997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Best lightweight wheels out there

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 AM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
Ragarding Tech1 i can recall a post made by tech1mike saying he put a hold on those wheels because the manufacturer didn't let him produce enough wheels... so they may be hard to put the hand on now.

Originally Posted by Tech1_Mike
Guys,
I understand your collective impatience. I really do.
But I'm a 60 year old veteran of this business and, despite how good our wheels are, I won't continue to offer mediocre service.
Those of you who patiently waited weeks too long for your wheels during the past year know EXACTLY what I mean.

What happens is this: When I put an order in our system for four wheels, it irritates the manufacturing guys who make and ship hundreds of wheels every day to companies all over the world. They don't care about Porsches, hell they can't even pronounce Porsche. They care about factory throughput. It's what they get paid on. So my little custom orders get pushed to the back of the queue.

So, I am looking for a solid distributor or manufacturer who is willing to partner with us and stock a reasonable quantity of these wheels so that we can offer good service. If anybody out there knows one, please have them contact me. I'll make it worth their while.

In the meantime, I have put this program in a short holding pattern until I am confident that I can keep my promises.

I hope you all can appreciate the candor in these comments, 'cause it isn't easy to say you have a problem.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 PM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
my favorite wheels will remain the BBS mag they make for famous japanese tuner Mine's on its iconic R34.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
OneFastBeast will become famous soon enough
I just made my order for 19" Tech1 210's style gloss black. Got P40 HRE's in 20" right now, need smaller wheel for my 700Hp as well!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jiaim
Ragarding Tech1 i can recall a post made by tech1mike saying he put a hold on those wheels because the manufacturer didn't let him produce enough wheels... so they may be hard to put the hand on now.
No distributors yet but the wheels are available direct on a group buy. 4-5 week delivery, depending on finish.
PM me for pricing.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:13 PM
SR20dat is on a distinguished road
Forged alloy

Went with the techs. Took 2 months to arrive but well worth it. Superior finish and lost 20 lbs total over oem gt3 wheels

Old 01-01-2011, 07:18 PM
SR20dat is on a distinguished road
Forged Alloys

Agreed. And my tpms sensors swapped right over.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:00 PM
NWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond repute
Tech 1 wheels

I have had wheels from HRE, Champion, BBS, OZ etc.

I can say without a doubt, that the Tech 1 wheels are the BEST I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

My vote is for Tech 1.

Not only that, Mike is a standup guy and his customer service and honesty is without reproach.

www.forgedalloysusa.com

Last edited by NWturbo; 01-02-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:23 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I have seen more then one nine one one sitting in a shop with leaking DM's awaiting their new wheel sets to be mounted. If carbon were a viable option don't you think F1 teams running them? Therefore, they...F1 teams...stick with Mg and X-ray them after every weekend.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:20 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SR20dat
Went with the techs. Took 2 months to arrive but well worth it. Superior finish and lost 20 lbs total over oem gt3 wheels
Man you make me feal like a 9 year old waiting for his toys from Santa.

I have ordered mine about 2 months ago but haven't got them yet, they will be custom finish, this is why it takes so long.

Mike do your magic and send them over as quick as possible

Old 01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
jasont is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Serpentene
Yeah...Unfortunately the only shape they manufacture is round.
Probably due to practicality purposes...
Can't believe nobody commented on this - you almost made me spit out my drink!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
HAHAHA Nice!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jasont
Can't believe nobody commented on this - you almost made me spit out my drink!

EEEZZZZ very funny!
However, many a truth is spoken in jest.
Making round wheels, i mean REALLY round wheels is quite difficult.
I know I am a full scale techno-head but RUNOUT is a very common problem in all forms of custom wheels. My guess is that the average aftermarket wheel has a vertical and horizontal runout of over .7mm to .8mm (.028 to .032 in). Doesn't sound like much much but it makes a real difference in how smooth the wheel is at higher speeds.
Vertical runout is measured by calculating the difference between the centerpoint of the hub bore and the centerpoint of the tire mounting surface (bead seat). Lateral runout is the right-to-left movement of the wheel as the wheel spins on its vertical axis.
These problems can NOT be eliminated with balancing. In fact, they can't be eliminated at all, once the wheel is made.
Symptoms of excessive runout are usually vibrations of the steering wheel at various speeds. These are called harmonic vibrations and they are very annoying.
OEMs like Porsche and Mercedes Benz set a maximum runout limit from their suppliers of .4mm (.016 in). Most of the European tuners set the limit at .3mm. Achieving these numbers requires precision engineering, manufacturing equipment capable of holding tight tolerances, and consummate skill in process management.
But when you drive a car a really high speed, with really round wheels, it is a very smoooooooth experience. It also inspires driver confidence because you are not distracted by things like vibration. What amounts to an annoyance at 70 mph is something much more disturbing at 150 mph.

Verbose as usual.....

Mike

Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
Have any pictures of the BBS F1's? What did they run you?
Between $1895 and $2095 each depending on fitment. I don't have them on our website, but I have part numbers for them and can order. Please give me a call if interested and in the US. BBS won't let us sell them outside of the states.

I dunno, few the (literally) few lb. difference and 1/4 (!) of the price, I'd look at OZ Ultraleggera in 19" or the Allegerita (about 10% lighter) in 18"....call me.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp

Last edited by damon@tirerack; 01-03-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
OMG stop it stop it...you making me blush

Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow Imho...

...BBS...

New Green performance air filter 996:
Green perfomance air filter for 996

New Schnell inhaler kit 996/997:
NIB Schnell Cold Air Inhaler w/caps

Mint “used” (600 mi.) Schnell inhaler kit 996/997:
Schnell Cold Air Inhaler w/caps & instructions

Sweet Callaway Tungsten Titanium clubs set:
Callaway GBB Tungsten/Ti golf clubs set...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best lightweight wheels out there