997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 GT2 Boost/power problem Tuners please chime in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
RUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really nice
997 GT2 Boost/power problem Tuners please chime in

I recently changed my headers since they were cracked , after i changed them ive been experiancing a slight loss of boost/ power after 4rpm i.e it stays for 1.2 bar for a while then goes back to 1.4 normal.. the car feels like its on limp mode and not pulling as strong as before...

This happens about evrey second acceleration run and not all the time

At first i thought it might be the IATs and that the car is reducing timing i datalogged the car and the iats are normal when the problem occurs.

The strange thing about that is that when the car had 2 of the headers cracked i did not experiance this problem. Even before i replaced the headers i never experianced this problem on the track lap after lap...

I took the car to the dealer to check the boost hoses and they told me its fine and nothing is wrong??

I went under the car and checked the exhaust for any leaks and there was a slight exhaust leak before the right turbine...

There was a same leak at the right turbine before i replaced the cracked headers and didnt experiance the problem!!!

What do you think could be wrong with the car??

Could it be just the slight leak before the turbine?? which i doubt

or could it be the boost and intercooler houses???

Or could it be something in the turbine acuators?? i remember there was a recall on that they can get stuck and not produce full boost...

any input would be greatly appreciated

Moe

Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Cracked headers could just be a red herring. Do you have Durametric software? Plot your boost, AFRs, etc.

b

Old 02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Former Vendor
Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RUF QTR
I recently changed my headers since they were cracked , after i changed them ive been experiancing a slight loss of boost/ power after 4rpm i.e it stays for 1.2 bar for a while then goes back to 1.4 normal.. the car feels like its on limp mode and not pulling as strong as before...

This happens about evrey second acceleration run and not all the time

At first i thought it might be the IATs and that the car is reducing timing i datalogged the car and the iats are normal when the problem occurs.

The strange thing about that is that when the car had 2 of the headers cracked i did not experiance this problem. Even before i replaced the headers i never experianced this problem on the track lap after lap...

I took the car to the dealer to check the boost hoses and they told me its fine and nothing is wrong??

I went under the car and checked the exhaust for any leaks and there was a slight exhaust leak before the right turbine...

There was a same leak at the right turbine before i replaced the cracked headers and didnt experiance the problem!!!

What do you think could be wrong with the car??

Could it be just the slight leak before the turbine?? which i doubt

or could it be the boost and intercooler houses???

Or could it be something in the turbine acuators?? i remember there was a recall on that they can get stuck and not produce full boost...

any input would be greatly appreciated

Moe

What type of headers did you replace them with? are they the same at before just not cracked? I would make sure that you are 100% sealed up from the head to the turbine. If you have one turbo not boosting as efficiently as the other, the computer will see that it is having to make actuator adjustments to get to the requested boost levels.

Also you should log ignition timing numbers as well. make sure they are not dipping.

but first make sure you have 0 leaks in the exhaust manifold.

Kindest

Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM
RUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really nice
Originally Posted by Betim@BBIAutosport
What type of headers did you replace them with? are they the same at before just not cracked? I would make sure that you are 100% sealed up from the head to the turbine. If you have one turbo not boosting as efficiently as the other, the computer will see that it is having to make actuator adjustments to get to the requested boost levels.

Also you should log ignition timing numbers as well. make sure they are not dipping.

but first make sure you have 0 leaks in the exhaust manifold.

Kindest

Bethim , Thanks for the prompt reply , yes they are the same headers as before but brand new..

Its very strange since before when i had the cracked manifolds there was a major leak and i didnt experiance this problem...

Do you know whats the proper ignition value in the durametric?? since there are so many values to choose from?? Iats are fine and the ambient temperature is 15 degrees , I didnt experiance this loss of surge/power even at 30 degrees ambient..

Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I would perform boost pressure leak test, if you dont find any header/turbo leaks.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
Bethim , Thanks for the prompt reply , yes they are the same headers as before but brand new..

Its very strange since before when i had the cracked manifolds there was a major leak and i didnt experiance this problem...

Do you know whats the proper ignition value in the durametric?? since there are so many values to choose from?? Iats are fine and the ambient temperature is 15 degrees , I didnt experiance this loss of surge/power even at 30 degrees ambient..
ignition angle

Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
whats your mods ??

Old 02-07-2011, 04:21 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
i'd say the best way to identify your problem is by Durametric software

Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM
GT-TT will become famous soon enoughGT-TT will become famous soon enough
ok first thing is switch on and off your car and listen if the vtg actuators work, they do an on off when you switch off the car if i remember correctly. Or check the fault on durametric. This would show there immediately.
Second (and more likely) check the dump valve on both vtgs. They can leak and it is not detectable by any test or diagnostic. In fact these things go even in stock cars every few ,000 kms so you might as well change them anyway, they are not very expensive, as if they ve never been changed it is very likely that they leak.
Third do a proper leak test if problem persists.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Also check your diverter valves for leaks.and double check all air system clamps.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by ysfg35
whats your mods ??
My car has the RS Tuning 600hp kit , its been running flawlessly for 30k kilos until now

Originally Posted by yalmutawa
i'd say the best way to identify your problem is by Durametric software
I checked and there were no fault codes present

Originally Posted by GT-TT
ok first thing is switch on and off your car and listen if the vtg actuators work, they do an on off when you switch off the car if i remember correctly. Or check the fault on durametric. This would show there immediately.
Second (and more likely) check the dump valve on both vtgs. They can leak and it is not detectable by any test or diagnostic. In fact these things go even in stock cars every few ,000 kms so you might as well change them anyway, they are not very expensive, as if they ve never been changed it is very likely that they leak.
Third do a proper leak test if problem persists.
GT-TT , Thank you for your valuable input i doubt it is the acuators then since nothing showed up in the durametric.
About the dump valves do you mean the diverter valves??

Originally Posted by slawek
Also check your diverter valves for leaks.and double check all air system clamps.
Will do , Thank you all for the valuable feedback

Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I checked and there were no fault codes present
If you are losing power intermittently, you could have a leak, or your engine could be pulling boost due to a problem. Not every problem shows up as a fault code - log AFR, lambda, boost, etc. This will tell you where the problem is coming from. Something simple like a leak, plugs, dirty MAF, to something much more complicated.

- bob

Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
If you are losing power intermittently, you could have a leak, or your engine could be pulling boost due to a problem. Not every problem shows up as a fault code - log AFR, lambda, boost, etc. This will tell you where the problem is coming from. Something simple like a leak, plugs, dirty MAF, to something much more complicated.

- bob
Thanks bob
Im currently trying to resolve my problem with durametric , since it wont allow me to log more than 2 values

Old 02-07-2011, 10:07 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
My car has the RS Tuning 600hp kit , its been running flawlessly for 30k kilos until now
When's the last time you changed your plugs? Datalog as others have suggested.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by TTdude
When's the last time you changed your plugs? Datalog as others have suggested.
Last month...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Boost/power problem Tuners please chime in