997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2's ICs limit? (GT2RS's)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 AM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
997.2's ICs limit? (GT2RS's)

Hi guys,

As some know I bolted this winter 997.2Ic's on my 650chp/850Nm 997.1TT (6spd, upgraded vtgs; etc...)

My car is midly fast in regard of its power from the beginning.
(actually best Vboxed 100-200: 6.3' by 20°C AT, pumpgas)

By 20°C AT, a 3rd + 4th pull was enough to go ECU in "time pulling" with the STOCK ics. (best 100-300 by 05°C AT: 27.9')

During winter the 997.2 parts helped me to keep a consistent power, but only <15°C AT... (best 100-300 by 05°C AT: 23.9')

Recently I worked with Protomotive to optimise a tune with my set up, it is not totally finished but we have now a quite good one.
I could see my 100-200 times progressing with the different tunes, but my 100-300 was always the same, whatever the (Todd's) tune I loaded in: 25' !
So I logged (Durametric) a few 100-300 and could see the end 5th and the ALL 6th are in degraded ECU mode! (by only 20°C AT!)
Todd can map the better tune, when IAT reaches 58°C it is "over" to perform a time!

I'm surprised some bros even in warm countries (Greece ...) are so happy with those parts, some engines there are stronger than mine and the weather warmer?

Those coolers are OK for low speeds or even repeated short pulls (2 or 3 gears maxi) but I think if I want a really good 100-300 (or top end) by >15°C AT I need better coolers... (new question: which ones?)
For now I do not move on this issue, going in holidays soon etc...
But if I bolt others parts I will log for sure and share.

Stay tuned!

P.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Go with Todd's 5" i/cs.
I have the same i/cs as you and have been very impressed with them even in the recent heatwave, but I haven't done any runs up to 300, barely 200 on occasion.

So you are seeing iat of 58? I'm a bit surprised b/c Earl's results iirc showed no issues with repeated high speed runs.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I can almost guarantee you that you won't find a better performing intercooler then ours.

Size does not matter...it's all about the core material. And right now, no one else is using this material besides us. They flow better and cool better....and right now they're on sale until the end of the month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqvCF717Pko

Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Go with Todd's 5" i/cs.
I have the same i/cs as you and have been very impressed with them even in the recent heatwave, but I haven't done any runs up to 300, barely 200 on occasion.

So you are seeing iat of 58? I'm a bit surprised b/c Earl's results iirc showed no issues with repeated high speed runs.
I was surprised too, I checked all my hoses for leaks (to avoid overspinning) but the logs are here... by 20°C the first pulls I keep< 58°C IAT in 5th, but it is dead in 6th; after a few pulls IAT reaches 58°C above 6000rpm in 5th.
Earl's engine run with 1.2bar max boost and smaller air volume than mine, and his runs were <150mph if I'm well...
I was like you and him pretty happy with those Ics, but my "research about my low top end" drived me here!

Are Todd's 5' the TPCs?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
I don't want to open a can of worms up here but unfortunately, I've seen data from the 5" coolers to 300km/hr on a 700+hp car and GT-TTs 750hp .2 cooler data to 300 km/hr (both at 1.6 bar). The .2s peaked lower and started dropping temps at 270 km/hr while the 5" were still climbing at 300 (ambient temps were within 3C). Something to consider before dropping $4k. There's only so much you can do with a fixed 14" x 9" of core area. You can go thicker and you'll have a bigger heat sink that will take longer to soak, but its also harder to cool once its soaked. What I'm getting at is the laws of thermo are going to keep you at 70-80% steady state intercooler efficiency on these cars, despite what some may claim.

If you do go with an AM cooler, please do back to back logs so we know the difference that many manufactures won't provide.

I like the *looks* of the Champion coolers as they have a pretty dense core (ala Secan or CTR), but cost much less.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by earl3
I don't want to open a can of worms up here but unfortunately, I've seen data from the 5" coolers to 300km/hr on a 700+hp car and GT-TTs 750hp .2 cooler data to 300 km/hr (both at 1.6 bar). The .2s peaked lower and started dropping temps at 270 km/hr while the 5" were still climbing at 300 (ambient temps were within 3C). Something to consider before dropping $4k. There's only so much you can do with a fixed 14" x 9" of core area. You can go thicker and you'll have a bigger heat sink that will take longer to soak, but its also harder to cool once its soaked. What I'm getting at is the laws of thermo are going to keep you at 70-80% steady state intercooler efficiency on these cars, despite what some may claim.

If you do go with an AM cooler, please do back to back logs so we know the difference that many manufactures won't provide.

I like the *looks* of the Champion coolers as they have a pretty dense core (ala Secan or CTR), but cost much less.
You are right I remember this thread with GT-TT, I know his car is stronger than mine, its boost too; I would be interested to see a log from George by actual AT... (not 3°C)

Last Champion's Ics seem good yes, but I agree with you, if you and me can log, so manufactures can and be sure if I would product and sell this kind of parts, I would provide logs with AT, IAT, Rpm, car speed and Boost to show the efficience of my products to the customers!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K24F
Last Champion's Ics seem good yes, but I agree with you, if you and me can log, so manufactures can and be sure if I would product and sell this kind of parts, I would provide logs with AT, IAT, Rpm, car speed and Boost to show the efficience of my products to the customers!
K24F.....I have provided a log from a 996 GT2 with out intercoolers here:

96 GT2 @ Champion

I've also attached it to the post here at the bottom.

I have tons of logs of our intercoolers on many of the cars we build, mostly 997 Turbos with our larger billet VTG turbochargers. If there's something you'd like to see that I haven't shown yet....feel free to ask.

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
K24F.....I have provided a log from a 996 GT2 with out intercoolers here:

96 GT2 @ Champion

I've also attached it to the post here at the bottom.

I have tons of logs of our intercoolers on many of the cars we build, mostly 997 Turbos with our larger billet VTG turbochargers. If there's something you'd like to see that I haven't shown yet....feel free to ask.
Yes Tom, thank you, it shows a nice only 10°C difference with AT, but only 1.2bar a short time and a run in 4th on a dyno. (duration might be a few seconds only, so short load)

If you have in your files I would find more informative to see a 997TT log with upgraded vtgs on the road with hard pulls at high speeds.
I'm OK with your chart on the dyno but I believe the need for this kind of logs is to be done on the road conditions.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM
besiktas will become famous soon enoughbesiktas will become famous soon enough
You being slow (after 200 km/h obviously) is not about only your AIT's. It's mostly because of your high EGT's. And this caused by VTG's. There is no way to be very fast after 200 km/h as you are before it with VTG's. These things get hot real quickly.

Originally Posted by K24F
Hi guys,

As some know I bolted this winter 997.2Ic's on my 650chp/850Nm 997.1TT (6spd, upgraded vtgs; etc...)

My car is midly fast in regard of its power from the beginning.
(actually best Vboxed 100-200: 6.3' by 20°C AT, pumpgas)

By 20°C AT, a 3rd + 4th pull was enough to go ECU in "time pulling" with the STOCK ics. (best 100-300 by 05°C AT: 27.9')

During winter the 997.2 parts helped me to keep a consistent power, but only <15°C AT... (best 100-300 by 05°C AT: 23.9')

Recently I worked with Protomotive to optimise a tune with my set up, it is not totally finished but we have now a quite good one.
I could see my 100-200 times progressing with the different tunes, but my 100-300 was always the same, whatever the (Todd's) tune I loaded in: 25' !
So I logged (Durametric) a few 100-300 and could see the end 5th and the ALL 6th are in degraded ECU mode! (by only 20°C AT!)
Todd can map the better tune, when IAT reaches 58°C it is "over" to perform a time!

I'm surprised some bros even in warm countries (Greece ...) are so happy with those parts, some engines there are stronger than mine and the weather warmer?

Those coolers are OK for low speeds or even repeated short pulls (2 or 3 gears maxi) but I think if I want a really good 100-300 (or top end) by >15°C AT I need better coolers... (new question: which ones?)
For now I do not move on this issue, going in holidays soon etc...
But if I bolt others parts I will log for sure and share.

Stay tuned!

P.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by besiktas
You being slow (after 200 km/h obviously) is not about only your AIT's. It's mostly because of your high EGT's. And this caused by VTG's. There is no way to be very fast after 200 km/h as you are before it with VTG's. These things get hot real quickly.
I bolt on catbypasses to reduce backpressure and EGT.
Even during hard loads the EGT does not exceed 900°C (often 840°C), but I know, it is "modelled" EGT with the Durametric.

What I'm sure is my IAT exceeds 55°C the whole 6th when WOT from 3rd to 300 by 20°C AT...

I might only run high speeds in winter?

I wonder how the logs could be if I was living in Middle East or other warm/hot countries!?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:19 AM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
I thought thr GTRS intercoolers were a great upgrade especially for the cost on a mild tune. no?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 AM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
Originally Posted by L8Apex
I thought thr GTRS intercoolers were a great upgrade especially for the cost on a mild tune. no?
rest assured you won't find a better part for the price.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
I can almost guarantee you that you won't find a better performing intercooler then ours.

Size does not matter...it's all about the core material. And right now, no one else is using this material besides us. They flow better and cool better....and right now they're on sale until the end of the month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqvCF717Pko
send me please one set, I will test it on the street on the dyno and will let you know what they worth
if they are good I will let them all know and they will believe me for sure, what do you think?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
send me please one set, I will test it on the street on the dyno and will let you know what they worth
if they are good I will let them all know and they will believe me for sure, what do you think?
What kind of intercoolers are you currently using?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
I was the codriver of George (GT-TT) when we logged his famous AM coolers Vs GT2RS(997,2TT) coolers...we are talking about 20deg celsious difference...and strange enough after 270km GT2RS coolers started to lower iat...I do have all his logs...day and night difference...
P.S. when his car was tuned with AM coolers he had around 700hp...with GT2Rs coolers,he drove again to sportec and the car was fine tuned again taking advantage of lower IATs...difference?40hp...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2's ICs limit? (GT2RS's)