997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Soft Windshield..........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:17 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
The windshield is definitely vulnerable to road conditions. I'm at close to 18K miles and I can't tell you how horrible the windshield is when looking into the sun - its a freaking misery. It was particularly noticeable after a DRE in July. My dealer blamed it on tracking the car with other cars spitting up "whatever" onto the windshield and hood. There is some truth to that as my windshield and hood was definitely "pitted" after the DRE. I can blame one particular 997GT3 for that.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM
mozhacker will become famous soon enough
Resurrecting the thread as I found it via search instead of starting new one. Glad to know I'm not only one with window pitting / marks / speckles whatever...

Brand new 997.2 turbo barely couple months old and 3k miles, noticed my windshield in direct sunlight already starting to look bad - tiny little specks or dots all over. Livable for now but I'm only in month 2, dreading how bad it'll look in a year

Irony is my paint on hood and front bumper is still fine. I'm ok with normal wear and tear chips - to either paint or windshield, but looks like whatever glass Porsche uses is really prone to this

Even on my side windows, near the area just back of the side mirrors where I assume the air stream travels most, I can see this speckling starting to happen

Anyone have luck when replacing their windshield by using non-OEM glass?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kafka997
I have a product, similar to 3m (sorry I forget the product name - your detailer can help you) on my windshield and it has saved me from lots of nick, dings, and cracks. It has to be replaced every few years as it picks up the marks but it's only about $300 (and it has UV protection too!). It's a clear product.
I think the product you are speaking about is clear-plex. Might be spelled wrong. Premier in California installs it. I have no first hand knowledge but when my car was getting filmed I inquired locally and was told that it is great for a track event but for a DD the wipers will scratch it and you will be changing it often so, enjoy it and deal with the aftermath.-have glass insurance!