997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Any info on this 977.2tt exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 AM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
Matthew,

With all due respect, M&M is NOT SpeedArts exhaust supplier for the above mentioned 997.2TT muffler.
Please remove the reference to M&M in the post above.

This is an extremely serious issue. 6 speed online members who purchase a SpeedArt exhaust under the assumption they are purchasing an M&M system are being misled.

As you can see from the pictures below the M&M muffler is a round design where as the SpeedArt is square….

M&M Muffler (Rounded)

SpeedArt Muffler (Square)

I understand that you may have been misinformed in this case, but kindly stop referring to M&M in the future.

I apologize to dksu for posting this on your thread but this is an extremely sensitive issue to M&M and they want me to clear this up immediately.

Speedart for 997.2 are the same as ENCO.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
Not the case with these. M&M has an excellent grasp of NO Droning in the cabin. Guaranteed. You have resonance send it back no questions asked.
Interesting. So M & M and FVD have both managed to do something even Porsche with all their resources and expertise has been unable to do with the 997tt exhaust. Hmmm.. the stock system has a slight resonance/drone at @ 1,800 - 2,000rpm up to 3000, are you aware of that? Do you own a 997tt? When you say money back garanteed, does that include the cost of install? Freight etc?

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
FVD products don't drone at all. Loudness is another matter, the sound version is pretty loud, but zero drone.
To say zero drone and/or zero resonance is really drawing a very long bow when referring to any aftermarket exhaust system for a 997tt. I think what you may be referring to TT is ones tolerance to drone/resonance. And with all due respect to say there isnt any drone or resonance whatsoever would be downright misleading. Tolerance is really the key word here . And what one may be prepared to tolerate will always be different to the next individuals level of "tolerance". But we are talking about tolerance.....make no mistake there. Lets all not forget we are talking about a 997tt engine here, not a Porsche naturally aspirated engine .

Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Drone and resonance are different to me, yes the stock system does have a slight amount of resonance, as did my fvd, as does my current europipe. But, I assure you the fvd does not drone. Droning is unmistakeable.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Drone and resonance are different to me, yes the stock system does have a slight amount of resonance, as did my fvd, as does my current europipe. But, I assure you the fvd does not drone. Droning is unmistakeable.
TT I'd need to hear that to believe it plus drone and resonance are exactly the same thing so if your previous fvd had "slight amount of resonance" then that does not excuse it from the equation as there is still a condition the driver must tolerate.

Tolerate is putting up with something that should not be there in the first place (where possible). Herein lies the problem with the 997tt engine with the vtg turbos where evidently eliminating ALL resonance/drone is an impossibility. It would appear the changing pitch of the vanes are a form of culprit as they alter the engine note when the pitch changes.
Do this test: Rev up your engine to 1800rpm in neutral, depress clutch pedal and listen. You cant miss it. For any exhaust it will be like dealing with a moving target. I guess thats why Porsche hasnt yet managed to nail the problem in their own exhausts.

Increase the exterior noise and it is inevitable the interior noise will also increase....stands to reason unless you plan adding further soundproofing to the car to insulate the interior.

A couple of manufacturers have made a far better fist out of arresting that problem than others. None the less the problem remains and becomes an issue for the user to determine ones "tolerance threshold.

Btw have you changed out your EP for the FVD then? Which EP do you have? EP1 or 2? Or is it that you changed out the FVD for the EP. If so why was that?

Last edited by speed21; 08-19-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
EP1, the fvd was great, just too loud for the hospital parking garage, but never any drone as I describe it. The ep1 is much more subdued. if I was ranking the sound of exhausts, it would be ep1, two can tubi, fvd moderate, in that order.
I'm done with loud exhausts.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned
EP1, the fvd was great, just too loud for the hospital parking garage, but never any drone as I describe it. The ep1 is much more subdued. if I was ranking the sound of exhausts, it would be ep1, two can tubi, fvd moderate, in that order.
I'm done with loud exhausts.
Funny you say that TT.
I also changed out my tubi street to EP1 due to resonance/drone/noise issues. The EP1 is actually slightly louder on the outside than the tubi street yet is not nearly annoying as tubi was. Agree EP1 still has a slight resonance/ drone but it is "tolerable" as you appear to have also found . I am a harsh sound critic....probably because i am not deaf yet .
EP1 being a far more sophisticated (better) sounding exhaust in every conceivable way plus that distinct tangible improvement felt on the butt dyno....a bonus if you will. Cant say i got that with tubi....which i still have yet to shift .
Like yourself I'm totally done with loud exhausts, particular ones with intolerable levels of drone/resonance which accounts for basically 99% of them (unfortunately going by the user feedback i've since received from those that have buckled under the strain of the dreaded "millstone" and also surrendered and changed out to EP1). It seems im not alone.

Just be thankfull EP provided a solution . Imagine having to put the stock system back on . Drone and with a lousy wooshy note.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Europipe is an excellent exhaust for our cars. EP1 has also considerably less drone than FVD with 70mm exhaust tips and all other systems I tried. FVD droned so much that it had to come off after only 3 miles being on my car. I am not sure if enlarged tips are here to blame but it was just too painful for my otherwise quite tolerant ears. Rhonda is great though!

Old 08-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by AlexM
Europipe is an excellent exhaust for our cars. EP1 has also considerably less drone than FVD with 70mm exhaust tips and all other systems I tried. FVD droned so much that it had to come off after only 3 miles being on my car. I am not sure if enlarged tips are here to blame but it was just too painful for my otherwise quite tolerant ears. Rhonda is great though!
Ugggg!! Hell, There goes that no droning exhaust story. I guess with those words of truth you're well and truly struck off Rhonda's christmas card list .

Old 08-20-2010, 04:17 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speed21
Ugggg!! Hell, There goes that no droning exhaust story. I guess with those words of truth you're well and truly struck off Rhonda's christmas card list .
speed21:

No offense but as an unbiased and casual reader of many of your posts I can't help but feel that you have a hidden agenda underlying your responses.

I don't know or care what that agenda is but that's my interpretation and I call it like I see it.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by bosco42
speed21:

No offense but as an unbiased and casual reader of many of your posts I can't help but feel that you have a hidden agenda underlying your responses.

I don't know or care what that agenda is but that's my interpretation and I call it like I see it.
In this instance my agenda should be easily transparent. Rhonda said their exhausts don't drone so im pointing out that statement is flawed based upon AlexM's post.
No offense intended to anyone...just pointing out that fact.
And you mention posts? If you are unclear on anything else i have no problem at all clearing anything you would like cleared up. I don't want to leave you or anyone in the dark.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
And you mention posts? If you are unclear on anything else i have no problem at all clearing anything you would like cleared up. I don't want to leave you or anyone in the dark.
Speaking of clarification, let me clarify that I was referencing your posts regarding exhaust systems.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Not bad but not the best sounding either. Full Titanium would sound the best.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I never seen an aftermarket exhaust that did not drone.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting. So M & M and FVD have both managed to do something even Porsche with all their resources and expertise has been unable to do with the 997tt exhaust. Hmmm.. the stock system has a slight resonance/drone at @ 1,800 - 2,000rpm up to 3000, are you aware of that? Do you own a 997tt? When you say money back garanteed, does that include the cost of install? Freight etc?
M&M is a supplier to Porsche Motor sports so we are not talking about some rag, tag outfit, they and myself are extremely aware of what the OEM systems sound like and where the resonance / drone resides in the rpm range. When you say Porsche with all of their expertise and resources has been unable to take the slight resonance/drone out, keep in mind that they have to be within the 75 dB (limit by law) and have to be profitable. With the incredible sound design studio that Boysen has, I would think that they have been able to take out the resonance/drone but at what dB and at what price? Meeting the 75 dB mark, making power, having an acceptable sound and being profitable is an extremely difficult combination. The current OEM system falls within Porsche tolerance and is made for worldwide distribution.

I have been working here for the past 6 years now and have a lot of experience with stock turbo exhaust systems. I don’t own a 997TT but I do own a 987 Boxster S that is also guilty of the same slight resonance/drone at similar rpms. I have no idea what owning a 997TT has to do with anything. The drone that I hear when testing a 997TT with an OEM muffler would just be apparent on a daily basis if I owned one. If you experience it once or a thousand times does anything change?

When I say money back guaranteed, if you are not happy we will pay for shipping both ways, pay for the install, everything. No questions asked!

Originally Posted by AlexM
Here is a little background to the problem that AlexM had with our system. Until his system we had sold many systems to a lot of 6 speeders, none of which complained of drone. Of that I can assure you.

Earlier this year Bagger (you may know him) had an issue, his system generated a tractor like or what he dubbed “clown fart” on deceleration. The M&M 997 TT systems control drone with a balance tube. The balance tube is made by hand and must be precision made, if it is a few mm off it can generate that tractor like sound on deceleration.

M&M are perfectionists and decided to make a new design that would lessen the risk of creating this issue in production. They sent us 2 new systems, which were to be tested here in house. We tested one of the newly designed systems and it sounded even more aggressive but had drone.

Now comes the problem, the second muffler was accidentally put into stock! So AlexM received the 2nd test muffler. That is why there is such a large disparity between what many members are saying and what unfortunately happened with AlexM’s system. If AlexM will chime in here he will tell you that he needed the system very quickly, unfortunately we only had a 100 cell system in stock and the can is different. So I put together a package with the used 200 cell cats that we tested and what I thought was a new sound version muffler. Much to my dismay it was not, we were truly baffled to hear that it was droning. We were thinking it was something to do with the tips as we had never heard someone complain of drone. We eventually discovered that it was the 2nd test system!! We offered AlexM a new one but he declined. So unfortunately I could not rectify the situation.

With that said, I admire an exhaust company that is willing to go back to the drawing board to make customers happy. There are very few in the industry that go to such lengths. Working with M&M has been amazing, they designs are never stagnant, if they learn something on the track that benefits street systems they will put it into production.

AlexM would never be struck off my Christmas list, nor would you for that matter. I don’t have an ego speed21, so the above statement doesn’t matter to me, as your signature says “life’s too short….so let the good times roll!!”

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 08-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
M&M also makes the speedART exhausts as well, most of the sound characteristics come from the baffles inside the muffler which can be changed upon request of the tuner.
Matt,

M&M still awaiting a response. Kindly alter your above statement.

Thanks,
Rhonda

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any info on this 977.2tt exhaust?