997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

DIY oil change Mezger M64 block engine M96/70 M97/70

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skeeter
Thats correct...That nut has no purpose except for torquing the bolt...If you don't, you will surely snap the bolt off!
A $1500 dollar mistake for the oil reservoir, plus dropping the engine to install it.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
bbywu - thanks a million for this post! I am going to attempt it this fall.

Just curious where this piece goes - 999 707 465 40 separate smaller O-ring?? I am having some issues locating this piece.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sbkim
bbywu - thanks a million for this post! I am going to attempt it this fall.

Just curious where this piece goes - 999 707 465 40 separate smaller O-ring?? I am having some issues locating this piece.

Thanks

It goes on the oil filter....There is a small o ring that will be located once you pull the oil filter out....

Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Got it - thanks so much Skeeter. Quick ? - does this really need to be replaced at each oil change? Oddly enough suncoast doesn't even stock these and go for $5 each?!?!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
BBYWU,
thanks for this helpful and complete procedure. I have a couple other bits of info that may be helpful to others. The size filter wrench needed is 76mm X 14 flute. I picked up one made by CTA at Pep Boys, model #A251 for about 6 bucks. A BTW: make sure the drain pan you use is an open container, not one that collects oil in the top and drains through a hole into the container. Being wise and looking ahead, instead of using my old reliable oil change materials, I decided to treat myself to a new oil drain container that holds 10 quarts. My first change gave me an "oh *!#*" as soon as I removed the drain bolt from the oil tank. Within about 5 seconds it looked like I'd struck Spindletop in East Texas. The size of the drain bolt on the 997 is so large that you get about 6-7 quarts of hot oil flowing out in a matter of seconds, which far exceeds the flow capacity of this new drain pan. All's well, except the EPA's on my ***....

Old 09-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Babag 007 will become famous soon enoughBabag 007 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for posting. Good info.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 AM
liurad will become famous soon enoughliurad will become famous soon enough
Got it - thanks so much Skeeter. Quick ? - does this really need to be replaced at each oil change? Oddly enough suncoast doesn't even stock these and go for $5 each?!?!
Got the filter kits from Suncoast from FL, and indeed, they didn't include the little O ring. After removing the filter cap and looking at the little piece of O-ring, I believe it needs to be changed. I didn't do it this time, but, the next time I will. I emailed Suncoast and they told me they don't stock them and prob don't change them when performing oil changes. I have ordered several of them from Sunset Portland Oregon (also the one center lock bolt and caps--easily damaged if not careful; the bolt was slightly stripped from the prev owner and myself, and the caps--forget it, 50-50 chance they get bent)

Lift the car up with jackstand is a tough issue. I jack the car up and place a low profile ramp underneath. I suggest jack up the car from the passenger rear tire. Place the ramp and lower the car onto the ramp, and make sure it's secure. Then, drain the plugs. Wear a pair thin, used handyman gloves or leather gloves and cover them with plastic disposable gloves you get at costco and long sleeves shirt to protect yourself against the hot exhaust and oil. Perhaps get two wide open drain pans--one for the crankcase and the other for the aluminum oil pan. Jack the car off the ramp to the ground so that it's leveled. Wait for a few min and jack the car up onto the ramp again to secure the plugs back. The low car profile makes it difficult for the oil pan plug. I had a torque wrench and a 27 mm wrench together. Both are quite heavy, esp the torque wrench. When torquing, I was worried that the torque wrench might just drop and strip the bolt (which is cheap to replace) or the sudden unopposed force from the 27 mm wrench that could potentially damage the aluminum oil pan. So, I had my dad's hand to support the torque wrench to make sure it stayed connected to the bolt while I torqued it.

Other posts suggest loosening the oil filter cap before raising oil temp to operating temp because when hot it is tough to remove. I loosened mine one or two circles and monitored it with the engine lid up in case oil started to leak. No leak at all. Then, it was very easy to remove. I got some medical syringe and tube to suck the small amt of oil out and poured some new oil into the can to "pre-fill" the new filter. I bought the ?$35 Porsche wrench from Sunset (portland oregon) still in the mail. Can't wait, so went to Autozone to get the 75-77mm 14 flute. A tiny tiny bit on the larger side, but no marks on the oil cap at all after unscrewing and torquing it. $6 bucks.

Now, put new oil in. Regular round funnel won't fit!!! I had to cut an used BMW filter (mobil one filter mouth is too wide for the Porsche's oil feeder) and turned it side ways as a funnel with the help of my father to secure the funnel to the oil feeder. I need to shop for a long extension that actually work better. Any ideas? Because My father was holding the makeshift funnel, I dumped the oil quickly, and ended up using 9-1/3 qt for the bar to go to the top. Question: When topping off the oil, I shut the engine off, went back, 1/5 qt in, start the engine, and another 1/5 qt in. Could I have just left the cap off with the engine running and topping the oil off?? I was worried that the oil might have squirted out thru the not so tightly sealed oil feeder (I didn't think I needed to shut off the engine, but, I wanted to be on the safe side)

My first Porsche and 1st oil change on a Porsche. Took a little longer than necessary, but avoided major potential damages.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
If you drain bot the crankcase and oil tank does this drain the turbos?

Also do you have to use a syringe to remove left over oil? should you do this?

A few more pictures of this process would be great!

is it the same procedure for the 996 turbos?

Thanks

Last edited by porka; 10-22-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
thanks bob

Old 10-22-2010, 09:25 PM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
I have 26k on my 2007 Turbo and have changed the oil every time (at 1000 miles and every 5000 miles). When you undo the oil tank plug prepare yourself for a waterfall. The first time I did it i used one of those oil pans that have a little hole for drainage. Big mistake, you need at least a 12 qt container or better yet get 2... a 12qt and a 6qt for doing the crankcase. One thing I always do (because its a no no to overfill) is I measure the oil I remove from the car and add only that amount. I use 1 gallon plastic jugs to measure and usually extract about 8.5 - 9 quarts. It takes less than a 1/2 hour to do when you get the hang of it.

Last edited by gradyex; 10-22-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:22 PM
rare will become famous soon enough
This has saved me a small fortune.

The $1800 for the slide truck to Bangkok and return (1100kms away) and then the $300 service itself.

Kudos for a great thread, it should be a sticky..

Old 11-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Ok this is truly a dumb question but there is only place to add oil (in the engine compartment)? The only reason I ask is because there is two oil reservoirs (crancase and oil tank). Thanks

Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by porka
If you drain bot the crankcase and oil tank does this drain the turbos?

Also do you have to use a syringe to remove left over oil? should you do this?

A few more pictures of this process would be great!

is it the same procedure for the 996 turbos?

Thanks
Diff for 996 TT. I change mine every 6 months or 1000 miles. Make sure you have an oil pan that can handle the volumn and flow. You get all 6-7 quarts of sump oil in 10 seconds or less.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 AM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Excellent thread!!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:58 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Ok this is truly a dumb question but there is only place to add oil (in the engine compartment)? The only reason I ask is because there is two oil reservoirs (crancase and oil tank). Thanks
Only one way in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change Mezger M64 block engine M96/70 M97/70