997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

alignment problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:08 PM
jwp98 is on a distinguished road
alignment problem?

I took off my PS2s to change out to winter wheels. There had been an ugly thrumming sound, resonant and cyclic. I see scary wear on the inside of the rear tires. They didnt thrum like this until after 10k of pretty conservative miles. I did let it sit too long and underinflated last winter.....
Also I had it aligned at a dealer and it was out of spec but just a bit, not sure of details. Can I expect this wear pattern from the normal rear camber set up (997TT)? Or is something wrong?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:17 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I have 14lk on mine, had it aligned at 3k mark by GMG when GMG did my suspension, so far very happy with tire wear.

I think its not abnormal to have to change the rears out between 10 and 16k depending on how aggressive your alignment is. However 'stock' settings should wear more even than your reporting at the 10k mark.

Personally I never trust dealers to align any of my cars, I prefer a tuner with plenty of experience setting up track and street cars with similar equipment.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:11 PM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
Agree with not using the dealer, and instead using an experienced tuner

Old 10-24-2009, 04:21 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
My dealer performed a great corner balance and alignment and even provided a print-out of the final specs. The tech called several times to see exactly what I was looking for. So, I don't think "never take it to the dealer" always applies. I have also had a local independent shop do great work too though.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:18 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
update, my car is at another shop today and they noticed my tire wear, inside rear, and claim its wearing too much and are recommending an alignment. There is about 15.5k on it now.

I have new tires going on tomorrow anyways but I just expected 15k to be the lifespan when lowered. Can anyone with higher mileage give their input?