997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

DIY: V1 Hardwire 997 with auto dimming mirror (NO SOLDERING!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 AM
JG-00 is on a distinguished road
Just did this on my 2010, only issue was finding the black and ORANGE wire. This was made easier using an exacto blade to remove the electrical wrap. I also picked up a different connector from radioshack for 18-22 ga. wires. The radioshack T-tap has a dual connection point for the wire and plugs right into the V-1 supplied male connector. I also found it helpful to completely remove the dome cluster cover by unplugging all of the switches.

Thanks bonehead for the excellent DIY post!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
I wish I saw this before...I wired my V1 from the Fuse box and though I was able to hide all the wires this would have been a bit easier. If I ever have to do it again, this is it. Thanks Bonehead!

Old 02-27-2011, 05:49 PM
teolax will become famous soon enoughteolax will become famous soon enough
To those who have used the install below, on step 5, which wire cluster is this? I think my wires are slightly different colors and I could only find one that was close that went to the sunroof button? I ended up shorting out the fuse to my sunroof

Originally Posted by bonehead
Thanks to member skeeter for walking me through this. This is his mod, I just took the pics while I did it

There was a very elegant hardwire thread on Renntech that involved a lot of cutting and soldering....
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...-installation/

Yeah....wasn't too comfortable with that. Couldn't believe that no one posted a V1 hardwire using the V1 kit. To my knowledge, one doesn't exist. Well, here it is:

Tools needed:
Small flathead screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Pliers
V1 Hardwire kit

1) Remove the dome light cluster
I used a small flathead screwdriver up by the windshield to gently release the clips and remove the lights.

2) Remove the homelink buttons
There is a small tab along side each button cluster (indicated by red arrow). Use a small flathead to pop these out. They come out with very little effort.

3) Remove the Phillips head screws
After removing the buttons, you will see a Phillips head screw under each button cluster. Remove these.

Screw hole with screw already removed

4) Remove plastic dome cover
Sorry, no pic of this. Get a flathead screwdriver or your fingers under the dome cover back by the sunroof and gently (but firmly) pull down. It is held by two clips a few inches from the back and hooks in the front by the windshield. I was afraid of breaking the thing, but it eventually came loose

5) Find the ORANGE/BLACK hot wire
This wire is located in the cluster of wires coming out of the headliner on the driver's side. Cut or push the black tape aside to find it and get enough slack to attach the T-tap connector.

Hot wire with T-tap connected

6) Attach the ground
This is PITA Using the metal clip on the passenger side where you removed the Phillips head screw, slowly slide the clip part way towards the passenger side. To prevent it from flying under the headliner if you accidentally remove it completely, stuff a small microfiber or paper towel in the space just to the right of the clip.
Now, using the flathead, pry open a space between the clip and the chassis. Then slide the spade connector from the hardwire kit into this space. Push the clip back to the left to line up the screw hole with the hole in the clip.

7) Test it
Without putting all the lights and panels back just yet, put the Phillips head screw back into the passenger side hole to hold and compress the ground to get a good connection.
Fire up the car and VOILA! Just remember to remove the screw again before you replace the dome cover.

Mine didn't work at first. Had to pinch the T-tap with pliers to adequately cut through the insulation of the hot wire. Other than that, just make sure the ground screw is in tight and it should work.

8) Route phone power cord out the front and STUFF the wires under the headliner
Route a short length of the straight cord out through the front hole by the mirror stalk.
Now to get the wires tucked...Ok, this is PITA too. If you haven't already noticed, there isn't a lot of room up there. But if you look under the headliner under the passenger side vanity mirror, there is some room to stuff all the wires. This took some doing with a VERY tight fit, but it works.

9) Reverse the removal steps.
Clip the plastic dome piece into place, replace Phillips head screws, replace buttons and dome light.

Now you can enjoy V1 hardwired goodness

Old 02-27-2011, 05:59 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teolax
To those who have used the install below, on step 5, which wire cluster is this? I think my wires are slightly different colors and I could only find one that was close that went to the sunroof button? I ended up shorting out the fuse to my sunroof
Cluster is on the far left side. I think I had to pull out the wire cluster as it was hidden in the headliner above the visor. If you have 997.1 turbo, I don't see why the colors should be different. GL!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:37 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
It's the wire for the auto dimming mirror...

Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 PM
teolax will become famous soon enoughteolax will become famous soon enough
Thanks guys. I think I know what I did wrong. I'm a moron

Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 PM
00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough
Just did the hardwire yesterday to the auto dimming mirror. Very easy to do. I used Skeeter's instructions but I attached the ground wire via a T-tap connector to the brown wire in the cluster of wires going to the mirror since I have a 997.2 Cabriolet in which I couldnt get a good ground via a screw....

Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM
za3879 has a spectacular aura aboutza3879 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for this. I was scratchin my head on how to go about this after having it on the M5. I love forums.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by za3879
Thanks for this. I was scratchin my head on how to go about this after having it on the M5. I love forums.
get the V1 savvy, it plugs into the OBD II port and is the simplest and easiest way to hardwire the V1. Literally takes 10 minutes and also provides simple muting when driving around town. great option for those who want to hardwire the V1, I love mine

http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/

Old 05-04-2014, 04:29 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
I just did this and it came out nicely. It took a while as I'm fairly **** about wiring so I made a little custom harness out of the hardwire kit I got with the G-bracket. This way the wire wasn't excessively long and on the ground side I soldered and shink-wrapped the connector. A couple of tips:

1) I did use a wire tap for the hot side but got the red (smaller) one as advised above. The blue one is for much thicker gauge wire and is not a good plan. I would have rather used a different connection but there's so little space and visibility up there it's tough to work. I also wrapped the tap snugly in electrical tape for added strength and safeguard against shorts.

2) I had to scratch-up the paint a little around the ground point to get a good connection. Paint is an insulator...you want a metal-to-metal connection.

3) I tucked the wire into the little 'tube' coming from the headliner to the mirror instead of zip-tying to the outside of it. Easy, and much cleaner-looking IMO.

Thanks for the great article!

Last edited by cjcam930; 05-04-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:16 PM
lightning4570 is a jewel in the roughlightning4570 is a jewel in the roughlightning4570 is a jewel in the rough
Another grounding wire solution

Great posts on the V1 hardwire for self-dimming mirror applications. I used a slightly different solution to the grounding wire challenge, without tapping into any sunroof-related hardware. For the same location on the original excellent post (right side retaining screw for the overhead lighting cover), I first cut and replaced the open ended connector that came with the V1 hardwire kit with a flat closed loop connector (flat being the important consideration). I used a 2" piece of Scotch tape to hold it in position over the existing hole, then screwed right through the tape during the re-installation. No problems...

Old 06-17-2021, 04:17 PM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
10 yrs later and this post helps me figure out which wire to tap. Love the forums.. much appreciated