997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is everyone going PDK???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 PM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
Im sure this site wont be changing its name to pdkonline anytime soon!
Pdk is a fantastic piece of engineering, but im a old school purist and would only buy a sports car with a manual gearbox.
I dont want a computer to shift gears for me, they already do too much as it is!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:28 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
bad news always makes more noise than good if u know what i mean.
the problem is that nobody will stop the "computerization" of our cars and manuals don`t really fit in that future.
I agree that bad news gets a lot more attention but this wasn't one isolated case. The problems are so extensive VW actually agreed to an extended powertrain warranty on a large number of 2008-2009 MY cars.

You are correct that computerization definitely seems the trend (no oil dipstick on new BMW's is another one that annoys me). I just hope they keep offering a regular manual, even if it is priced higher because it is rare.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
One more thing --
PDK can NOT over rev .
Thus a money shift is an impossibility .
That alone is worth the PDK over the manual in terms of engine preservation on a 180K car.
So, let's say you are in 4th near the redline and accidentally shift down to 3rd, it won't let you do it?

Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 PM
mhh
mhh will become famous soon enoughmhh will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by LUCIANO136
I just hope they keep offering a regular manual, even if it is priced higher because it is rare.
+1. We need the choice.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
i am pretty sure that Porsche will offer a 6-speed as long as it makes any sense and they will be the last manufacturer to ditch manuals.
At least the GT3 and GT2 will be offered with both options for a longer period imho. So old schoolers shouldn`t be too worried, for the next years there will always be an alternative in the Porsche line-up.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 03-17-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
So, let's say you are in 4th near the redline and accidentally shift down to 3rd, it won't let you do it?
It will ignore the command . In fact when I first got my car I found this out first hand. The buttons on the steering wheel were a bit confusing and I went to upshift but accidentally pulled the downshift command . It ignored my command entirely.

In automatic mode it will shift for the driver in every case.

In manual mode the system cuts off at red line . It does not over rev .. instead it goes into this suspended fuel cutoff state UNTIL the PDK paddle is pressed . Then it will engage.

These guys drove it on the track -- still no over rev (I cached the article to find the passage) -- they opted for the auto mode -- some prefer to remain in manual . Each driver has choices..
http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...gl=us&ie=UTF-8

From article --
"On the road circuit, the Carrera S with PDK was a whole different animal. While the PDK selector can be moved to "manual" mode, we found ourselves bouncing off redline/fuel cutoff coming out of the corners (PDK will not select the next gear in manual mode). "

Old 03-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
It will ignore the command . In fact when I first got my car I found this out first hand. The buttons on the steering wheel were a bit confusing and I went to upshift but accidentally pulled the downshift command . It ignored my command entirely.
Very interesting. Is that a first for the auto manual? I think the DSG will let you do it.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Think these threads will become as common as the GT-R vs. TT.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...bo-thread.html

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Think these threads will become as common as the GT-R vs. TT.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...bo-thread.html
Haha, well, maybe that means people DO care and the manual WILL stick around

Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Very interesting. Is that a first for the auto manual? I think the DSG will let you do it.
I never drove a DSG . From what I understand it is very dated in comparison. In fact I had been a long term fan of manual transmissions . I never thought the PDK would charm me . I didn't even set out to buy the car --but when I saw 20 percent off deals and a lot filled with 09 Porsches in July of last year .. I saw this as a bargain and I wanted something different . As much as i wanted the Gt3 (manual) and feel its the most pure normally aspirated car .. I felt that the PDK car at the price was the right car for that time .

I am really glad i bought the car .

Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Salespunk is on a distinguished road
Ferrari is leading the way on automated manuals. They have already announced that they will no longer produce a car with a manual transmission. This is the future unfortunately. I am not happy about it and I am sure that most of the people on this site are not happy about it, but reality is that we are not the majority of Porsche buyers. Most people are buying for a Sunday afternoon drive with the significant other to relax. They are not buying the car for a weekend at the track.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 PM
I have not driven the Porsche version, but I have driven other dual clutch cars and while very fast you do lose some driver involvement. Quicker, yes, as engaging, no.
I have driven the car for 8 months.
Driver involvement is different . In fact some might argue that with all the choices PDK offers --the driver becomes even more engaged . Driving no longer is basic and simplistic but rather the driver is faced with choices . Driving now becomes a critical thinking event where problem solving is encorporated into what mode the driver chooses. He's engaged but at a more spohisticated level.

Most drivers are still learning after the 2K mile break in.
I am still learning at 4K miles.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
A proper driver's car has 3 pedals. Shifting is an art form and a very rewarding part of driving the car. The only way I'll get paddle shifters is if I already have a sports car with a 6 speed.
Agree.

Originally Posted by mact3333
I for one would prefer(not sure I will actually do it though) a PDK for next car not because it would be more engaging or fun, but rather for the track benefits...on the street it really doesnt matter which tranny you have when your driving the speed limit imho....but on the track unless you are very good, you will go faster with PDK as the downshift rev matches will be perfect and you dont have to learn heel/toe...shifts will obv be quicker too......just point and go.

If the car will be driven on street only, it would not matter to me one bit which transmission I had...they both have their pros and cons.
Matching revs on downshifts does not make you faster. And is not hard to learn how to do.

Originally Posted by jhuang25
i've always driven manual... but let me ask you this... are you really going to buy a brand new turbo and not equip it with PDK? it's the most improved part of the car... if it were my decision, I would get the PDK, and bang around in my Cayman for fun... but seems almost like a waste to buy the new turbo without it... to each their own.
This is a good point. Unless I intended to track heavily I would get the PDK. Honestly the PDK is IMO the only reason to get a 2010 over the previous year models.

Originally Posted by E36-RAT
Im sure this site wont be changing its name to pdkonline anytime soon!
Pdk is a fantastic piece of engineering, but im a old school purist and would only buy a sports car with a manual gearbox.
I dont want a computer to shift gears for me, they already do too much as it is!
Fantastic post! Drivers will always want manuals.

And lets not forget that manuals are advancing too. Racing sequentials are still closer to street manuals than PDK or DSG anyways. True sequential shifting manuals are not far away. No lift manual shifting is already present on some brands and will continue to evolve.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by luciano136
so, let's say you are in 4th near the redline and accidentally shift down to 3rd, it won't let you do it?
nope

Old 03-18-2010, 09:27 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ +1 - I've tested this (by accident).

It is not the first DCT to ignore improper 'commands' - the GT-R has been doing it for the last 3 years.

There are different settings for some of these transmissions (Mitsu has one like the GT-R), one that keeps it in gear instead of down shifting...

Just like there is a safety built-in to prevent over-revving, there is also a feature that it won't allow to run 4th gear at 6mph - it will downshift to protect itself (usually around 500rpms). But if you are trying to run around a track in 4th gear at 500rpms, you've failed at something else entirely.

On the GT-R (I can't imagine the Porsche does not have this feature), I drive in auto-mode daily, and if I drive deep into a corner (a spirited corner, let's say), corner moderately, it will think I'm on track - yes, it learns that quick. It detects my braking g's, cornering load, etc..., and switches INSTANTLY to an optimal shifting pattern, which keeps my RPM's up (right in the powerband) and at the right gear.

I agree with most here (even LUCIANO), there are some that will always want to row their own gears... The PDK (DCT) offers it's own version of fun. It's not for everybody, but more people can drive it (based on my dealership's numbers that 90% of Porsche's sold are auto's/PDK's).

There is a reason that top fuel dragsters run auto's, F-1 has two pedals, IRL just switched to 2 pedals (last year), etc...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is everyone going PDK???