997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Suspension Noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
1. Hi Paul, if my memory serves me right, the instruction is in fact quite detailed, and even have drawings regarding height. But it's in German, so I don't know. Ha ha bad joke. I agree with you - they should be translated.

2. Bearing: Look at that thread again and see my post https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...fixed-diy.html : in the Turbo Bilstein re-uses the stock bearing, and your friend's C2 installation did not!!! Is it missing in the C2 installation there? Is it supposed to be that way?

3. Surely I agree with all your complaints, but as I mentioned above, to me the larger issue is not whether Bilstein has problem, but whether Bilstein's problems worse in number or severity than KW, Moton, JRZ? Is it worse than the carbon fiber wheel that shatters? Or ECU modded turbo engine that blew up? Or Porsche's own brake noise and RMS? Not that it makes it right, but to me it is simply parts and parcels of modding your car, of having a sports car.
The stock Turbo handles like a Lexus and I would have sold it otherwise (painful and surprising secret, to me at least: more body roll/weight transfer, worse handling, and worse steering feel than C2/C2S). If not Bilstein, I am sure I would have KW in my car now. And that has what, a 50% failure rate per forum statistics? Would that stop me? A resounding no.
Ok cann pls see in bold as 1) 2) 3)

1) Translated should be a prerequisite for sure. Bad Joke? Well not being able to use them to wipe your backside basically rendered them entirely useless as you certainly couldn't make any other sense from them .From my recollection its been a couple of years now so maybe things have changed since then but i recall seeing only a tiny fold out made of cigarette paper thin instructions....if thats what they were? There were a couple of tiny diagrams which indicated they could of perhaps been some form of pathetic basic instruction for an expert to follow. I was a little surprise actually.

2) Ok i revisited your post/s. Mine were definitely installed using my oem top bearings so why Chris's installer didn't use them i don't know. Its been yonks since we've spoken on the phone about it. The last we spoke he phoned to ask had i ever experienced any clunking and i said no.

3) I hear what you say re other offerings and the various pitfalls associated to mods of any kind but there are good and there are better. As with tunes i don't see all as blowing motors. So with suspension set ups im sure some are better sorted than others. Anyway I still believe manufacturers/ resellers should advise buyers of issues to watch out for when installing or, at the very least provide detailed "english" instructions....when being sold in english speaking countries. It would save a lot of heartache and angst .
I see you have gone to a fair degree of detail in your spring rates so am not surprised to hear you have a good result. I also found my set up quite good for the track if somewhat "jiggy" for street use....was great on billiard table road surfaces but on country blacktop with bumps and lumps they can be tiresome. A bit like a buggy ride. I only took them off as i sold the car and they still being so new etc had a chance to recover some of the outlay . Chris scored himself a bargain i thought .

Old 12-16-2010, 07:53 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Just to add something to the aftermarket suspension knowledge pool, and my car is a 996TT, I installed the Moton Clubsports with monoball mounts and TRG drop links about 2 years ago. I always have some low speed suspension sounds, springs I think, but as soon as there is some aero load on the car, all noises disappear.

The sound being made in the vid where the steering wheel is being turned side to side sounds like the springs loading and unloading to me.

Last edited by landjet; 12-16-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Speed21, I re-installed my tried and true gmg springs. My lap times went right back where they were. I have the complete gmg track package, adding gt3 LCAs now for even more negative camber, couldn't be happier with the on track performance.
I would not recommend bilsteins to anybody who seriously tracks their cars, unless it's the tpc modded version. The best track setup imo would be springs/LCAs/UCAs/TLs or Moton, Penske's are even better.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
The sound being made in the vid where the steering wheel is being turned side to side sounds like the springs loading and unloading to me.
That's exactly what it is. That's why the tech felt that it would be best to put in teflon washers.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Better ask this before someone got mad at me for repeated thread-jack :

1. Larry, have you considered re-installing the stock suspension system? If already done so, what happens to the noise then?

No! I wouldn't think of going back to stock.

2. The reason I asked is that if your noise is the same as Jason's video, it's unlike any clunk noise that I've seen described, and is there a possibility it has nothing to do with the coilover?

The groaning noise in the video is not the shock rather the spring itself, which we've fixed I believe with teflon washers, and in my case a piece of rubber hose slipped over the coil where it terminates on itself.

3. Is it possible something was bent in the other suspension components that you've changed (sway bar, etc.), or even in the stock suspension links??

The sway bar and drop links were disconnected and tied up out of the way, but after approximately 50 miles of driving the noises were still there.
I'm convinced the problem is heat related to the shock itself. The fact that Bilstein rebuilt the shocks under warranty and stated they were both low on oil seems to confirm this, but I won't know for sure until I can drive the car for a long distance and/or the weather warms up.

The three of us up here all got the "brother-in-law" deal when this mod first came out. Many of you may recall the kit was selling for $2500 plus installation. Now they are selling for $4300, which causes me to wonder if we were sold an inferior product.

(I feel your pain.)
Thank you Can. Maybe you can "gas" me to relieve the pain

Old 12-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
.....but given the circumstances its no laughing matter.

Maybe TT's solution of turfing the Bilsteins and going to the GMG springs is a solution worthy of consideration?

And that 2500 "brother in law deal" may indicate a caveat somewhere?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I think the going price is less than 3k anyway, so 2500 is an average price.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:47 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Jackson paid 10k a week for this (for rather suboptimal care); what's your offer Larry?

I was merely suggesting returning totally to stock as a diagnostic process, because that sound is so strange and unlike any coilover clunk that I've read about. In addition, if it's damper failure you car would be have such oscillation at any temperature and immediately, which your car doesn't, no? Is it positively not in the steering system?
Anyway, so they've re-built the dampers, and they are back on your car, and you just haven't had the time to test it adequately?

Vivid Racing now lists the Bilstein at 3250 (used to be 2500??) so the price hike I think is not that much. Frannkly I am surprised Bilstein haven't jacked it up more; to offer a lifetime warranty on a wear item like coilover doesn't seem like a good business move. I wouldn't be surprised if they change their policy in the future.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Jackson paid 10k a week for this (for rather suboptimal care); what's your offer Larry?

I was merely suggesting returning totally to stock as a diagnostic process,
You want to pay to have this done? That's not going to be cheap.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:04 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by atomic80
You want to pay to have this done? That's not going to be cheap.
Well, the Bilstein was out anyway, so it's the cost of installing the old system and an alignment right? The charge would be 850 or so?
Can't remember the cost of sway bar installation, but maybe 200-300 (correct me as needed)?
This just seems a good trade-off for one year of suffering and multiple diagnostic steps that Larry has gone through.

The main thing is that sound is so strange -- I could certainly be wrong but it just seems like it could be something we're not thinking about, so far.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Well, obviously it's too late now.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
1) From my recollection its been a couple of years now so maybe things have changed since then but i recall seeing only a tiny fold out made of cigarette paper thin instructions....if thats what they were? There were a couple of tiny diagrams which indicated they could of perhaps been some form of pathetic basic instruction for an expert to follow. I was a little surprise actually. One part of the manual is German, but there is an English section which I missed the first time.

2) Ok i revisited your post/s. Mine were definitely installed using my oem top bearings so why Chris's installer didn't use them i don't know. Its been yonks since we've spoken on the phone about it. The last we spoke he phoned to ask had i ever experienced any clunking and i said no.

3) I hear what you say re other offerings and the various pitfalls associated to mods of any kind but there are good and there are better. As with tunes i don't see all as blowing motors.... . Anyway I still believe manufacturers/ resellers should advise buyers of issues to watch out for when installing or, at the very least provide detailed "english" instructions....when being sold in english speaking countries. It would save a lot of heartache and angst .
I see you have gone to a fair degree of detail in your spring rates so am not surprised to hear you have a good result.
1. Hey Paul, I finally got a hold of the Bilstein manual (it was in another house), and I have been completely wrong . Not only there is a manual, it has step by step instruction, complete with detailed diagrams, in English, with clear labels on OEM parts to re-use. I'll scan a page when I am not so lazy. In fact, the diagram even shows that infamous "drbrent" washer, as well as the stock bearing that is supposed to be re-used.

2. So in the C2 there is an OEM bearing and the installer simply forgot to install? I am now more convinced than ever we should never let any rookie touch our car. I've come across a number of suspension problem posts where bushings/parts are missing. So dangerous. I am also convinced that while some are legit, a large number of suspension related problems (not here with Jason/Larry's problem -- their installer is the real thing, in fact I looked at Jason's pictures of installation when I was investigating Bilstein), whether with KW, or Moton, or Bilstein, are directly related to the competence, or lack thereof, of the installers.

3. Sure. While blowing motor is an extreme example, there could be more problems with our tunes than we know about since the evaluation is very difficult (time trial is very hard to evaluate, so is power and shape of curve, subjective feel, subtle hiccup and hesitation, etc.). I do sometimes wonder if we datalog any pre-packaged ECU tune systems (as opposed to one that's been custom tune), what would we see and would the results scare us. Or whether it means anything.

Last edited by cannga; 12-18-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Banned
1. Hey Paul, I finally got a hold of the Bilstein manual (it was in another house), and I have been completely wrong . Not only there is a manual, it has step by step instruction, complete with detailed diagrams, in English, with clear labels on OEM parts to re-use. I'll scan a page when I am not so lazy. In fact, the diagram even shows that infamous "drbrent" washer, as well as the stock bearing that is supposed to be re-used.

2. So in the C2 there is an OEM bearing and the installer simply forgot to install? I am now more convinced than ever we should never let any rookie touch our car. I've come across a number of suspension problem posts where bushings/parts are missing. So dangerous. I am also convinced that while some are legit, a large number of suspension related problems (not here with Jason/Larry's problem -- their installer is the real thing, in fact I looked at Jason's pictures of installation when I was investigating Bilstein), whether with KW, or Moton, or Bilstein, are directly related to the competence, or lack thereof, of the installers.
1) An installation manual? Wow Cann how come you got one and i didn't?? I'd love to see it and what it represents detail wise. Seems like a lot of Damptronic kit purchasers mustn't have got a manual either going by the string of reported issues of bearings and other things being left out . That all could have been avoided if the manual was provided in the kit so Bilstein is still at fault there.

2) Maybe post the install page on Chris's thread to show him. He may need to get rid of the needle rollers then and put the OEM bearings back. I still think if the instructions were given/supplied in the kit that would allow a rookie to do the job without making a mess out of things.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
1) An installation manual? Wow Cann how come you got one and i didn't?? I'd love to see it and what it represents detail wise. Seems like a lot of Damptronic kit purchasers mustn't have got a manual either going by the string of reported issues of bearings and other things being left out . That all could have been avoided if the manual was provided in the kit so Bilstein is still at fault there.

2) Maybe post the install page on Chris's thread to show him. He may need to get rid of the needle rollers then and put the OEM bearings back. I still think if the instructions were given/supplied in the kit that would allow a rookie to do the job without making a mess out of things.
1. Paul, yes, see scanned page below. Both the "drbrent" washer and the top bearing are clearly labeled with "OE." I can't speak for Australia Bilstein but every US set should come with one. Maybe call your dealer and ask them to open a box and look? It does sort of look like toilet paper so you might have tossed it accidentally?

2. You mean Chris, your ex-friend? (Just kidding! ) I posted but he hasn't answered. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...fixed-diy.html
Regardless, I believe Turbo/C4S Bilstein is different from the C2 Bilstein set you sold to Chris, so my manual is no good for him. He might want to call Australia Bilstein and get a manual to be sure.

Last edited by cannga; 12-20-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Casey, that's one great VIR clip. That car is really moving!
Is the motor stock otherwise?

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 12-20-2010 at 11:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension Noises