997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

HID bulb upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmoney
Sorry for the delay guys, been crazy busy. Anyways, will be posting a comparo very soon, I tried a ton of bulbs as you can see, will post my thoughts shortly

Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
hey, could be worse, it could have been exhausts! At least I got that right the first time!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmoney
hey, could be worse, it could have been exhausts! At least I got that right the first time!
+1

Old 11-05-2010, 06:27 AM
dsmarks will become famous soon enough
There are a few different options on those Garax bulbs. Can you please give me the exact part number that you used so I make sure to get the right bulbs on the first try. They will go in a 2011 Turbo S cab.

Thanks

Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
D2S bulb.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Avoid the $50 Garax bulbs, I bought some from neweggmall thinking I got a great deal but they are not the same as the $100 ones carlighttrends also sell. I ran them in the comparison and they looked nice and white but with reduced lumens compared to the $100 ones and one failed to stay lit (tried it on both sides) and thats not the first time this has occured with the product it seems.

I did a lot of side by side testing and found the best bulbs in color and light output are the Philips Ultinon ($180), Hoen Vega ($90) and Garax 6000k ($100). All of these bulbs had similar design and to my eyes nice build quality with small variances here and there in lead color and capsule shape. The Ultinon and Vega were whiter than the Garax by a small margin.

Couple of the cheaper ones I tested were so bad light output wise it was ridiculous, those put out much more blue or purple light.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Former Vendor
Hoen will become famous soon enough
Hello I am glad you are happy with the bulbs as we have been working on them for a long time now.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Hoen - any update on LED application for H3 for fogs?

Also, didn't realize Hoen had HID bulbs....

Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor
We have a working sample of the 997.2 setup on the bench and are figuring out how to integrate the auto switch for DRL (which uses the H11 high beam) to direct to the new bulb. This has proven very tricky as one can imagine but we are working away on it but no time frame for completion im afraid.

We have always carried Philips Flash White / ultinon but supply is the main problem there so we decided to get our own produced. In the last 12 months the price has really come down cost wise on all of the components so we thought we would jump into the market. What we have produced is a bulb with identical kelvin and lumen characteristics but a bit easier to get a hold of and of course a more realistic price.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 PM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
As soon as you find out let us know. This company stands behind their products. I use the H3 for the fogs and they match OEM nicely. Thinking of upgrading my HID with 6000k bulbs. Hoen, do you carry anything that would work for me in that temp range?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Former Vendor
With the Vega we targeted for 5800k which keeps the most lumens possible while attaining pure white light, customer pics below.

factory

Vega

Old 11-05-2010, 03:01 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sbkim
Hoen - any update on LED application for H3 for fogs?

Also, didn't realize Hoen had HID bulbs....
LED in fog lights will not be bright enough for the road. I installed a HID kit for the fog lights.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I think the LED in fog is a DRL mod, not for fog use, thats a different bulb entirely inside the 997.2 light. You could theoretically still install an HID kit inside?

Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 PM
This is the Hoen Vega while driving (crappy iphone pic), ground coverage and sign illumination is on par with the factory bulbs only everything illuminated looks like daylight.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
I went on the Hoen website to look for the vega lights with no luck. Are they available to purchase or are they still in the process of developement?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID bulb upgrade