997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

stability problem after wheel tyre change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:47 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
stability problem after wheel tyre change

My car came with Pirelli P zero, a few days ago i replaced the rear wheels with some new same wheels. The front wheels are half the way so i didn't change them.
I also did a wheel alignment, the car rides nice on a straight line but when turning the car turns like a boat! Its like there is no traction on the rear wheels, especially when i turn right the rear of the car moves to the other side.
Today i was at the wheel shop all day long, we checked everything, alignment (second time), air pressure, wheel fitting (took the wheels two times) but nothing.
We then put back the old wheels and the car rides perfect. I guess the problem is on the new wheels, or one of them.

Anyone had something similar?

thx

Old 06-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
you are using the term wheels but I'm sure you mean tires...make sure the new tires were mounted correctly on the wheels with the outside mark to the outside of the wheel...if they were mounted backwards the car would behave the way you are describing...the other possibility is a bad run of tires and you may have to get them replaced...if anything you should have more grip in the rear with new rubber not less

Old 06-14-2010, 03:21 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
new tires may need some miles on them before you start pushing the car. I installed new P zeros on the back also and experienced similar characteristics but after a few hundred miles they are fine.

I initially though my rear sway bar was not even attached, the rear felt very lose, freaked me out. Checked everything, pressure, sways etc. and all it needed was some miles put on the new tires.

Ive never experienced this in any other car and assuming the rear engine setup just magnifies the new tire feel a bit or perhaps Pirelli have some issues? Who knows.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:25 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
yeah alot of time they need to be broken in for a hundred miles, get rid of new oily lair they have . also did you install the same brand of tire in the rear as the front?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:34 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
You need to burn the release compound off the tires. 100 miles will brake the tires in.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned
petey01 is on a distinguished road
I have experienced this problem before.I had a Ferrari 512TR which was even more sensitive to new tires on the rear,than my 997 Turbo.Even when they were exactly the same spec,they would take a long time to really come good.After 100 miles there would be some improvement,then further improvements as the tread depth reduced.Remember,a half worn tire will have less tread sqirm and feel better than a nearly new one.My 997 turbo is not as sensitive as the Ferrari,but it is stil more sensitive than most cars.Give it 100-200 miles,then it should feel significantly better,then expect to wait another 1500 miles for it to feel really "right".I also have experience in swapping the rear Pirellis for PS2 Michelins,and leaving the front Pirellis on (which were nearly new).Result,very "loose" feeling rear-even cross winds would upset the car more than usual.Due to the softer tirewall construction of the PS2's,allowing the rear tires to move arround and squirm more than their front counterparts.So,yes,these rear heavy cars do seem more sensitive to new tires on the back than normal cars.I have wondered whether a wider rim on the rear of the 997 turbo would help.My guess is that it would lead to a better supported tire and reduce these problems....

Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I have never felt this issue on any new tires I installed. Seems odd to me.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I've had at least ten sets of tires on/off my car, never had that issue. I would be suspicious of the wheel balancing/alignment job.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you all for your response, i'll use it for some km's and see what happens. A lot of people say the new tires need some time.

Yes the wheels are new and fresh, same model, N rated, etc.

I'll come back

Old 06-24-2010, 10:49 AM
I have driven the car for over 500km and still the same.

The car feals light at the front, especially when i turn left.

I still cannot understand if the problem comes from the front or the rear.

When i drive the car at for example 100kn/h i tried pulling the wheel to one side (almost 1/4 turn) and let it free, the wheel should turn back to normal position. In my case the wheel turns to the other side and back resaulting the car going left and right.

If i turn the wheel very quickly and then leave it the car looses traction on front wheels (left or right) depending on where i have turned my wheel.

I will order a new set of Michelin front and rear, but i would like to know why this happens.

Is it because the front wheels are half the way and the rear are new?

I have spend over 500euro on wheel alignments and wheel shops the last week with no luck

Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Alignment specs? Something is not right.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Jonnydeep83 is on a distinguished road
Might be a silly question, but did you adjust the tires to the correct pressure. I always do first thing in the morning and using a digital gauge when I adjust them. A few psi here or there will make a diff. My P dealer did a poor job w/ that (and chared me $405 to mount all 4 and "reset tps" ... f-ing rippppofffff) but oh well.

When I got my new tires (3 wks ago or so), I went w/ Michelen PS2's. I didn't push it for 100 miles, but I did after that and those babies stick to the ground. I have to really do some goofy stuff to kick the back end out and I have intentionally tried, no luck so far. Oh and the temp around me is about 75F right now.

On a side note, one of my friends had trouble w/ Pirelli's on his lambo a few months ago, the car was sliding everywhere, tires were defective and replaced.

Last edited by Jonnydeep83; 06-24-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Today i went to my Porsche dealer, we changed my rear wheels with some others there. Even tho the other set was a different brand (Bridgestone) the car was perfect.

I then went to Pirelli and ask them for a replaceing set, they said they will replace them on Monday, but they say its not the wheels.

I hate it when people do that. I'm 100% sure that the problem is on the f***ing tires. I think i'll shift to Michelin and give them back to them as a present