997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The I dislike Change 2010 Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 PM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
The I dislike Change 2010 Turbo Thread

Being able to buy a new PDK Turbo does not mean one should!
Has anyone ordered a new 2010 with a 6-speed? Please speak up.
What has happened to the car culture? I can't believe what I am reading and surly change is not always good. I hope for Porsche's sake they don't lose guys like me to another car company. I am running out of options for a pure, drivers car. I hate what is happening, and I know I am not alone.
Quality and soul out the window! I think I would rather own a GTR then a PDK Turbo, I would save money and the Nissan has to be cheaper to fix.

It's not that I mind a 4-door Porsche or an automatic with paddles, but I do As for the new motor, lets just wait and see what happens
I own 2 6-speeds, sit in Chicago traffic every day and love it, now who is with me?

Old 01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JZRS4

Being able to buy a new PDK Turbo does not mean one should!
Has anyone ordered a new 2010 with a 6-speed? Please speak up.
What has happened to the car culture? I can't believe what I am reading and surly change is not always good. I hope for Porsche's sake they don't lose guys like me to another car company. I am running out of options for a pure, drivers car. I hate what is happening, and I know I am not alone.
Quality and soul out the window! I think I would rather own a GTR then a PDK Turbo, I would save money and the Nissan has to be cheaper to fix.

It's not that I mind a 4-door Porsche or an automatic with paddles, but I do As for the new motor, lets just wait and see what happens
I own 2 6-speeds, sit in Chicago traffic every day and love it, now who is with me?

Here here! (well, except for the traffic part)

Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I'm in!!! I don't mind an automatic or dual clutch type system in a sedan or sports coupe, but not for a sports car. I would rather do my own shifting. Of course the PDK can shift much faster than I can and I know it's a technological accomplishment, but that is not what I am after. For me, there is a certain joy to being more involved in the driving experience and rowing through the gears myself.....

I've had Lexus ISF's with their version of the semi/manual tranny that you can paddle shift and throttle blip. Like the PDK, it shifts incredibly fast and is a cool toy, but I stopped using it after about a month and just drove in auto mode the rest of the time. Just my personal preference... I don't mean to offend any PDK or Tip owners..

Old 01-29-2010, 01:29 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I guess it depends on what you are looking for: slightly better performance (PDK) or much more engagement (6 speed). I think both transmissions are compelling in their own way.

When I purchased my '09 TT, I did so very sadly thinking it might be the last manual transmission car I ever buy. I love executing a perfect heel-toe shift and rowing the gears. Alternately, it would also probably be great to go to the track in a PDK car and concentrate on one less thing.

For me it is more fun to drive the 6 speed even though the PDK is faster. Similar arguments can be made for 993 vs. 996 vs. 997, Turbo vs. GT3, etc. It is all about where you want to be. I suspect that many of us will convert to dual-clutch at some point - either because of the performance advantage or because manufacturers will no longer make 6 speeds. Maybe somebody should grab the web domain www.dual-clutch-online.com now.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:44 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
I agree on the 6sp for pure driving pleasure but then I get to the track and wish I had PDK just for certain turns...like when you have to come down 3 gears...quickly!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:45 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Its about overall fun and being 2-5 seconds faster on a 3 min course wouldn't yield as much fun as rowing through the gears.

When I first got the Exige I loved it so much, couldn't stop driving it, it was so much more raw and involving than my 6spd 997TT.

Thankfully for now we still have options.

On the other hand they havent released the PDK GT3/GT2 yet so there are still a few driver cars in Porsches line up .. for now.

Though I can tell you 100% if there was ONLY a PDK 997TT I would never have gotten one. I had a 6spd M3 then a SMG M5 and I couldnt wait to get back to a 6spd.

The SMG made sense for a big sedan like the M5 and made the car a lot of fun (Almost too much for its size and weight). But for a small sports car lets let the driver do some work.

The best drivers cars arent about what we can cram in them, but what we can do without.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
ed997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to behold
I am also a 6-speed guy and would only get a porsche 997 in manual transmission even though I sit in L.A. traffic too often. Not sure I follow your other comments though, there are good porsche choices for you such as a gt3 or gt3rs in addition to the manual turbo.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:01 PM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JZRS4

I'm with ya. Sit in traffic everyday. Shifting is second nature...its not like i ever say, darn i need to shift again...dont even think about it!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:20 PM
JMorrison is infamous around these parts
Yep, I picked up my 6speed turbo 2 days ago and drove 550 miles back from Germany.
I *thought* I would like a PDK - I *knew* I would like the 6 speed.

Only problem I have right now is the short shift, anyone else got this on a 2010 turbo ?
I'm finding it requires *alot* more effort and I'm considering putting back the normal shifter

Old 01-29-2010, 03:00 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
I full agree with the thread, but Porsche has other customers that want other things. Be thankful that Porsche is stead fast in the 6 speed and offers it as such. What about the 458? Look what Ferrari is doing. Of all the mfg's out there, you might be complaining about one of the purist.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:00 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
effort will ease over some miles...stick with it.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Rambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of light
I'm on the same page. Although there are different strokes for different folks, which keeps the world a fun place, I'm scared of the day when the 6 speed may actually disappear from the sports car. There was a similar thread some years ago on the BMW M6 thread. At first, there was no 6 speed offered on the M5/M6, only the SMG. Due to the huge outcry in North America, BMW relented and offered a 6 speed on the 2007 models (in North America only). I had been waiting patiently and bought one of the first ones in Toronto. The reaction of some M6 Board members was quite derogatory, inferring that only dinosaurs could still actually want a 6 speed. I know of many M5/M6 owners with a 6 speed, all of whom loved it. The SMG owners were a real mixed bag. The track guys loved it for the obvious reasons, but I heard of lots of stories of people selling their SMG cars after only a few months. Of course, the SMG was a single clutch system and very jerky to drive. The PDK dual clutch is light years better and fantastic at the track.

To each his (or her) own, and I absolutely respect those who find the PDK better for their needs. But please don't take away our 6 speed option in the future!!!

Old 01-29-2010, 03:12 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rambo1
I'm on the same page. Although there are different strokes for different folks, which keeps the world a fun place, I'm scared of the day when the 6 speed may actually disappear from the sports car. There was a similar thread some years ago on the BMW M6 thread. At first, there was no 6 speed offered on the M5/M6, only the SMG. Due to the huge outcry in North America, BMW relented and offered a 6 speed on the 2007 models (in North America only). I had been waiting patiently and bought one of the first ones in Toronto. The reaction of some M6 Board members was quite derogatory, inferring that only dinosaurs could still actually want a 6 speed. I know of many M5/M6 owners with a 6 speed, all of whom loved it. The SMG owners were a real mixed bag. The track guys loved it for the obvious reasons, but I heard of lots of stories of people selling their SMG cars after only a few months. Of course, the SMG was a single clutch system and very jerky to drive. The PDK dual clutch is light years better and fantastic at the track.

To each his (or her) own, and I absolutely respect those who find the PDK better for their needs. But please don't take away our 6 speed option in the future!!!
The E60 M5/E63 M6 tranny debate is a whole other situation entirely and not really a matter of driving 'purity'. The high-revving V10 really needs the 7 gears to maximize it's potential. While the stick and clutch may have been more 'fun' to drive, I believe it was doing that car a disservice by getting it with a manual. As you stated, BMWNA relented only because the American market *****ed and moaned, not because it was good for the car performance-wise.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:26 PM
GTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura about
well

They do give you the best of both worlds. Its not like you can't order the turbo in a 6speed.

If anything its reversed ... you can't buy a pdk in a GT3.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by GTsilver2010
They do give you the best of both worlds. Its not like you can't order the turbo in a 6speed.

If anything its reversed ... you can't buy a pdk in a GT3.

Strange. Good point that I never really thought about. The GT3 is the more 'track oriented' car, less torque to 'safely' handle the PDK transmission (which if I remember correctly, there was some early worries of the high tq from the turbo being too much for the dual clutch). Why didn't they offer it in the 997.2 GT3 if PDK is supposedly better for the track?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The I dislike Change 2010 Turbo Thread