997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Intercoolers upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Z06
Z06 is infamous around these parts
From my take on this, intercoolers cool the air..on intake which makes more HP...which equals more heat..it has nothing to do with engine cooling..that's what the rad's do.

For track use, do the stock intercoolers get more heat soaked than the aftermarket units?
How do the build materials compare?
Just like a larger rad more volume more cooling?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Z06
Now how far off are these intercoolers compared to the Cargraphic & Manthey units...and how are they very different.
Those coolers are mad money for a reason..what's the reason?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Z06
From my take on this, intercoolers cool the air..on intake which makes more HP...which equals more heat..it has nothing to do with engine cooling..that's what the rad's do.

For track use, do the stock intercoolers get more heat soaked than the aftermarket units?
How do the build materials compare?
Just like a larger rad more volume more cooling?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I see where you are coming from but why do you think ECU's are programmed to pull timing when the engine temps get hot? To protect the motor from detonation of course. How much timing is pulled on a freezing cold day lapping at the track vs 105* day? A ton. You lose a ton of hp in hot conditions because the ECU is working it's butt off to protect the motor, but still, it will only go so far, and you can still detonate due to heat stress. The IC's give your motor more of a feeling of cooler days even when it's hotter. Yeah they heat soak eventually too, but if you're driving a track session or highway blasting for a long time, you'll spend lots less time under ECU controlled timing pull with aftermarket intercoolers and have a FAR FAR less chance of detonation.

The stock intercoolers are also only designed to take stock heat levels. When you mod your car, what used to feel like 70* to the engine now feels like 95* because you're pushing that much more air and combustion through the motor. Not to mention your oil on a FI car is likely working double duty to cool and lubricate the turbos too.

Have you ever noticed that on cooler days your oil temps and water temps don't get as high either? This is what the IC's are helping to acheive, the feel of a cooler day, so now you're helping the radiators do their job too with cooler intake temps.

IMO it's unquestionable that IC's are far more for safety and longevity than they are for power. And they do in fact help the the engine aspect of the cars performance (except maybe lag).

Very similar to running water injection.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:01 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I see where you are coming from but why do you think ECU's are programmed to pull timing when the engine temps get hot? To protect the motor from detonation of course. How much timing is pulled on a freezing cold day lapping at the track vs 105* day? A ton. You lose a ton of hp in hot conditions because the ECU is working it's butt off to protect the motor, but still, it will only go so far, and you can still detonate due to heat stress. The IC's give your motor more of a feeling of cooler days even when it's hotter. Yeah they heat soak eventually too, but if you're driving a track session or highway blasting for a long time, you'll spend lots less time under ECU controlled timing pull with aftermarket intercoolers and have a FAR FAR less chance of detonation.

The stock intercoolers are also only designed to take stock heat levels. When you mod your car, what used to feel like 70* to the engine now feels like 95* because you're pushing that much more air and combustion through the motor. Not to mention your oil on a FI car is likely working double duty to cool and lubricate the turbos too.

Have you ever noticed that on cooler days your oil temps and water temps don't get as high either? This is what the IC's are helping to acheive, the feel of a cooler day, so now you're helping the radiators do their job too with cooler intake temps.

IMO it's unquestionable that IC's are far more for safety and longevity than they are for power. And they do in fact help the the engine aspect of the cars performance (except maybe lag).

Very similar to running water injection.
This is a great reply IMHO

Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Yeah, great info Heavy-thanks.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
mando is infamous around these parts
good designed intercoolers work very well with the stock turbo's!
9ff use stock turbo's for the 620hp kit but change the intercoolers, the units are even so good that before they used them they only reached 590hp with altered turbo's, clutch and software. Now they get 620hp with intercoolers, clutch and software. The standard units got the temperature up to the critical numbers where the ECU kick's in!

greetz mando

Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM
jnixon is infamous around these parts
AWE Intercoolers

I have the AWE intercoolers and was on the highway on a 50 degree day and
hitting the throttle to see what the intake temperature was versus air temperature.
My car was reading 55 degrees after hammering the throttle on several runs
from about 40mph to 70-80mph and the intake termperature stayed
pretty consistently in the 55 degree range. So the air temperature was 50 and
the intake was 55. I consider that to be good. I do have the 700 AWE kit so that
is with the increased power.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Z06
If my main concern is to save the engine on a hot day, lower oil temp, engine getting to hot
would it not make sence to improve the air and size of the rad the cools everything?
This is what I did on my Z06, never ran hot, oil temp was always low?

I can see how IC help make HP.

Last edited by Z06; 04-03-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JZRS4
I was told intercoolers are the next step for more power. I have headers, ecu, plenum, brv's and exhaust. I need to get the suspension dialed in first and then I'll add more power. I can't see how it would increase lag at all.
I wish I knew more about the roads out there but you're right about the turning part:P Suspension dialed in and then more power (I must be getting old?).

On the IC's the stock cores are certainly quite efficient with the stock turbos. The one thing that isn't great and has been carried over from the 996tt days is the end tanks. They're really quite pinched which means flow isn't quite what it could be. With the weather being hot here a lot of the year a lot of our track-junkies use the EVOMS intercoolers with stock Turbos. Once you change the turbos tho

PS And good post HeavyChevy....

Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 AM
the Evoms intercoolers are good but there are better ones.
9ff had a Evoms car with the intercoolers, from Greece and the customer wanted to change to 9ff, they first changed the kit without the IC's had a run and changed the IC's temperature droped an extra 7°C, this was done on the same day in almost the same conditions (ambient temperature was even 3°C higher on the second test!)

these babies are realy designed for flow!

Last edited by mando; 04-04-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Z06
Originally Posted by Blizzard
the Evoms intercoolers are good but there are better ones.
9ff had a Evoms car with the intercoolers, from Greece and the customer wanted to change to 9ff, they first changed the kit without the IC's had a run and changed the IC's temperature droped an extra 7°C, this was done on the same day in almost the same conditions (ambient temperature was even 3°C higher on the second test!)

these babies are realy designed for flow!

What make these so much better than the U.S. IC?

Or better yet what materials or something with the design..construction that would explain how these or any IC work better?

Old 04-04-2009, 12:24 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Z06
What make these so much better than the U.S. IC?

Or better yet what materials or something with the design..construction that would explain how these or any IC work better?
The ICs made by EVOMS and AWE are tested in the bench model and in the field to the extremes...and while I'm not saying that there could be something better, I'd like to see how the testing was done.

Last edited by bbywu; 04-04-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:09 PM
you are correct the Evoms are very good but even Todd saw the small differences between these and the Evoms and edmitted that it was a smart thing to do. He doesn't now about the internal differences (finning)
these intercoolers are build by a company that only make intercoolers, the 996 GT2 Racing model they have perform with a maximum of 11°C above ambient during the race on the Zolder track in Belgium (not a high speed track), car runs 700hp @ 0,9bar of boost

their intercoolers are build with airflow in mind, there's alot of calculation behind it.
don't get me wrong the AWE and Evoms intercoolers are also designed with good care and experience but they might not go as far when it comes to airflow design.

greetz mando

Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Alcyon has a spectacular aura aboutAlcyon has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the report Blizzard, where can I get those IC´s?

Old 04-04-2009, 04:18 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
I have heard from independent sources that they are working amazing.
I already placed an order.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercoolers upgrade