be on edge about your car. I always say that I will drive the TT but end up renting SUV for 4 months during winter. If you are planning on modding, then it is def. not practical for winter, as anything you do to rims or suspension will bite you in the *** with rust/salt and pot holes (flat tires). If you don't mind renting SUV for the winter months then go with the TT. If you are planning to mod, then you don't really have choice about getting SUV in the winter. However, if you are not looking to rent in the winter and are looking for a true Boston daily driver TT is not for you. It will be too much pain than it is worth believe me.

Hope this was helpful. Ismi 6arek we Adris fi BU btw. sh!tsowi fi boston ?

Last edited by ramone; 11-06-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:50 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I agree with Ramone. I lived in Boston for four years and drove a beater which is what your 997tt will become after time, albeit a $140K one. It's all about how much risk you can afford, particulary with the all crazy drivers in that city.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:59 AM
docjackson1 will become famous soon enough
first of all, you can definitely find a new 09 turbo-just check dealer's inventory at porsche.com and start calling-there are not a ton of turbo coupes out there, but they are there. you must put winter tires on the car-my practice is to not be afraid to take it to work if there is a possibility of a couple inches of winter precip, but if i knew that there was going to be a major snow storm, i would take the subaru.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:14 PM
yimma is on a distinguished road
dont ruin a beautiful car like that. i work in the north end and even in the summer i take my 996tt into town maybe once or twice aweek.ppl bump you when theyre parking and ****. i've gotten into close fist fights because ppl are so disrespectful towards other peoples property. so winter? get a golf for a dd and you'll appreciate the porsche more. the amount of salt the city uses is rediculous.i take mine out on really clear road days in the winter every 2 or 3 weeks just to keep the battery charged. i go for a 40 to 60 mile blast and i,ve been good to go for the last couple of years. no battery tender, just a nice ride once or twice a month and everything get taken care of.i also stay on summer tires, but lower pressures30/35 , seems to work for me. anyway, its your car so its up to you. i say get a winter/daily driver and you'll appreciate that porsche more.good luck

Old 10-17-2009, 04:24 PM
BostonRocket will become famous soon enough
I drive mine everyday. No issues if you use common sense in parking, and can deal with that. No issues with regards with potholes. It's all about controlling what you can, and avoiding as much of what you cannot.

Obviously, I won't be driving my car if it snows. The front end is just to low, and the City of Boston does not pay me to plow their roads with it.

'Rocket

Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 AM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
i am in the area and WILL use mine year round, snows and all

it is the ultimate year round sports car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo Daily Driver in Boston?