997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 engine air filter change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
It doesn't clog as dirty LMFAO because all of the fine dirt particles pass right through the filter and instead of dirtying the disposable throw away paper filter rather the dirt piles up as black dirty soot into the plumbing and intake manifold.

why you think an oil lubricant is required to help trap the dirt that is an extra cost and an extra maintenance step that the cheaper paper filter does simply as it is supposed to..like ummmm filtrate air pollution?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
here's the real deal...you want to squeeze (I give you extra 2HP at best) on a track day at the Porsche Cup race if you feel every little bit of HP helps on your ECM and Exhaust tune will give you...sure drop in an oiled K&N or BMC filter for the few hours on the track.....
That filter and a good down wind ..may be.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I run a BMC filter and honestly I think it slightly altered the pitch of my engine note. The key to using oiled filters is not over-oiling or running it dry. ITG makes some foam element filters (dry) but not sure if there is a factory fit for our cars yet

Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM
It does alter the sound definitely. You hear a greater audible wooooshhhh...
Still aint worth the dirt... Listen I'm talking about MY OWN EXPERIENCES.
I don't voice an opinion unless I've been there done that.
Just giving opinions as I see it...the good the bad and the fugly..take it or leave it.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
BCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to beholdBCNeil is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jmw911
Seemed like my car felt a little better after the filter, and that could just be all mental since I wanted it to be better. Felt like response was quicker. Don't know if there is any truth to that or if it is just wishful thinking but either way I like it.
LOL, I run the BMC too. But I think replacing an old dirty filter with stock, gives that better feel also. For the price and being reusable its a great option.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Just ordered a BMC - will let you know thoughts as soon as I get it in!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM
dyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud of
Any discernible differences in any of the performance metrics like 0 to 60, 100 or 60 to 130 or quarter mile times or trap speeds? Howe about compared to one of the intake kits?

Old 05-02-2011, 06:09 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dyc1077
Any discernible differences in any of the performance metrics like 0 to 60, 100 or 60 to 130 or quarter mile times or trap speeds? Howe about compared to one of the intake kits?
None

Old 05-02-2011, 08:12 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Yup, none - other than a slight change in sound.
Don't be fooled by any of the intake kits, OEM or replacement filter like the BMC are the way to go.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:44 PM
IbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Yup, none - other than a slight change in sound.
Don't be fooled by any of the intake kits, OEM or replacement filter like the BMC are the way to go.
what about K&N? BMC is $225 when K&N is less than half that.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:07 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
This has been covered many times throughout many forums...

Bottom line is the best solution is the OEM intake and filter. You get nothing (other than sound) from the oiled filters...Why? Because they let more air/dirt through....Oil them up and you can buy two new MAF sensors...Not worth the risk if you ask me.

Other intake styles - Laughingly called Cold Air Intakes, actually let more hot air in to the system and actually reduce power...But again...They do sound different...

So, if you want to sacrifice HP for sound....get the aftermarket intake....If you want to risk destroying the MAF's then...drop in filters.

If you want the best solution...keep a fresh, clean OEM filter installed...

Good luck!
DC

Old 02-10-2015, 01:10 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by therock88
This has been covered many times throughout many forums...

Other intake styles - Laughingly called Cold Air Intakes
No one could figure out where the cold air was coming from and there was so much laughter that the vendors had to change the name to "Competition Air Intake".

Old 02-10-2015, 01:47 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
No one could figure out where the cold air was coming from and there was so much laughter that the vendors had to change the name to "Competition Air Intake".
Yes! I saw that. Made me chuckle I mean they look cool and sound cool, so we almost try to convince ourselves that they will improve performance. Maybe that is the Cool they are referring to..."Cool" looking - "Cool" sounding....haha

DC

Old 12-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Dean997TT is on a distinguished road
Wrong air filter?

Hello... newbie here. I just bought a 2007 997 TT and was looking into the air filters to replace the one I have. Every time I search for the air filter that should match the car, the results come back to the irregular shaped filter as opposed to the rectangular shaped filter (see both pics). I know the rectangular shaped one is the correct one, but what is the other one for? does that go somewhere in the TT too? If yes, I will keep it, but if no I will return it.

Plus, does K&N make the rectangular one? I cannot find it... I am only finding it at BMC.

Please advise.
Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 12-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Dean997TT
Hello... newbie here. I just bought a 2007 997 TT and was looking into the air filters to replace the one I have. Every time I search for the air filter that should match the car, the results come back to the irregular shaped filter as opposed to the rectangular shaped filter (see both pics). I know the rectangular shaped one is the correct one, but what is the other one for? does that go somewhere in the TT too? If yes, I will keep it, but if no I will return it.

Plus, does K&N make the rectangular one? I cannot find it... I am only finding it at BMC.

Please advise.
Thanks.
You want the second picture - rectangular one. You only need that one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 engine air filter change?