997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Intercoolers upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:28 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Intercoolers upgrade

My car has an exhaust system, sport air filter and ECU, i was wondering if it would benefit with intercoolers at this stage, or if it would increase lag.

All dynocharts posted on the forum shows power/torque increase at all rpm, but all of them are for 700 cars.

Please post your experience with I/Cs exhaust filter and ECU

Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by milou
My car has an exhaust system, sport air filter and ECU, i was wondering if it would benefit with intercoolers at this stage, or if it would increase lag.

All dynocharts posted on the forum shows power/torque increase at all rpm, but all of them are for 700 cars.

I was told intercoolers are the next step for more power. I have headers, ecu, plenum, brv's and exhaust. I need to get the suspension dialed in first and then I'll add more power. I can't see how it would increase lag at all.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
It could increase lag depending on the size of the chambers from what I've read on here. Do some research, there is plenty of info to be found on here.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:18 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I have not seen any data suggesting its worthwhile when using stock turbos. The next mod should be that and intercoolers

Old 04-01-2009, 01:23 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
It is definitely worthwhile regardless of turbos especially with a flash or in hot areas, or on track vehicles. Heat exposure is was causes parts to fail prematurely and the ECU to pull timing.. Cooler intake temps reduces heat soak and timing pull by the ECU thus helping to keep the motor fresher over the same period than running stock IC's.

If you live in Alaska and only drive a few miles a year, great, no prob. But for many places, it's a definite plus.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Intercoolers make an incredible difference. However, going too big can hurt performance. It's a fine like we walk, but our Engineering staff has done their due diligence.

See this post I made:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...oler-data.html

Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Forgive me if I missed it, but did you post any dynos of stock cars with these installed during the development? I see the 700 cars info.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmoney
Forgive me if I missed it, but did you post any dynos of stock cars with these installed during the development? I see the 700 cars info.
Agree,

we need to see what happens with stock turbos

Old 04-02-2009, 12:57 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gmoney
I have not seen any data suggesting its worthwhile when using stock turbos. The next mod should be that and intercoolers
I have directly asked the bigger tunners this question and the answer is per above. Waste is money without turbo changes.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Super happy with AWE coolers /silicon hoses!!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
JS1967 is infamous around these parts
Hey guy's first post...I just did the Intercooler/ECU flash upgraded on my 997TT and I think it made big difference. I am going have the car dynode possibly tomorrow if not Monday.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 PM
raj1 is infamous around these parts
Any one have any reviews after having Champion Sport intercoolers with out upgraded turbos?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 PM
JS1967 is infamous around these parts
Champion Motorsport/GIAC is did my upgrade and I still have stock turbo's. It pulls a lot harder after the I/C and flash upgrade. It is my understanding that most of the power comes from the software flash. We will see when I get it on the dyno...I did have it dyno'd before the upgrade as I was a bit skeptical.

Originally Posted by raj1
Any one have any reviews after having Champion Sport intercoolers with out upgraded turbos?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:40 AM
Banned
997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all
Originally Posted by heavychevy
It is definitely worthwhile regardless of turbos especially with a flash or in hot areas, or on track vehicles. Heat exposure is was causes parts to fail prematurely and the ECU to pull timing.. Cooler intake temps reduces heat soak and timing pull by the ECU thus helping to keep the motor fresher over the same period than running stock IC's.

If you live in Alaska and only drive a few miles a year, great, no prob. But for many places, it's a definite plus.
Can not be defined better.. Rep for you

Old 04-03-2009, 04:45 AM
Banned
997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all
Originally Posted by milou

I got my intercoolers when I was just at your stage.It won't increase lag unless you get them too big. It'll help you at higher speeds performance-wise, but the main purpose of it is to keep engine cooler and safer than the stockers..

So they are about like %30 performance %70 safety imo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercoolers upgrade