997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Compound Charged Engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
I twincharged a Mitsubishi Evolution back in '04/'05. It was an effort to overcome Colorado altitude issues. The idea was to spool a large turbo with minimal lag. With today's turbo and tuner technology it's really not worth the effort. It was a fun project but a real pain in the a**. Here's a really LONG thread about the car and a 1/4 mile time.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-eng...urbo-pics.html

60' 1.662

330 4.651

1/8 7.105

MPH 99.11

1000' 9.18

1/4 10.909

MPH 128.35

Old 07-06-2009, 03:07 PM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bigrigger
Virtually no circumstance huh? Check that

0-60, he didnt burn off the tires. Check that

GT2 Skidpad from R&T = 1.02 Slalom = 75.9

Ford GT Skidpad from R&T = 0.99, Slalom = 72.5 ,so yes it can handle just fine.

Maybe you couldnt handle a car like that around town, but others can and do everyday.

PLUS, your missing the point of this thread, is started out as a simple "has anybody in the porsche world done a compound setup"?

Porsche are awesome and you should be proud to own one, but dont be so closed minded to other people with other cars with very different setups.

NO CAR is the be all to end all that knows all. If there was, we would all own one.
I have seen several Viper/GT TT cars do 360's from all that power. They don't call them treehugger's because they are eco friendly, it's because they usually find a tree. Combine that much power with total lack of driving skill and you'll find your self in a hairy situation quick. As for the tires, we all know how quick we go through em, no reason to justify it. A 1000hp car doing that kind of drag racing will eat them in an hour or 2.

If you go check with the 996 TT guys I am sure you will find more then one guy pushing 1000hp and I'll put my money on those cars all day and night, AWD is amazing at getting power to the ground.

All these shoot outs prove nothing, add a little turn and lets see what happens

Old 07-06-2009, 03:11 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
This has been used for many years, the P38 comes to mind as an early use of superchargers and turbos. I think it's pretty cool, that Ford GT is badass.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I cannot answer the OP's question directly since my 997 is neither TT's nor SC'd. But I am pretty active on the Ford GT forum (I own one) and there is an active discussion there on the dual mode boost thing. Besides being an impressive engineering feat there was one individual who, having done the modification had an interesting perspective. And it underscores that these mods are not 'additive' but have an interesting relationship due to the fact that the supercharger's greatest value is providing additive power at low RPM's while the turbos provide the additive power at mid-range and up.
So the value (and challenge) is to ensure adjustability (from the ****pit) that allows the varying of the total power and RPM ranges for each of the devices. Controlling wheelspin at lower RPM's (but more power than an NA engine) with additional power coming at higher RPM's.
So, it surely has a component of 'because I can', but then, the very purchase of a Porsche or a Ford GT is an expression of 'because I can'. After that, anything goes.

Last edited by Verde; 07-06-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Bigrigger has a spectacular aura aboutBigrigger has a spectacular aura about
Well said my good man.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 PM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
just look at that new vw engine...won engine of the year...i believe its a 1.6L sc/turbo...by "showing off" thats how tuners experiment and find new things...some guy might think a stock porsche turbo is too much power..so much love to the 1500 hp tree huggers

Old 07-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Bigrigger has a spectacular aura aboutBigrigger has a spectacular aura about
No such thing as too much power, just not enough traction.

Also, that VW motor, the guy who designed and built those Subaru setups on the original post, helped in the development on that VW motor.