997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Randy Probst driving APR 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tclayj
Running APR stage II. Constant 15 psi peaking to 17. Have yet to see 18psi, but then again my turbo linkage came loose. Following the repair I have yet to push it.

so your boost with APR reached 17 psi ???

Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
the video clearly states 638lb/ft of torque, was that before the exhaust and on pump gas?
Yes, this video was done after they completed writing the new software. It was since been fitted with an exhaust, headers, sport suspension from Koni, and BBS RSGT's. They make up the power from lower boost numbers with timing so they can achieve similar numbers from their competitors but with less work from the turbos.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:37 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
Yes, this video was done after they completed writing the new software. It was since been fitted with an exhaust, headers, sport suspension from Koni, and BBS RSGT's. They make up the power from lower boost numbers with timing so they can achieve similar numbers from their competitors but with less work from the turbos.
sorry but i can not send pm , am new here ...
thnx for you care ,,,

am just wana besure how boost i will reache with APR .. becouse i allready moded it in my car .. when i was stock my boost reach 14 psi ,, now when i put the APR tune it just become 15 psi !!!! so is it normal ?? or the tune is wrong ?? as well as i did not feel much power in my car .. so am afraid that maybe the tune is wrong .. thanks for your kind
waiting your answer

Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
I can answer your question with more detail in an email if you want to email me @ mkrisel@gmpperformance.com

Depending on internal temperatures and weather conditions boost pressure and fluctuate within 1-2psi. I have the APR Software in both my 2.0Turbo VW cars and I always achieve a little more boost in the mornings going to work then I do on my way home but either way it's still a significant change from stock. So you currently have APR Software is what your saying?

It's possible your car is in the stock program or that the security option is activated which is when all your programs are locked and the car is in stock program.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 AM
I can answer your question with more detail in an email if you want to email me @ mkrisel@gmpperformance.com

Depending on internal temperatures and weather conditions boost pressure and fluctuate within 1-2psi. I have the APR Software in both my 2.0Turbo VW cars and I always achieve a little more boost in the mornings going to work then I do on my way home but either way it's still a significant change from stock. So you currently have APR Software is what your saying?

It's possible your car is in the stock program or that the security option is activated which is when all your programs are locked and the car is in stock program.
email sent..

Old 08-31-2009, 09:36 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
How many APR tune 997TT have they done?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Site Sponsor
YSfg35- I received your email and working on your reply.

Meaker, I can only speak for GMP. Locally between 5 and 10 cars locally and I have done atleast 10 or so internationally. We are not the only APR Dealer though so I'm sure there are many more. We are one of only 2 or 3 sponsors on here that are actual APR dealers versus atleast 10-20 sponsors on here are GIAC dealers. Most APR dealers are on the VW and Audi specific forums or they are strictly local service.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Site Sponsor
We also offer a 30 day money back promise, if your not satisfied you can come back in get flashed completely back to stock and we will refund 100%. The software purchase comes with stock program, 93 or 91 performance program, 100 octane program, Valet, Anti theft, and security

Old 08-31-2009, 12:22 PM
tclayj is on a distinguished road
I constantly stay at 15. I have hit 17 with the uparrow, however, I encountered that on two occasions for a few seconds. This occuring only after an aftermarket exhaust install.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I rich tune is more likely to spit flames from the exhaust, which will add access heat to the rear bumper causing it to brown in color. Most times the discoloration can be buffed out, but it's no different than race cars spitting flames.

This is assuming that he meant this, since it's really the only legit explanation I can think of.

However there are plenty of stock vehicles that can spit flames, especially when the cats are altered or removed. So while this is possible, a little more detail would be helpful.
HC, thanks as always. I was wondering myself, if a little mineral spirit wouldn't help?
Yes I agree a little detail would be very helpful, especially since I've never seen this complaint before from a 997 Turbo GIAC tune. It's somewhat of a strange reason for dropping 2-3k for another tune.

Guys who are asking about the boost reading:
Do NOT rely on the dashboard reading of boost! The 997 Turbo is PROGRAMMED to read max values of 1 bar (14 psi) in Normal and 1.2 bar (17.4 psi) in Sport mode, regardless of the true boost values. The max numbers will be the same before and after the tune. What you WILL see is that the car reaches that max numbers much faster and much easier.

As far as true boost, someone in-the-know corrects me if I am wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to see max boost with the 997 Turbo in the range of 1.5 bar/21 psi in Sport mode, or more. I've seen numbers from GT2 tune (sorry didn't think to copy URL), same engine as our Turbo's, that I recall were around 1.6-1.7 bar. (Have never seen 1.8.)

As far as whether some company could find a way to increase torque/power without as much increase in boost as others? I don't think so!
Again someone please correct me as needed, but there are only so much power to be gained from alteration of timing and AFR, the big gain is from boost. If you want more power, you are going to see big boost, no?? Isn't this why it's so much easier to gain power with a Turbo engine, versus NA?

Last edited by cannga; 09-01-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 PM
sleepys4 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cannga
HC, thanks as always. I was wondering myself, if a little mineral spirit wouldn't help?
Yes I agree a little detail would be very helpful, especially since I've never seen this complaint before from a 997 Turbo GIAC tune. It's somewhat of a strange reason for dropping 2-3k for another tune.

Do NOT rely on the dashboard reading of boost! The 997 Turbo is PROGRAMMED to read max out value of 1 bar (14 psi) and 1.2 bar (17.4 psi), regardless of the true boost value. The max numbers will be the same before and after the tune. What you WILL see is that it reaches that max number much faster and much easier.

As far as true boost, someone in-the-know corrects me if I am wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to see max boost with the 997 Turbo in the range of 1.5 bar/21 psi in Sport mode, or more. I've seen numbers from GT2 tune (sorry didn't think to copy URL) that is around 1.6-1.7 bar. (Have never seen 1.8.)

As far as whether some company could find a way to increase torque/power without as much increase in boost as others? I don't think so!
Again someone please correct me as needed, but there are only so much power to be gained from alteration of timing and AFR, the big gain is from boost. If you want more power, you are going to see big boost, no?? Isn't this why it's so much easier to gain power with a Turbo engine, versus NA?
Well said!

Also I am curious as to how much boost the chipped cars are running.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Can,

You are spot on the boost readings. You are also correct in regards to power increases being limited with just timing and AFR changes. My EVOMS tune is supposed to run 18 -19 psi in non sport mode. That is the beauty of a turbo motor. As long as you stay within safe limits, you can increase boost and get some great power increases. I am weary of overboosting the 997tt motor simply because of the cost to replace it, just in case something goes KABOOM. I know our power plants can handle much more, but better to play it safe IMO. I have done many overboosted imports in the past and they can make some stupid power by increasing boost. There is nothing like forced induction!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 AM

Do NOT rely on the dashboard reading of boost! The 997 Turbo is PROGRAMMED to read max values of 1 bar (14 psi) in Normal and 1.2 bar (17.4 psi) in Sport mode, regardless of the true boost values. The max numbers will be the same before and after the tune. What you WILL see is that the car reaches that max numbers much faster and much easier.

As far as true boost, someone in-the-know corrects me if I am wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to see max boost with the 997 Turbo in the range of 1.5 bar/21 psi in Sport mode, or more. I've seen numbers from GT2 tune (sorry didn't think to copy URL), same engine as our Turbo's, that I recall were around 1.6-1.7 bar. (Have never seen 1.8.)

so you mean that with APR tune the boost gone be 17 psi or more .. but it will not apear in the dashboard it just apear 15 psi ??

Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Site Sponsor
So your saying that APR reasoning behind how they are making their software is false? If so have you tried the APR software prior to your purchase of the GIAC software and tested it to see how much PSI they were using and at what RPM's they were using it at?

FYI I don't mean to call you out, It's just that I would like to know what PSI and at which RPM Range they are using it to make their power so I can ask APR about it and see. We haven't had the opportunity to install a boost guage on one of these cars yet so if you have I really would like to know what the results were. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
So your saying that APR reasoning behind how they are making their software is false? If so have you tried the APR software prior to your purchase of the GIAC software and tested it to see how much PSI they were using and at what RPM's they were using it at?

FYI I don't mean to call you out, It's just that I would like to know what PSI and at which RPM Range they are using it to make their power so I can ask APR about it and see. We haven't had the opportunity to install a boost guage on one of these cars yet so if you have I really would like to know what the results were. Thanks.
You don't need a boost gauge. You can collect the data from a Durametric interface.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Randy Probst driving APR 997 Turbo