997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 C2S to 997.2 Turbo? PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 AM
mhh
mhh will become famous soon enoughmhh will become famous soon enough
997.1 C2S manual to 997.2 Turbo PDK?

Anyone here made this move? I love my C2S manual but I'm fascinated by the new PDK Turbo. I'm worried that i'll miss the steering feel and gearbox of the Carrera S, but I love the idea of all that grunt. If you've made this move, please share your thoughts.

Last edited by mhh; 02-17-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mhh
Anyone here made this move? I love my C2S manual but I'm fascinated by the new PDK Turbo. I'm worried that i'll miss the steering feel and gearbox of the Carrera S, but I love the idea of all that grunt. If you've made this move, please share your thoughts.
I doubt if many have made this exact move, but I have previously owned a 6speed manual M5 and now have a 997TT tiptronic. I didnt go directly to the 997, but still would like to share my thoughts. The turbo is a seriously fast car and I love it. The PDK (atleast in the Panamera) is even smoother than the tiptronic, so I am sure you will love the turbo. Going from c2 to a turbo is an even smaller leap, than from a large sedan, so I doubt if you will even remember that you owned a c2 once you get your turbo. The manual vs automatic is a never ending discussion. Manual gives you a sensation of speed and involvement, but on the other hand launches are harder and more inconsistant and manuals are annoying in traffic jams. The automatics are also faster. Hope this helps...

Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Zman100 is on a distinguished road
Halfway Through the Move

I sold my C2S and am waiting on the .2 TT with a PDK. My C2S was a 6 speed. I house this car in Vail, CO and am looking forward to the power of the turbo, and less loss of HP due to the altitude. I chose the PDK so my wife can drive it, though that will probably be only occasionally. I test drove a C4S with PDK and loved the transmission. This will be a summer driver for me here, with the occasional winter trip if the roads are good out of Vail. The new turbo should be here in a few weeks, but won't get much drive time for a few months.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:18 AM
mhh
mhh will become famous soon enoughmhh will become famous soon enough
I can answer my own question. My dealer gave me drive today in a PDK turbo. The car is brilliant. Doesn't steer like my C2S but does it go! The PDK is better than I expected. I could never imagine driving through hilly, winding roads and not changing gear but with the PDK, it reads your mind and changes before you get a chance to. The launch out of the hole is just so fast - it is like a superbike. And then seconds later you can cruise it like a luxury car. It's something alright.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
[quote=mhh;2730764]Anyone here made this move? I love my C2S manual but I'm fascinated by the new PDK Turbo. I'm worried that i'll miss the steering feel and gearbox of the Carrera S, but I love the idea of all that grunt.

After changing from my (modded) 997C2S into a 997TT.1, the only things i can say is you will at one point miss that lovely flat six growl of the atmo engine(especially if you had a tubi or other aftermarket exhaust on your S) so having the right exhaust note is a must for a turbo. I doubt the new turbo's exhaust has delivered the right note and I'd need to drive one to see that .
All that extra turbo power is more than enough compensation for any (very) minor loss in steering feel. I can honestly say I was convinced I would miss my S but since the turbo I cant see myself ever going back to an S (a new 3 maybe). 997s into a turbo is a nice step .
Ive not driven the new 2010 gen 2 yet and im told the engine note is an improvement over gen 1 but i doubt you will want the stock exhaust forever. I also think the manual, although not as fast 0 to 100, will be the more engaging drive in the long run too so if you think you will miss the stick now then go with your gut on that.....not to say PDK isnt an awsome box . Happy days..