997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Suspension Noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:46 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I hear some "buzzing" from the rear at certain rpms since putting on the AWE exhaust. I figure it's just cabin resonance being excited by the louder than stock exhaust. Perhaps it's coming from the Bose speaker box behind the rear seats, I don't know. The solution is just to change gears and get away from the 3k rpm.
Sorry for the thread jack....and somewhat unrelated. Boggy that buzzing speaker sounding noise that comes in at @70kph noise is the engine lid release cable touching up against the spot welds in the tunnel leading along the LHS to the engine compartment. P knows the fix for that.....warranty. Came into mine just the other day and P fixed when i had my clutch fitted up..

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Speed, what is your suspension setup? I was thinking of moving to GT2/3 control arms etc as well. Please share your thoughts.
Sorry Doug. I only just saw this. I must have been out of town back then when you posted. Anyway the gt3 arms are good to get more than the paltry 1.1/1.0 neg max without. Mine arent set all to aggressively at the moment....@ 1.6 neg front 1.5 rear. Its better to get the rims out at the bottom than by using plates imo as then you need spacers to bring the top of the wheel back into position in the gaurds. The guys at my P dealer (who fitted em) unfortunately dont have great expertise with track alignments so I intend getting a new string line alignment early next year by the guys who fitted my coilovers to my last S (these guys are really good) so desirably i will be running @ 2.1 front and 1.9 rear again but i'll leave it up to them. My S had 2.1 and 1.9 on the rear and my street tires wore really well so if i can reproduce the same result on the turbo that particular alignment set up proved a great compromise for both Street/track. The R tires could have done with a bit more neg but they were way better than before. Youve got some good guys over your way by look of it so they should know how to set it all up properly.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think the going price is less than 3k anyway, so 2500 is an average price.
Aha! Saw canns earlier post with prices now of @ 3250 to 4k upward.

Originally Posted by cannga
1. Paul, yes, see scanned page below. Both the "drbrent" washer and the top bearing are clearly labeled with "OE." I can't speak for Australia Bilstein but every US set should come with one. Maybe call your dealer and ask them to open a box and look? It does sort of look like toilet paper so you might have tossed it accidentally?

2. You mean Chris, your ex-friend? (Just kidding! ) I posted but he hasn't answered. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...fixed-diy.html
Regardless, I believe Turbo/C4S Bilstein is different from the C2 Bilstein set you sold to Chris, so my manual is no good for him. He might want to call Australia Bilstein and get a manual to be sure.
1) Got mine set from the states (Sharkwerks) actually. I guess my installers must have tossed what little instruction i saw out after the install.

2) Well....hopefully there is no hard feelings. I dont think there is. And Bilstein Aus really arent all too helpfull unless you have been raped by them....hence me buying mine from the states to begin with.

Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
Geez, lots of bilstein hating in this thread.

We might be one of the only suspension tuners out there that actually appreciate PASM... We have spent a lot of the last 3 years modifying the stock pasm pieces or modifying B16s to work how we feel they should have from the factory.

And a lot of our track times are developed through suspension tech, not necessarily through power.

PASM done right is absolutely fantastic... 5 or 6 6spd members are stage 3+ owners and all report back with fantastic reviews.
Yes well its a pity we dont have access to guys like you out here with your level of experience working on these pasm systems.. And i too love the PASM feature.

Being able to work with the springs on a coilover set up so to get an acceptable street ride thats not so jiggy as what i had on my S wouild be truly great and worthy of entertaining. The way my S was it was a love one day hate it the next kind of relationship...depending on your mood. road etc. Not very comfy for passenger either or a long trip as such. Good for the track though....but again pending surface condition being smooth in the corners. Lumps and bumps would throw it off a bit..
Btw nice vid .

Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Although I have no direct experience with the TPC's suspension, I think for anyone around their area who is interested in a tighter Turbo: a test drive of the TPC Turbo is an absolute must and a no brainer. This car has received a tremendous review.

I am very impressed with what TPC has done and I wish more tuners would do the same: a serious and custom-made tuning of the Turbo's suspension. While the key to the TPC setup is the Bilstein Damptronic with stiffer front spring and pillow ball mount, what's equally important is that it's an integrated system and the parts are designed together. Sway bar, revised PASM, etc.

I love TPC's work even though Casey wouldn't tell me what that front spring rate is. Just kidding Casey -- wishing TPC well.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
"And the parts are designed together"...why I firmly believe if you pick a tuner you should stay with that tuner.....

Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Serpentene
"And the parts are designed together"...why I firmly believe if you pick a tuner you should stay with that tuner.....
Serp, agreed. In addition, the more I read these forums, the more I think the key to a good suspension tune is the installer. No inexperienced tech should be allowed to come close to something this critical.

I do not have formal statistics but I have seen enough installation-related problems to feel that the most important consideration for suspension work should be a good and seasoned veteran for your tech. (Again, just general discussion and not referring to Larry's intaller on this thread.)

Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
The two posts above say it all. The parts put together as one complete package and finding the right plac to install it.

I Had "original" bilstein's with another companies sways. It was ok and I can't say I had problems. however, reading all the threads here I decided I wanted one package and i wanted the developer of that package to insatall, align, and test drive it. That's why I made the 4 hour drive to TPC and gave them the car.

Probably the biggest issue is finding someone who is actually qualified to do the work. Just going to any shop named "X motorwerks", "European something or other", etc. doesn't mean anything.

And I think that problem is only going to get worse. The more turbo's that hit the used car market and prices continue to come down, there will be shops popping up all over the place that claim to be porsche "experts".

As the other Chris (TT surgeon) likes to say (I paraphrase) "...not some LA shop who is working on a TT one minute and putting on 25" wheels on a range rover"

Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
True enough, I wish Farnbacher-Loles was still around, those guys knew their stuff. One of the suspension guys from the 87 car had been doing my work, he was great. However, a little birdie told me, a major porsche racing shop (grand am/alms) may be locating a east coast facility here shortly, be patient Chris.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:26 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Absolutely the prime reason why I stopped modding all together. Finding a knowledgeable installer in my area (in the past at least) was an absolute costly
nightmare. Most are hacks.

I found myself spending more time going back and searching for 2nd and third tries elsewhere spending $hitloads of ca$h for re-adjustments than driving.
But I digress..

And I think things are quite different in this scenario mainly because of the BREED of this particular automobile and the class of its drivers.

These are high caliber tuners of an up-scaled league tuning super cars..not tuning Hondas.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Yes Casey, I know. I wish you guys were closer. I need somebody in the tristate area that I can drop my car off in the am, pick it up after work kinda deal. Otherwise I would be a regular at your shop. Why don't you guys branch out to say LI?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Yes Casey, I know. I wish you guys were closer. I need somebody in the tristate area that I can drop my car off in the am, pick it up after work kinda deal. Otherwise I would be a regular at your shop. Why don't you guys branch out to say LI?
They do provide transportation to the airport Actually it wasn't that bad. The first time I went I left here around 4:00 got there at 8:00 and I was home by 12:00.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:48 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Serp, agreed. In addition, the more I read these forums, the more I think the key to a good suspension tune is the installer. No inexperienced tech should be allowed to come close to something this critical.

I do not have formal statistics but I have seen enough installation-related problems to feel that the most important consideration for suspension work should be a good and seasoned veteran for your tech. (Again, just general discussion and not referring to Larry's intaller on this thread.)
Couldn't agree more..

Old 03-21-2015, 03:23 PM
911sccab is a name known to all911sccab is a name known to all911sccab is a name known to all911sccab is a name known to all911sccab is a name known to all911sccab is a name known to all
Looks like no posts for a while on this subject. Have a loud click coming from the top of my strut on a 2010 997.2 tt. Car had 4000 on the clock when I bought it 6 months ago, now at 10000. Everyone told me the click when going from stop to stop was my springs reseating. Dealer says it's not springs and not normal. Trying to track it down now. I think it's bearings, can they be bad with low mile cars? Any thoughts?