997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Project - EVT900 Clubsport - 3.8L GT35's Full Engine Build - TIPTRONIC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:17 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Another question?

There are two pics of the valve springs/retainers for this build in this thread.

and

I understand what is being shown in both. My question is which setup is really being utilizes.

Last edited by cjv; 11-27-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Another question?

There are two pics of the valve springs/retainers for this build in this thread.

I understand what is being shown in both. My question is which setup is really being utilizes.
You are SHARP!!!! Good eye When we originally started this build, we had planned on using the titanium setup. The problem we ran into was valve clearance with the pistons. You can see in the other photo you mention the very large valve pockets we machined into the piston. This was the deelest pocket that we could machine into this piston without sacrificing strength or changing the piston design. This clearance was perfect for the stainless valves however with the titanium valves, they require using lash caps which caused an interference problem once again.

We could have solved this problem by having new pistons or new valves made. Once we discussed the options with our customer, we decided that the solution for this project was to run the stainless valves and keep the pistons. Since this is not going to be a high revving, crazy power engine, our customer decided on this route given the time involved in engineering and making new components.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 11-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Todd,

You have my curiosity up.

In the following pic:

part of the intake valve reliefs on the piston domes are not ceramic coated. Did you relieve them after they were coated or is this something new?
We had some additional pocketing to do after they were coated

Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by m42racer
After re reading my own post I'm confused as well. In fact I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just tried of all of the high HP bragging that always leads to trash talking. All that is written and re written is about who made what HP.

My intent was to tell that building an engine to make 1000 HP is alot easier than most understand. Making it last is another. AND, and I really mean AND, 1000HP engines never do last. Built by the best. They are not meant to last.
I do think that it is possible to make a 1000 HP engine last. I think that 20 race hours is realistic especially since some Porsche race engines have a 40 hour rebuild cycle.

It's about way more than HP. It should be about the technology far more than the inflated HP numbers that are flung around here like the national debt.
Good point. The EVOMS engine development program was founded on the technology side of these engines. The technology we have developed did not happen overnight. It has been a 9 year process building and developing these water cooled / turbocharged flat 6 / M96.70 and M97.70 engines. Before this, it was expierience gained from building the air cooled 930, 965, and 993TT engines.

I agree with your statement about the inflated HP numbers that are thrown around. It is both comical and disappointing at the same time. The worst part is the average enthusiast wants to believe the BS because of the crazy claims for a cheap price and gets taken for a ride. The comical part is to see the BS claims, watch the 3-4 second dyno tests and see the products for sale the next day. For those who know what it really takes to build these engines and make the stated power efficiently, while keeping the engines safe to stay alive and be reliable, it is frustrating.

As for the list of parts you state, well done. Its always good when these sort of parts are offered.
Thanks

I will stick to my statement about how the real deal people are never heard from. This seems to be typical in any part of life.
There are those who choose to live in their own world and believe what that want to. There are also those who are open minded and see the other possibilities. Cheers

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 11-28-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:38 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
You are SHARP!!!! Good eye When we originally started this build, we had planned on using the titanium setup. The problem we ran into was valve clearance with the pistons. You can see in the other photo you mention the very large valve pockets we machined into the piston. This was the deelest pocket that we could machine into this piston without sacrificing strength or changing the piston design. This clearance was perfect for the stainless valves however with the titanium valves, they require using lash caps which caused an interference problem once again.

We could have solved this problem by having new pistons or new valves made. Once we discussed the options with our customer, we decided that the solution for this project was to run the stainless valves and keep the pistons. Since this is not going to be a high revving, crazy power engine, our customer decided on this route given the time involved in engineering and making new components.
You guys are up to speed on all the tricks and then some. Best of everything on another fine build.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:59 AM
cjv
You have nothing to worry about. This should be more of a "test and tune" fun event
Todd,

I gave up worrying a couple of years ago. I just do the best I can now although just watching EVOMS has induced me to make several detours over time because I simply was slow in putting my build together.

You guys are a very class act. You know I have borrowed ideas from you as well as used some of your parts. I have also shared information from time to time.

I really look forward to a fun event. When it finally gets assembled ........ I'm done. You guys being in the business will continue to raise the bar wherever it may be. I very much look forward to watching this for many years to come.

Last edited by cjv; 11-28-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by cjv
Todd,

I gave up worrying a couple of years ago. I just do the best I can now although just watching EVOMS has induced me to make several detours over time because I simply was slow in putting my build together.

You guys are a very class act. You know I have borrowed ideas from you as well as used some of your parts. I have also shared information from time to time.

I really look forward to a fun event. When it finally gets assembled ........ I'm done. You guys being in the business will continue to raise the bar wherever it may be. I very much look forward to watching this for many years to come.
Thank you Chad. I truely appreciate your kind words. You for one can appreciate all that is involved at this level and then some. I have always respected your quest and patience. It has helped us all push the envelope with this great platform. I am looking forward to seeing KA completed and in action soon.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:59 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the professionalism Chuck! Here are a few more pictures of the build:

you won't have problem with high boost ?
it's very interessting idea but this westgate exit is on 90 dgree angle from exhaust housing and the pipe is long.....

Old 11-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
you won't have problem with high boost ?
it's very interessting idea but this westgate exit is on 90 dgree angle from exhaust housing and the pipe is long.....
And you have tested this same setup?

Old 11-28-2009, 02:52 PM
cjv
20 race hours @ 1000HP is impossible. I cannot think of 1 1000HP modern race engine, let alone 1 that has run for 20 hours. Way over optimistic in my opinion. I hope you are not telling your customers things like this. Porsche has never built a 1000 HP engine since the 917 turbo engine. That engine never ran anything close to 1000Hp in long distance races. The 962C engine that all of these 996 and 997 engine are all based off ran 24 hours at Le Mans and Daytona but at way less HP. I think for the 24 hour races they ran at 650 HP levels and after 24 hours were just about junk.

Some questions on your last posts. I'm confused how changing from Ti Valves to Steel requires deeper pockets in the Pistons? And the use of Ti Valves on a 1000 HP engine for the street? Ti Valves are not used in Turbo engines if any sort of durability is required. 6.00mm stems to boot. They will never last. This all goes against what you are saying about 9 years of development. This is engine building 101. Surely the Cam lift, was known before hand, the Valve sizes choosen based upon the Head flow required to met the performance numbers wanted and the Pistons designed for the known lift. Also, the Pistons should have been moched up prior to coating once they were received to make sure the P/V clearances were corrected with the Cam Timing wanted. I've seem rapid prototype Pistons printed recently to moch up the engine before any Piston is made. From what I have been told, these engines have plenty of Piston clearance as the Cam control allows the Intake Cam to move alot. Have you measured the Cam movement and how many degrees it can move? From the pictures your cams do not look that big on lift. Some out there require the Cam carrier tray to be machined so they can turn. Lash caps add nothing to the lift. Otherwise the Valves would sit off the seats. Ti Valves that require Lash Caps would not have steel tips, so the valve could be shortened the thickness of the lash cap. Unless the Lock groove was too high or Soild tappest were used. Then the Cam lobes would not be the Tri lobe type. Then the whole design was not thought out properely at the very beginning. Expected perfromance levels require certain engine parts and configurations. Head Flow, manifold flow numbers along with Turbo flow numbers, Cam Lift, Vale sizes all need to be decided at the beginning. Then the Cam lift is checked for its ability to turn in the housing, Valve lengths required, tappet choice etc.

On a completely different point, I see you are still using the tri lobe Intake Cam. Then you must be using the stock Intake Tappet. Are you aware of the serious problem with these tappets? I cannot understand from all of the engines you state you have built, you have not discovered the problem with them and still continue to use them.

This all should have been done before anything was even started. Especially as you state this is a 9 yesr development program. This is engine building 101. Engine builders do not do it this way, but assemblers do.

The other poster noted the distance from the Turbo to the Wgate. Are you trying to create the biggest lag possible? Wgates should be as close to the Turbo as possible, otherwise you lose all of that exhaust energy.

Based upon what I am seeing and reading, there are some huge holes in your development program and story that need to be plugged if you wish to be at the level required to build these engines professionally. Take a look at the thread showing the development of Chad's engine and the level of engineering included. Compare that to yours.

If you post pictures and statements about your engine programs and they do not make any engine sense, please accept them as contructive criticism not post bashing. As a company owner you wear many hats. You cannot be expected to wear them all at once.

I'm going to suggest something to you off line to consider.
m42racer,It is one thing to have a good discussion. It is another to talk down or degrade someone. Questions need to be asked in an honest manner to give an individual a chance to reply or defend what they are doing? I have to admit in my own thread I do or say certain things so as not to alert everyone to all of my secrets. I know you have seen some, like the 105.7 mm pistons. They are close to what I was using, but I know you caught the fact that they are physically too big for the case. You might take into consideration that some of the same may be done here so as to not give everything away. I know you and I know Todd. I wouldn't disrespect either, especially in public. You have some good questions, however they really need to be asked in the spirit of cooperation. We can always agree to disagree later. If a real disagreement is to come about I would really appreciate not having my name drug into it as an example. I am not lecturing you, sorry if I come off that way. You are extremely bright and EVOMS has built some impressive motors. I believe we have to appreciate what is being shared and understand that not everything is going to be shared.I probably didn't do a good job explaining things, but if there is one thing I hope to convey is that some discuession is better than everyone just clamming up. If we try to challenge or afront, people just clam up.

Last edited by cjv; 11-28-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
20 race hours @ 1000HP is impossible. I cannot think of 1 1000HP modern race engine, let alone 1 that has run for 20 hours. Way over optimistic in my opinion. I hope you are not telling your customers things like this. Porsche has never built a 1000 HP engine since the 917 turbo engine. That engine never ran anything close to 1000Hp in long distance races. The 962C engine that all of these 996 and 997 engine are all based off ran 24 hours at Le Mans and Daytona but at way less HP. I think for the 24 hour races they ran at 650 HP levels and after 24 hours were just about junk.
We are not endurance racing these engines. There is a HUGE difference

Some questions on your last posts. I'm confused how changing from Ti Valves to Steel requires deeper pockets in the Pistons? And the use of Ti Valves on a 1000 HP engine for the street? Ti Valves are not used in Turbo engines if any sort of durability is required. 6.00mm stems to boot. They will never last. This all goes against what you are saying about 9 years of development. This is engine building 101.
The opposite. The Ti valves required deeper pockets due to the required lash caps. You keep mentioning 1000 HP. Please read the title of this this thread. Do you have any idea about the criteria for this build and the sequence of events that lead us here? I can answer that. No, so please refrain from assuming that you have all of the answers and your "schooling" tone of your post. I will leave the rest of your post alone because you obviously have something to prove and from all of your other posts in my threads, you have a hard on for for everything that I / we post

Old 11-28-2009, 03:22 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Based upon what I am seeing and reading, there are some huge holes in your development program and story that need to be plugged if you wish to be at the level required to build these engines professionally. Take a look at the thread showing the development of Chad's engine and the level of engineering included. Compare that to yours.

M42 racer

I understand and respect your loyalty and love affair with Neil Harvey At PD.(Chad excuse me for what i am about to say but I can't listen to Mr engine builder anymore.)but you come on here bashing a tuner who has built the Fastest Porsche to date by a large margin yet your hero(PD) at the same time has spent the last 2 years trying to moch up Chad's motor and as of a month or so ago still hadn't figured how to moch up the motor correctly.It is all right there for anyone who knows anything about motors to read on Chad's thread.Hell he made such an incomprehensible mistake such as overlooking a simple engine building fundamental that when they added a 2" spacer between the case and jugs to lengthen the stroke that the timing chain would no longer fit.This is an error my 2 year old daughter could have figured out if she had thought about it.Gimme a break dude....Tell me what engine building you have personally done........not paid for because there is a difference.... You have an obvious hard on for Evoms ......it is plain to see.....but atleast next time try a little better at disguising it

Old 11-28-2009, 03:58 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
m42racer,It is one thing to have a good discussion. It is another to talk down or degrade someone. Questions need to be asked in an honest manner to give an individual a chance to reply or defend what they are doing? I have to admit in my own thread I do or say certain things so as not to alert everyone to all of my secrets. I know you have seen some, like the 105.7 mm pistons. They are close to what I was using, but I know you caught the fact that they are physically too big for the case. You might take into consideration that some of the same may be done here so as to not give everything away. I know you and I know Todd. I wouldn't disrespect either, especially in public. You have some good questions, however they really need to be asked in the spirit of cooperation. We can always agree to disagree later. If a real disagreement is to come about I would really appreciate not having my name drug into it as an example. I am not lecturing you, sorry if I come off that way. You are extremely bright and EVOMS has built some impressive motors. I believe we have to appreciate what is being shared and understand that not everything is going to be shared.I probably didn't do a good job explaining things, but if there is one thing I hope to convey is that some discuession is better than everyone just clamming up. If we try to challenge or afront, people just clam up.
Chad,

For someone who reports himself to be unbiased, you sure come to EVOMS rescue a lot. There have been 2-3 very valid points brought up suggesting EVOMS still has a ways to go in their engine program and you're all over any post that even has a 'tone' to it.

If this boards are going to change the rules on how people can respond to a sponsors thread, then please make a clear rule change and apply evenly. There's been lots of bias coming out lately.....

Jamie

Old 11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Chad,

For someone who reports himself to be unbiased, you sure come to EVOMS rescue a lot. There have been 2-3 very valid points brought up suggesting EVOMS still has a ways to go in their engine program and you're all over any post that even has a 'tone' to it.

If this boards are going to change the rules on how people can respond to a sponsors thread, then please make a clear rule change and apply evenly. There's been lots of bias coming out lately.....

Jamie

Jamie,

I can see where you think I am coming from.

Stand back for one second and look at it from this perspective. Certain threads seem to take on a era bigger than life. It turns into a feeding frenzy. Things get blown out of proportion and then people just clam up.

Why can't everyone enjoy the discussion without going on the attack? I'm sure if you look, I tend to stop attacks and try to get things back to the respectable level. In this particular thread, it is EVO's thread.

Regarding Simon or m42racer, I consider him a friend and a very knowledgeable individual.

Regarding responding to a thread, why not do it respectfully and in the spirt of learning instead of making someone else look bad?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute

Some questions on your last posts. I'm confused how changing from Ti Valves to Steel requires deeper pockets in the Pistons? And the use of Ti Valves on a 1000 HP engine for the street? Ti Valves are not used in Turbo engines if any sort of durability is required. 6.00mm stems to boot. They will never last. This all goes against what you are saying about 9 years of development. This is engine building 101. Surely the Cam lift, was known before hand, the Valve sizes choosen based upon the Head flow required to met the performance numbers wanted and the Pistons designed for the known lift. Also, the Pistons should have been moched up prior to coating once they were received to make sure the P/V clearances were corrected with the Cam Timing wanted. I've seem rapid prototype Pistons printed recently to moch up the engine before any Piston is made. From what I have been told, these engines have plenty of Piston clearance as the Cam control allows the Intake Cam to move alot. Have you measured the Cam movement and how many degrees it can move? From the pictures your cams do not look that big on lift. Some out there require the Cam carrier tray to be machined so they can turn. Lash caps add nothing to the lift. Otherwise the Valves would sit off the seats. Ti Valves that require Lash Caps would not have steel tips, so the valve could be shortened the thickness of the lash cap. Unless the Lock groove was too high or Soild tappest were used. Then the Cam lobes would not be the Tri lobe type. Then the whole design was not thought out properely at the very beginning. Expected perfromance levels require certain engine parts and configurations. Head Flow, manifold flow numbers along with Turbo flow numbers, Cam Lift, Vale sizes all need to be decided at the beginning. Then the Cam lift is checked for its ability to turn in the housing, Valve lengths required, tappet choice etc.

On a completely different point, I see you are still using the tri lobe Intake Cam. Then you must be using the stock Intake Tappet. Are you aware of the serious problem with these tappets? I cannot understand from all of the engines you state you have built, you have not discovered the problem with them and still continue to use them.

This all should have been done before anything was even started. Especially as you state this is a 9 yesr development program. This is engine building 101. Engine builders do not do it this way, but assemblers do.

The other poster noted the distance from the Turbo to the Wgate. Are you trying to create the biggest lag possible? Wgates should be as close to the Turbo as possible, otherwise you lose all of that exhaust energy.

If you post pictures and statements about your engine programs and they do not make any engine sense, please accept them as contructive criticism not post bashing. As a company owner you wear many hats. You cannot be expected to wear them all at once.

I'm going to suggest something to you off line to consider.
I can't believe how pompous and inappropriate you come off as. A lot of people are very loyal to their tuners, Switzer customers love the SPI stuff and swear by it, as does the Protomotive guys and yes SAME GOES FOR EVOMS and others as well. Many of these companies use different philosophies to fulfill similar results. EVOMS's body of work is obvious. Look at the number of cars with many many miles put on them since their upgrades. Unlike yourself, a lot of these tuners have great respect for one another and understand that with each innovation tuners come up with, they can later utilize it and further forge on and improve their design for the betterment of their products efficiency and reliability and more importantly, their CUSTOMERS satisfaction. In all honesty, the last 2 years have seen many innovations for these engines due in part because the current crop of tuners seem to be very respectful and homogenized in their sharing of ideas rather than talking poorly and defaming of one another that seemed to be so popular in the early 2000's. I'm not saying some proprietary secrets aren't withheld. Personally, EVERYBODY stands to benefit from cooperative development. Tony at EPL is an excellent example of this. Anyway, at the risk of turning this post into a 40 page dissertation, lets get back to the subject at hand and if you've got nothing constructive to add to the thread, then stay out of it. EVOMS's results at the Mile, the 1/4 mile as well as on the track and their reliability have proven that they seem to know something about engine development.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Project - EVT900 Clubsport - 3.8L GT35's Full Engine Build - TIPTRONIC