997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

oil over fill = engine gone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Here is the information published by Porsche from the service manual:
Interesting - does this mean that the capacity on the TT is 11 litres but an oil change only requires 8 litres - 3 litres stay behind?

Also, poster before yours Bob says he has all bars lit but I think all bars lit means overfill according to the owner's manual. Problem with the bars is that the last bar doesn't tell you if you are over by 0.4 litres or over by 2.0 litres. Also if he's adding a quart to get the last bar to fill in, that's too much since each bar represents 0.4 litres.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Here is the information published by Porsche from the service manual:
My 997.1 glove-box manual reads 8.5 qts leaving top bar empty and OK to fill the top bar but no more which according to the 0.5 qt reference says ok to 9.0 qts.. One of the dealers I go to has put in 9.5 qts with no problems, maybe he drains turbos, don't know. Just doesn't make sense that Porsche hasn't allowed adequate head-room for oil in these engines for as litle as a 0.5 qt without major issues. With as much as these turbos burn oil, the closer to max the better. There is a dealer in Tampa that sells 0-40 oil only for changes but is willing to top free if you come in. At $4/gal gas, that's not a good deal. Still think this missing dipstick sucks big time. In such a design, the P-engineers must have had their heads locked in where little sunshine reaches.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
My 997.1 glove-box manual reads 8.5 qts leaving top bar empty and OK to fill the top bar but no more which according to the 0.5 qt reference says ok to 9.0 qts.. One of the dealers I go to has put in 9.5 qts with no problems, maybe he drains turbos, don't know. Just doesn't make sense that Porsche hasn't allowed adequate head-room for oil in these engines for as litle as a 0.5 qt without major issues. With as much as these turbos burn oil, the closer to max the better. There is a dealer in Tampa that sells 0-40 oil only for changes but is willing to top free if you come in. At $4/gal gas, that's not a good deal. Still think this missing dipstick sucks big time. In such a design, the P-engineers must have had their heads locked in where little sunshine reaches.
While 0.5 qt would appear to be OK, according to the owner's manual if you're adding to get all the bars full, you're adding too much. The top line referred to below is the line indicated by the top arrow not the top of the bar. Here's what the owner's manual says:
– If the segments are filled in up to the top line,
the oil level has reached the maximum mark.

f Under no circumstances add engine oil.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:17 PM
2fas4u is on a distinguished road
Unhappy wow!

That's why you need a friggin dipstick. Why don't the dipsticks in Stuttgart know this!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned
Cpais has a spectacular aura aboutCpais has a spectacular aura aboutCpais has a spectacular aura about
I think you should feel lucky that you went to that shop for one reason, they had insurance that covered your engine. I cannot tell you how many independent repair shops operate without insurance. Yes, it's unfortunate that it happened. It sounds like he has done them before and made a mistake. I am surprised that the motor needed to be replaced.

Count your blessings that the shop was insured and it sounds like, even though it was a lousy outcome, had the most painless resolution that you could have expected from it.

Good luck with everything.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 AM
gt1547 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, It is all going to work out. The dealership received the new engine yesterday and Travelers called to reassure me that they were covering 100%. Car should be ready by the end of the week.

I too was surprised that it ruined the engine, there is evidently not much room for error.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by gt1547
Thanks, It is all going to work out. The dealership received the new engine yesterday and Travelers called to reassure me that they were covering 100%. Car should be ready by the end of the week.

I too was surprised that it ruined the engine, there is evidently not much room for error.
Now we can start a break-in thread for you - I'm sure we'll get all the different opinions! While the engine is out you might look at clutch, etc. too.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 06-29-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
gt1547 is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to give everyone an update on my engine replacement. 3 weeks to the day I picked up my car, everything is good and the car runs great. Insurance covered 100% ($35,500). I was told by the dealership that normally replacement engines are factory remanufactured, but that I received a new line engine that came completely assembled including all accessories and belts.

Hard lesson learned, but in this case it worked out.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 PM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Glad everything worked out. I like doing my own oil changes (and I do one at least every 5000 miles). One thing I ALWAYS do besides torque the bolts to the specified numbers is I measure the oil I take out and never put back more than I take out. My car doesn't burn much oil but when I add oil I do it carefully adding a little at a time. I like keeping my oil level 3/4 full or just above that when the top bar lights up. When it drops to 3/4 I wait a bit and then add 1/4 of a quart of oil at a time until the top bar lights up again (but just barely). If we had the dipstick I wouldn't need to measure the oil I remove but these engines are just too expensive to replace. Good thing they had insurance and everything worked out. Now enjoy it!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:11 AM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Unfortunate story, glad it worked out. Make sure you have PCNA and your dealership document WHY the engine was replaced (is it new or "refurbished"), so that you don't take a significant hit if you ever sell your car.

On another note, are you at all handy? The oil change for a 997TT is quite easy:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-m97-70-a.html

BBYWU - Have you seen a oil change DIY for the 997.2TT while patrolling the streets?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Thumbs up Happy to hear all is OK!

Originally Posted by gt1547
During an oil change on my 997.1 turbo a local shop drained the oil tank but not the crankcase then proceeded to add 8.5 quarts of oil. The car was driven to the edge of the parking lot where smoke was noticed so I idled back to the shop (probably 200 yards). The oil was drained (10.5 quarts) and the correct amount was added. Car was started and was still smoking so they called the Porsche dealership and was told that the engine was probably toast but we might be lucky and to idle car for several minutes to see if it would quit smoking. After several minutes the smoke seemed to be diminishing so I thought i would drive it around the block to see if it would clean up. As I was pulling out of the parking lot there was tons of smoke and some very bad sounding noises. The car was hauled to the dealership 120 mile away and the diagnosis was that the motor was trashed. After almost 2 weeks I just found out that the local shops insurance is covering 100% of the cost to install a brand new engine (approx. $35,000) and car will be done this week. Lesson learned dealership service only on all 3 porsches from now on.
What a nightmare - happy to hear it all worked out.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by gradyex
Glad everything worked out. I like doing my own oil changes (and I do one at least every 5000 miles). One thing I ALWAYS do besides torque the bolts to the specified numbers is I measure the oil I take out and never put back more than I take out. My car doesn't burn much oil but when I add oil I do it carefully adding a little at a time. I like keeping my oil level 3/4 full or just above that when the top bar lights up. When it drops to 3/4 I wait a bit and then add 1/4 of a quart of oil at a time until the top bar lights up again (but just barely). If we had the dipstick I wouldn't need to measure the oil I remove but these engines are just too expensive to replace. Good thing they had insurance and everything worked out. Now enjoy it!
I thought top bar lit = too much.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 AM
jouzef is on a distinguished road
thnx for ur inf.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I thought top bar lit = too much.

I should of clarified the "top" bar a little better. There is another smaller bar that can lite up above the full mark (at least on my 07). Don't go to the very top of the column because that means its overfilled. I meant the bigger bar below it as full. Glad you brought that to my attention. Don't want to confuse folks. Inbetween the top and bottom small bars are 3 larger bars in the column. Those 3 bars bars inbetween represent about 0.5 liters of oil. If you have a 997.1 TT go to page 134 of your manual for a better illustration of where the oil level should be (the arrows in the diagram show the max and min). Thanks again for pointing this out.

Last edited by gradyex; 07-11-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by gradyex
I should of clarified the "top" bar a little better. There is another smaller bar that can lite up above the full mark (at least on my 07). Don't go to the very top of the column because that means its overfilled. I meant the bigger bar below it as full. Glad you brought that to my attention. Don't want to confuse folks. Inbetween the top and bottom small bars are 3 larger bars in the column. Those 3 bars bars inbetween represent about 0.5 liters of oil. If you have a 997.1 TT go to page 134 of your manual for a better illustration of where the oil level should be (the arrows in the diagram show the max and min). Thanks again for pointing this out.
I agree - it does get confusing. I have a 997.1 also but there is only one bar that is above the "max" line and arrow and I've been told that bar should not be lit. We're probably talking about the same thing - as long as the electronic indicator bars are between the arrows, my car is happy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: oil over fill = engine gone