997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

VR630 Kit Almost Touches 10's on Gumball Track Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
VR630 Kit Almost Touches 10's on Gumball Track Day

So this guy ran Gumball last year in 2008 and I remember him as we were the only 2 997 Turbo cars on the rally. He hit me up with a month left before the rally that he wanted some more power in his car. The rally was to start on that Saturday and the car was arriving from being shipped from Spain on the prior Thursday. There was no way to get the car to Phx so I scrambled first on the logistics. Big thanks to Tom at Lucent Motors for helping us out and getting the car in last minute while doing an incredible job.

We shipped Tom our new Agency Power Performance Exhaust with 200cell cats, the Agency Power Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake, and we did the Softronic ECU Flash on 93 octane. The car was geared up and started the rally. The car owner Ian came to me probably at least 1 time per day with how excited he was in how the car drove differently and felt much stronger. In LA, at the Hoover Dam, the stop in Santa Fe, Dallas, and then finally Orlando, he kept thanking me.

Now this car is a Tiptronic and when we finally reached Palm Beach Raceway it was very HOT and HUMID. Ian lined up on the drag strip with the said 800hp Nissan GTR and blew it away. With a TERRIBLE reaction time of 0.49, Ian pulled off a 11.3 1/4 mile run with a trap speed of 122mph. With a better reaction time and some cooler temperatures, this would easily be a 10.8sec car! Not bad for a Tiptronic with a few bolt ons!

Quote from the customer - " I had a reaction time of 0.49......crap. If I had got that down we would have run sub-11 seconds! The car was getting a bit hot at the end and we only had the one run with 103 octane gas. A little bit of extra time and a bit of a rest and we would have been flying."

Here are some pics of his car -

Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
With a TERRIBLE reaction time of 0.49, Ian pulled off a 11.3 1/4 mile run with a trap speed of 122mph. With a better reaction time and some cooler temperatures, this would easily be a 10.8sec car! Not bad for a Tiptronic with a few bolt ons!

Quote from the customer - " I had a reaction time of 0.49......crap. If I had got that down we would have run sub-11 seconds! The car was getting a bit hot at the end and we only had the one run with 103 octane gas. A little bit of extra time and a bit of a rest and we would have been flying."
Just an FYI for your next time out.......
Reaction time has no effect on elapsed time.Cooler temps would have helped though!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 PM
gtfour43 is on a distinguished road
That is MOVIN for such few mods.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:14 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
impressive..

Old 05-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Tell me more about the 800hp GT-R that you blew away!! I have never heard of an 800 hp GT-R??

Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Do a search for SSP. They were running on a "stock" map apparently

Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Exclamation

shaving off 0.4seconds to get into the 10s is still a long ways to go and at least a 60hp difference.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Former Vendor
Split - Your original post that came to my email was this -
shaving off 0.4seconds is a lot. You're not "touching the 10s", you're "nearing the 10s."

It was nearly 100F and humid out. Guy never drag raced before. That my friend is a high 10sec car. Even if it was a 10.99. But thanks for your positive comment...

Old 05-15-2009, 10:12 AM
eddieivt is a jewel in the rougheddieivt is a jewel in the rougheddieivt is a jewel in the rough
co/drivers report

hi there my name is eddie and i was the co/driver with ian on the gumball and i would like to say a few words about the car and mods . back in march i drove the car right across europe and into the uk to get ready for shipping to the usa for the gumball and i gave it a good work out ie a few burn ups and i was grinning all the time. and about a month before we set of i just mention to ian about vivid racing and there tune up goodies . so ian contacted dan and told him we wanted some more power !!!! as if it wasnt quick enough . the following week ian said its all sorted dans doing some mods for us and i said what mods and ian said not sure !!!! . so i had to wait until i arrived in santa monica to find out and my god dan didnt let us down this car was realy impressive a lot more smother and a dam sight quicker and the sound was great being a cab i was worried about exccesive noise but no problems their unless you realy floored it then it sounded great but not over the top .
as for the track day well i have to hand it to ian he normaly sits behind a desk but he realy went to town on showing how this car would run . it was the first time me and ian had ever being on a drag strip so the times didnt me anything to me just the speeds we were clocking up and the other cars we were dusting . a big thanks to dan at vivid racing for the goodies he supplied and fittted hope to see you next year at the gumball .

Old 05-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Former Vendor
eddie - thanks for coming here to show your support. you guys were great to hang out with and I loved hearing your stories of the car!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Dan...good trap on a heavier cabriolet platform in high temp conditions...impressive.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor
Thanks - rep points for ya!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:00 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Question

^ no need to be sassy. Its an excellent run none-the-less, especially for a beginner. Shaving off that much time is a huge accomplishment when you're already running that fast. Ive never driven a 997tt tip, is it hard to drag race with or is it pretty much just hold the pedal and go?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor
no worries, just be positive man... nobody needs negativity.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
Do a search for SSP. They were running on a "stock" map apparently
Ive heard of that car but even with a stock map, with all the goodies on that car it should have done better no? What did the GT-R run? Im glad you beat it BTW

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VR630 Kit Almost Touches 10's on Gumball Track Day