997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fully Integrated SAT in PCM 3.0 Completed DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:48 PM
hjacobs2000 will become famous soon enough
Fully Integrated SAT in PCM 3.0 Completed DIY

Well, I love my 2009 turbo and have modded it with full performance upgrades from Champion including recently adding new Turbos and everthing listed in my sig. The one thing I regretted was not having SAT integrated into the PCM3. I had already installed a XM unit that I keep in the glove box and play through the aux input of the PCM3, but I would have to open the glovebox to change channels and the PCM would obviously only display aux.

Meanwhile, since I wasn't satisfied, with a nonintegrated kit, I was constantlly look for a company to come out with some type unit to do this mod. Yesterday at 11:30 I saw a press release from NAV-TV for their new integrated SIRIUS (not XM) sat kit for the PCM3. Long story short, I drove to NAV-TV in Boca and 2 hours later I was home with the unit and a new project. While the DYI install took longer than I thought it would 6 hours with no written instructions. I completed the project and the NAV-TV SIRIUS kit works as advertised and so now I have my XM going through my aux and SIRIUS showing up through the PCM3.

The guys at NAV-TV were very helpful with providing me some documentation for other simular NAV-TV SAT kits and after hour support via cell phone (thanks Tony)

As a side note, since I installed the DENSION kit 5 years ago on my old 2006 997S (PCM2), I had some extra fiber/most cables to make the install a little easier. I am making some recommendations to NAV-TV on Monday to include two extra fiber cables in these upgrade kits when they start pushing them out in volume.

More pics to follow but these are a few. I ended up moving the unit to several places to get the best fit which added to the install time. All pics were taken from my iPhone 4 and even though the PCM3 shows XM (hardcoded) in some areas, it is once again SIRIUS and not XM. NO programming required by Porsche. Just a small set of sequences (done by the owner) with the break, hand break and high beams to activate or deactivate

Attached Images      

Last edited by hjacobs2000; 02-26-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:50 PM
And some more shots after the installation

Attached Images      
Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Thanks for sharing. This is awesome!
Is that the Sirius Antenna in pic #2, mounted next to the battery?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
wow the 1st - Porsche probably doesn't even know one could do what you just did. sell them the info!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:43 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Fantastic! Great thread!! This was the ne option that my new Turvo S lacked!! Do you give up the AUX for it? I assume yes. I figured somebody would figure out something!

Thanks for posting.

6 hours? What was the most time consuming part of the install?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
WheRe is the press release?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by TooSixy
Thanks for sharing. This is awesome!
Is that the Sirius Antenna in pic #2, mounted next to the battery?

Pic 2 is actually the main NAV-TV cotrol unit that I moved to below the the radio housing. The antenna is a 1 by 1 regular sat antenna that I place in the cowling above the air filter. As a side note, I will probably move it from there (not sure where to yet) because XM has a much stronger signal in sotheast Florida than SIRUIS(thats where my portable XM antenna is). If I drive north above Lake Okeechobe, I have much better reception with the SIRUIS antenna in the cowling. I'll provide pics of the antenna tomorrow or Monday. There are 3 boxes that come with the unit. The NAV-TV control unit as seen in pic 2, the programming unit, not shown and the SIRUIS control unit in the trunk well. Both NAV-TV boxes connects to the PCM through radio and is inside the cabin except I ran the provided SIRIUS cable through the gromet behind the battery to connect the SIRIUS control unit to the NAV-TV control unit. Power is provided through the SIRIUS cable, so there is no need to for additional power to the SIRIUS control unit.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by thebland
WheRe is the press release?

Google NAV-TV SIR-PCM3.0 and everyone who has anything to do with auto radio is showing it. I have nothing to do with this company and actually used their competitor on my 06 997S PCM2

NAV-TV Launches the First Sirius Satellite Radio

<!-- content -->
Integration Solution for late-model Porsche Vehicles
Boca Raton, FL (02.18.11) – NAV-TV ®, the industry leader in vehicle network integration technology for infotainment and telematics device optimization, announces the release of the much anticipated SIR-PCM3.0 Sirius Satellite Radio integration solution for late-model Porsche vehicles equipped with the PCM3.0 touch-screen radio.
The SIR-PCM3.0 Satellite Radio solution for late-model Porsche vehicles is based on NAV-TV’s successful SIR-POR for PCM2.0 equipped Porsche vehicles and has all of the benefits and features including direct control from the factory touch-screen radio, category lists, pre-sets and on-screen song and artist descriptions. The innovative NAV-TV SIR-PCM3.0 allows for full integration to Porsche vehicles with the PCM3.0 radio and MOST ® fiber optic network and is compatible with 2009-2011 997, Boxster and Cayman as well as the 2009-2010 Porsche Cayenne.
For ease of installation and to ensure a seamless integration, the SIR-PCM3.0 programs the PCM3.0 radio to accept a satellite radio module without the need to involve a Porsche service center or dealership. NAV-TV’s SIR-PCM3.0 is designed, engineered and validated to provide a high quality product with the look and feel of a factory-installed system. Unlike other Satellite Radio kits, the SIR-PCM3.0 integrates directly with the vehicles network and radio. Drivers use the buttons on the radio’s touch-screen, as well as their steering wheel controls, to change stations, select or set a pre-set and to change categories.
The SIR-PCM3.0 is available and shipping now through Authorized NAV-TV dealers. If you would like further information on the SIR-PCM3.0, or for a referral to an Authorized NAV-TV dealer in your area, please contact NAV-TV’s Sales and Support staff at 1-866-477-3336 9-6 EST M-F or visit them on the web at www.nav-tv.com.

Last edited by hjacobs2000; 02-26-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:07 AM
Originally Posted by hjacobs2000
NO programming required by Porsche. Just a small set of sequences (done by the owner) with the break, hand break and high beams to activate or deactivate
Could you explain this a bit?

Price?

Thanks!

Last edited by thebland; 02-27-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 AM
Could you explain this a bit?

Price?

Thanks!
Programming and deprogramming works through the kit

Programming the interface:

1. Key On
2. Headlights On
3. Parking Brake engaged
4. Hold Brake pedal down
5. Flash High-Beams:
4 or 8 times for vehicles with navigation
10 times for vehicles without navigation

Deprogramming the interface

1. Key On
2. Headlights On
3. Parking Brake engaged
4. Hold Brake pedal down
5. Flash High-Beams 6 times

Last edited by hjacobs2000; 02-27-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 AM
What did you pay? And thanks for all the info!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 AM
what did you pay? And thanks for all the info!

$995

Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Wow, great news for those who need Sat! I've had the NAV TV on a previous car and it works as advertised.

If you want to improve antenna performance, you can consider bedding the area under it with tin foil.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
***NOT COMPATIBLE ON '11 Models!

hjacobs, mind looking at your Porsche Nav screen?? Thanks@!

I called NAV TV to inquire about this piece.

Certain '11 models are not compatible and there is an EASY TEST to see if you are Ok to use it or not:

1. Press the SOURCE and INFO buttons simultaneously after powering up the car (wait 45 secs after powering up auto).

A) If the screen says ACTIVE SYSTEM in the upper right screen - you're screwed

B) If the screen says CURRENT SYSTEM in the upper right screen - you're OK

My screen tells me my car is incompatible...

Curious to see what the OP's Nav system says as there seems to be some parts of the screen that say XM though it is a Sirius unit... If his Porsche Nav is 'incompatible', sounds like it works anyways..

Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
hjacobs, mind looking at your porsche nav screen?? Thanks@!

I called nav tv to inquire about this piece.

Certain '11 models are not compatible and there is an easy test to see if you are ok to use it or not:

1. Press the source and info buttons simultaneously after powering up the car (wait 45 secs after powering up auto).

A) if the screen says active system in the upper right screen - you're screwed

b) if the screen says current system in the upper right screen - you're ok

my screen tells me my car is incompatible...

Curious to see what the op's nav system says as there seems to be some parts of the screen that say xm though it is a sirius unit... If his porsche nav is 'incompatible', sounds like it works anyways..

current system

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fully Integrated SAT in PCM 3.0 Completed DIY