997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 GT2 in the Rain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:17 PM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
997 GT2 in the Rain?

I'm considering getting one. How bad are they in the rain? And if I'm willing to have a TT as a daily driver (which I do), would a GT2 be tolerable, or too stiff?

Please only answer if you own one.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Depends on what tires you're running. On the Pirelli Corsas they're tolerable in a drizzle but no way in hell would I drive through standing water or a downpour.

It's definitely stiffer than a TT no doubt, as far as whether you could daily drive it that depends more on your personal preference than anything else. That and the lip clearances you'll be encountering on a daily basis. The clutch is a lot stiffer than the TT as well, so if you're doing a lot of bumper to bumper your left leg is gonna buff up.
I've daily driven mine to and from work in the burbs, but I almost never take it to my condo in the city because of the traffic and lip clearance issues.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Pilot sport cups are pretty hairy in standing water but if you're willing to use more of a street tire then you'll be fine. Either that or it means a bit of planning

Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 AM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

Originally Posted by sharkster
Pilot sport cups are pretty hairy in standing water but if you're willing to use more of a street tire then you'll be fine. Either that or it means a bit of planning
Thanks Alex! I checked tirerack, and it doesn't seem like there are any rain-safe tire options. What do you recommend?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 AM
gtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud of
Not a lot of options but check Discount Tire for Nitto NT05. They have 235/35-19 or 245/35-19 fronts and 335/30-19 rears. These are much more of an all-weather performance tire. You could also run Michelin PS2 ZP (run flat) 325/30-19 rears and 235/35-19 regular fronts.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ELMEL
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

Thanks Alex! I checked tirerack, and it doesn't seem like there are any rain-safe tire options. What do you recommend?
You bet Eric... well if there's any way to get Corsas in that size they're a "bit" better. Otherwise it has to be a PS2...

Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 PM
HansGT2 will become famous soon enough
I've driven my GT2 on Pilot Cups (at about 70% tread remaining) on mountain roads in the rain. If you're mindful of the huge amount of torque just waiting to be unleashed by an injudicious prod of the throttle and if you're smooth and gentle on the controls, you'll be fine while still going fast. Fast enough to catch up with everyone else. Watch passing because you may momentarily forget about that gentle-throttle thing. Traction control saved the day for me a couple of times.

However, do keep an eye out for standing water. Hydroplaning can come up quickly at over 50 mph -- or even at lower speeds depending on the water depth. Stability and traction control won't save you if you encounter serious hydroplaning.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Just do not drive too fast... I've driven on completely bald RA1s in the rain on and off the track, just kept it under 50, took it real easy in the turns and watched for standing water. It isn't like the car breaks the wheels loose by itself just because it is a GT2

Last edited by djben; 10-11-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks again for all the responses. It turns out someone beat me to the car I wanted, so no GT2 for me. Not now anyway. Oh well.

BTW, I have a 500hp TTS now and I totally get the torque thing. I drive it every single day, so it's seen plenty of rain. I have no problems being judicious with the throttle, but let's face it, awd and PS2s are way more rain-friendly than rwd and water skis.

Last edited by ELMEL; 10-11-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:04 AM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
for a DD. a regular turbo will be more liveable

Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 AM
HansGT2 will become famous soon enough
Without a doubt, the TT is the better DD, especially in climes with inclement weather. Its FWD endows it with better traction and stability than the GT2, which places higher demands on driver involvement, concentration and skill. Which is why I bought the GT2 in the first place. It is not my DD.

One fun aspect of driving the GT2 in the rain is watching the big and high rooster tail thrown up by the cut-off tail of the car and channeled by the wing into a long wake.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I know the TT is a much more appropriate DD. And I LOVE my TT. But variety is the spice of life, and I'd like to own at least one GT-series car for daily driving at some point. I suppose I could just buy something else for rainy days, but I have no room for that now.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
Elmel,
Can't offer much advice on how it is in the rain as I've only had my 997 GT2 for about 3 mos./3 k miles. I bought it because it is more extreme than the tt. The ride is slightly harsh but not too much, and tire noise with windows down is a bit loud. All that goes away every time you push your right foot down, however. It's a complete rush to drive, and I just did the EVT600 upgrade and it's even more unbelievable. The front lip is a small pia but you learn to live with it. It's an unbelievable car in every way. I could go on but you get the point.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Nitto Invo in the rain. Not great track tires, but reasonable street tire with reasonable rain grip. If you drive your car with respect in the wet, you won't have any problems.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
not to hijack but how bad will M cups be in dry but cold temps? Any worse than other hi-perf. summer tires in the cold?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 in the Rain?