997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997tt owners, switch pasm off on track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:49 AM
jamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to behold
997tt owners, switch pasm off on track?

hey everyone, this is only for those of us who track our tt's. does anyone switch off pasm during DE events or other track days? i am wondering if anyone also suspects that the pasm isn't reacting correctly due to extensive mods on my car (pilot cup tires, upgraded dogbones/lower control arms, cup sway bars, lowered on pss10s, and a lot more power thru chip and header/exhaust), aka more grip and more power which may change the car's balance. for those of you who are like duhhh just switch it off, the tradeoff has always been safety, as i'm not a pro driver and would like to avoid damaging my ride... i just don't like pasm jumping in when i'm driving at eight tenths. maybe it's a dumb question, but throwing it out there. thoughts?

Old 12-26-2008, 11:07 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I leave it on, it rarely intervenes and my car has a few mods. If you drive smooth it shouldn't be an issue. Besides none of us are pro drivers and the turbo is my dd.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
+1^ proper technique and you won't know it's there

Old 12-26-2008, 11:19 AM
jamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to behold
agreed with both of you guys, smoothness, technique... tt just so hard to squirt through quick weight shifting corners. car seems to yaw a lot, and pasm jumps in.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:41 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Compared to the 996TT, the 997TT's system is very unobtrusive. Leave it on.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:13 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I leave mine on all the time. Rarely comes on when you're smooth.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:52 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I leave mine on. I am never pushing hard enough to activate it unless I make a big mistake, in which case I want it there. Also even if you turn it off, it turns back on once you activate ABS anyway. The key in such a heavy high HP car is to be smooth. If you are not smooth you will find yourself eating up the rear brake pads since the car will gently and silently correct your mistakes even when you are not "blowing it." Many TT and Gt3 owners have been very surprised to find their rear pads demolished after a preliminary track outing...

Old 12-26-2008, 05:01 PM
NITEALB is infamous around these parts
pasm in track (firm) mode and psm off - need psm off to gain full control especially in tight slow turns where u wanna get out as quickly as possible. the sport mode allows for more lateral slip than the regular mode but to extract the final 10-15% from the car u need to turn it off.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:10 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Leave mine on also.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:37 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gretapass
Leave mine on also.
I'd also like to add...in my 18 months of ownership, I have seen PSM light up once on my dash, and it was in the snow when I took a corner a little fast. On my 996TT, it would go on all the time...dry, rain, snow...etc.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:09 PM
crd
crd is infamous around these parts
I leave mine on, too

Early on, it activated once or twice, because I was just learning. For almost all of this past season, never went on, even tho I was driving faster. I was just getting smoother with more seat time. Recommend leave it on, like eclou says, just in case.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:30 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I leave it on, very unobtrusive, and only really gets enabled when I do something I shouldn't have.

At the beginning of the season I did see my rear brakes get eaten away faster, but as it went on it seems that is no longer really the case. I thought it was something to do with the bias, but apparently it could have been the PSM.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:08 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
I leave it on. It has a very high threshold but will bail you out if you get it totally wrong. Mine is modded similarly to yours and I'm no pro driver but am "advanced" and have done about ~20 DEs.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:57 AM
nice to see other guys with modded tt's around the city! somehow i allowed f/loles guys to throw on dymags tho so i have to tiptoe around if i drive it at all tho...

guys, turns out a front diff issue could have thrown off my pasm on the track. sorry for the confusion. long live driver's aids!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
If it's your dd leave it on all the time; end of story.

I have a 996tt and when I do track days I leave it on all the time. At first it was very intrusive but as my smoothness improved it became less and less so and now I rarely ever feel it at all. It will not allow me to explore the limits of my car's ability but that is not my interest. It has made me a better driver but not the fastest I could possibly be. So what? It's just a DE.