997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Intercoolers...997,2 Vs 997,1...Game over...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Basically, there were two independent tests performed, done differently, yet reach the same conclusion. I think the results are both valid and eye-opening.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Basically, there were two independent tests performed, done differently, yet reach the same conclusion. I think the results are both valid and eye-opening.
You right,there is not way no be mistaken but OS sugestions about track testing is very interesting,what i don't think main results will change but maybe the difference of 20'degrees may vary.
The efficience between the 997.1 IC and 997.2 IC is too big to change around the results in a track testing.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
As i ve stated before i ve tried 2 aftermarket performance intercoolers...(except from GT2rs and 997TT...) Both are well known here bar and plate design,for many hp applications...During 50-230 runs,IAT climbed at 75-76C for both of them...and when cruising WITHOUT load for 10 minutes,IAT refused to go below 45-47C...
This weekend (with GT2Rs ICs)after 15 minutes of spirited driving with 22C ambient,IAT didnt go above 46C...and when load was off during cruise,IAT dropped fast at 31C...

Old 11-23-2010, 01:36 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
I did my choice, so...
But I remember on this forum someone sent logs on track from his protomotive 700hp 996 or 997TT, He was running between 100 to 300kph and IAT stayed under 50°C, so not bad, but I ignore what exact parts he was using...
I'm sure a quarter mile is absolutely not enough to judge an IC, perhap's a mile begins to help, but only repeated hard loads, like track or long distance (few miles) high speed (>280kph) like we can do in Germany could permit to judge IC's.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:44 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Yes! Repeatability/reproducibility :-) is important. For example, how about studying the IAT not with a 60-130 run, but just cruising around at 70.
Originally Posted by bbywu
If you're just cruising at any speed, there is not load on the engine, no boost to increase temps. To test an IC, you have to subject it to engine load, no?
Ok how about cruising at 120 mph? :-) Kidding aside, I don't know Bob, and don't have enough experience to even guess what is an appropriate test for an intercooler (a deeper topic than we think, I think). I am just playing the devil's advocate here on this very fun thread.

It brings on so many questions. For example, is there any plausible explanation for why this intercoller is better:
1. Construction?
2. Material?
3. Size?

We know size is about the same, so that leaves 1 and 2 right? Unless there is some dramatic change in construction and material, could we accept that there is a huge improvement without any material change in the intercooler itself?

Last edited by cannga; 11-25-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
This thread isn't likely to ever go anywhere until the AM intercoolers in question here are named. This ridiculous "cloak and dagger" approach which has been taken is not right and basically maligns ALL aftermarket intercoolers. If a manufacturer has made a product claiming it to be better and, found that is lesser performing than the oem product then they aren't likely to respond or give any explanation to skandalists claims until such time the spotlight is clearly put on them. Is 6speedonline is now becoming a whisper club for those elite in the so called "know? 6 speeders are entitled to the truth! Name names and the onus falls clearly upon the manufacturer to answer for the situation. This "mystery" is very unfair aginst those am ic manufacturers who's IC's may well be better performing than the OEM. If anyone is waiting for a manufacturer to indulge this thread in its current form then you'll be waiting a long time. I don't even know why this thread was even started given the lack of transparency.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Your statement above mede me think what tests am ICs companies do to their products...I would like to see any manufacturer chime in and show us am IC Vs OEM IC IAT at any run...

Old 11-24-2010, 05:06 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Your statement above mede me think what tests am ICs companies do to their products...I would like to see any manufacturer chime in and show us am IC Vs OEM IC IAT at any run...

I agree with Skandalis,the manufacturer should chime in and show their tests.
Skan is not obligate to name the manufacturer,the manufacturers should if they care what the OP's subject is.

just my 1.5 cents

Old 11-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Nothing personal skand.....just making an observation. Being in the automotive parts business we are associated with a lot of manufacturers, OEM and aftermarket. In my experience what you are expecting is not going to happen in a hurry...if at all. Manufacturers don't work like that. If you want a response to your findings then you should put all your cards on the table. As i said, by coming up with findings as you have, and not naming the manufacturers you are effectively pidgeon holing all aftermarket intercoolers as being no good and that is not right. Why would any manufacturer come forward unless they are fingered? Do you think other manufacturers should come forward to explain their particular position? Cmon. I also note you answer selectively.... with many of canngas questions to you completely ignored. You are the OP Skand. You should oblige answers to those that put questions to you regardless.

Originally Posted by rdss
I agree with Skandalis,the manufacturer should chime in and show their tests.
Skan is not obligate to name the manufacturer,the manufacturers should if they care what the OP's subject is.

just my 1.5 cents
Everyone is entitled to their 1.5 cents . Why would any manufacturer that has nothing to do with this come in and answer for someone elses predicament. What is so wrong about naming the brands anyway? Is this a whisper club?

Old 11-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Well...I thought that the best I could do for the 6speed community was to public data of GT2RS ICs...i ve tried to explain that they are the best IC out there by far,at least for stock VTGs...As long as a.m. ICs were refunded,i have no reason to public these brands...Two different bar and plate ICs were tested and found to perform worse than OEM ICs...I think thats enough for a potential buyer to take advantage of the low price of porsche GT2RS ICs and excellent heat efficiency and install them...My goal is to show the good results and say bravo to Porsche for their products...

Old 11-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Gerardo will become famous soon enoughGerardo will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb

Well...I thought that the best I could do for the 6speed community was to public data of GT2RS ICs...i ve tried to explain that they are the best IC out there by far,at least for stock VTGs...As long as a.m. ICs were refunded,i have no reason to public these brands...Two different bar and plate ICs were tested and found to perform worse than OEM ICs...I think thats enough for a potential buyer to take advantage of the low price of porsche GT2RS ICs and excellent heat efficiency and install them...My goal is to show the good results and say bravo to Porsche for their products...

Is the GT2 RS IC same as 11 TurboS??

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2010, 03:03 AM
Banned
Firstly skand great work for the expose. No problem with that. It confirms P has a very effective R and D team. Mind you they would want to. After all P makes the car, and it IS a very special car by normal standards.

Reading your thread it became evident there was a growing tide from posters (yourself included) wanting/expecting (all or any) AM IC manufacturers to chime in to answer for your findings and enter into debate for the purpose of justifying their own positions. I'm merely pointing out the fact that unless you direct the question to those 2 manufacturers in question then there is little point in you or anyone carrying on about it any further by expecting responses. So, in other words...you made the point of your discovery, it appears good based on your testing.....but move on without expectation. So, if you wish to protect the offending manufacturers (which for the life of me makes no sense).....then there is no point asking why a stream of manufacturers arent climbing over the top of themselves chiming in on 6speed to indulge answers not specific to their own manufactured product. To get that you need to name names and direct any questions to these respective manufacturers for the purpose of giving them a right of reply.....which they are entitled to. Thats how it works in the real world (and fair play).....or should i say the world as i know from my experience in dealing with manufacturers OEM or otherwise. Manufacturers are generally not one man shows and simply have better things to do with their time rather than indulge the petty whims of a a forum thread over a matter that may not be relevant to their own particular product. In other words, why get involved or give legs to something as auspicious as this.

The other point i wanted to make was to identify that relaying news of this nature in a cloak and dagger fashion is that other innocent parties/manufacterers become entwined....in other words all Am iC's MUST be no good...or become assumed as no good. That to me is very unfair practice....and whilst perhaps not originally intended...is a collateral damage of sorts. There are ethics involved here and like it or not you became involved the moment you posted this thread so you should give consideration to that. To claim kudos for identifying the oem ics are good (or the only way to go) at the expense of ALL am ic manufacturers is a bit of a cop out imo. Best to be up front and put all cards on the table.....give those involved the right of reply

Finally i noted cannga had asked some pretty valid and relevant questions earlier and i note for some reason you are avoiding giving response to those. One would have thought given the nature of your claims it would be in your interest to answer those....needless to say there is an etiquette as the OP. Im sure many would have been interested to hear your answers on those...myself included. Please don't take any of what i am saying the wrong way. I feel if you are going to lift the lid on something then you should be completely honest and open in your undertakings.....to be fair on everyone involved.....(all) IC manufacturers included.

Last edited by speed21; 11-25-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by speed21

Everyone is entitled to their 1.5 cents . Why would any manufacturer that has nothing to do with this come in and answer for someone elses predicament. What is so wrong about naming the brands anyway? Is this a whisper club?
Skand made clear his statment "P GT2RS I/C works very well".He talked about one aftermarket I/C NOT all of them.He didn't name it,it's ok.Skan made real world test is what we want to see.What Skand's statement means is that "you should be aware of what you are buying" to help all of us.You see TV's AD comparing the promote brand and one unknown.They don't want to show the other brand's name,they want to state its promote's brand works better.There is no problem about that TV'AD.I don't see people jumping that they want to know the unknown brand's name,they focus on the promote brand.
This is NOT a whisper club but eather is "the last word lab's products test"
What is your fear??I don't see any manufacturer asking to name the other I/C's brand.Many of them have shown theyre tests.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rdss
Skand made clear his statment "P GT2RS I/C works very well".He talked about one aftermarket I/C NOT all of them.He didn't name it,it's ok.Skan made real world test is what we want to see.What Skand's statement means is that "you should be aware of what you are buying" to help all of us.You see TV's AD comparing the promote brand and one unknown.They don't want to show the other brand's name,they want to state its promote's brand works better.There is no problem about that TV'AD.I don't see people jumping that they want to know the unknown brand's name,they focus on the promote brand.
This is NOT a whisper club but eather is "the last word lab's products test"
What is your fear??I don't see any manufacturer asking to name the other I/C's brand.Many of them have shown theyre tests.
The reason he hasn't stated the names of the not so high performing intercoolers is because that was part of the refund policy to not be mentioned publicly. So for him to get his money back he was to with hold their name from the Mud slinging.

i think there is alot to be learned here, some intercoolers work better for flowing alot for making power and some do their job well for cooling.

when you mix the fluidynamics of a truly designed endtank for the application versus a high flow end tank you can achieve much better results then what was once thought of.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:41 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Speed 21, totally agree with you. Problem is that, while an awesome community, the forum is sponsor heavy and if you post data showing the inferiorty over a stock/non-vendor solution & cost the vendor money/customers, the PMs start rolling in saying the test/conclusions are invalid, unfair, slanderous, etc and to edit/remove the post or possibly face moderator action.

In my .2 cooler thread, I offered to independently test any of the ~$1500 "upgrades" against a .2 on the same car at the same time for thermal performance -crickets. I will say this, search as much as you can on all the various Porsche forums -if you can't find IAT logs from the intercooler you're considering (and there a few that stand out like a sore thumb), run away.

Hopefully threads like these will encourage more manufactures to start posting real data -the acquisition setups that will tell intercooler thermal efficiency are less than $300.

just my.02

Gerardo,
Yes. Same intercooler

Last edited by earl3; 11-25-2010 at 10:48 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercoolers...997,2 Vs 997,1...Game over...