997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

996 and 997.1 coming out as mod leaders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Okay, my car already has high flow exhaust and tune. Now, which turbos should i get to achieve 750hp...
I know that modified turbos need a new ECU sw, and there is also alot more stuff involved than just exhaust, ecu and turbos.

Evolution Motorsports EVO750R - USD 25K
Cargraphic Kit4 (650HP) - EUR 35k
Switzer P750 - USD 18k
Sportec 750 - CHF 84K (EUR 71K)

Despite of the power kit price, without installation cost, in my case i also have to add more USD10k for tip upgrade.

If i were in the market searching to build a high HP Porsche, then the best value for the money would be the 996 and not the 997. The price of the car hardly will depreciate more than the current value, and with the saved money compared to the 997.1, you can upgrade the engine with better parts than the ones that Porsche used for the 997.1 engine.

Last edited by Tiago; 08-30-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 AM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ari
I think the point is how easily can you access that power:

996= Exhaust, Diverters, turbos, tune, injectors, upgraded clutch/tip = 700 HP
997 = Exhaust, Turbos, tune, upgraded clutch/tip = 750 HP
991 = exhaust, tune, rebuild PDK $$$$, Turbos, Fuel system upgrade (upgrading DFI here not exactly mainstream $$$ plus the engine isnt proven. Luckily when you pay $160k for the car you can spend $50K on mods
I agree with your comment on ease of increasing power. While a Gallardo TT is impressive, it's also an irreversible $100,000+ mod.

I edited your post. :-)

So at what point does the 997.1 need a fuel upgrade?

John H

Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 AM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Tiago
Okay, my car already has high flow exhaust and tune. Now, which turbos should i get to achieve 750hp...
I know that modified turbos need a new ECU sw, and there is also alot more stuff involved than just exhaust, ecu and turbos.

Evolution Motorsports EVO750R - USD 25K
Cargraphic Kit4 (650HP) - EUR 35k
Switzer P750 - USD 18k
Sportec 750 - CHF 84K (EUR 71K)

Despite of the power kit price, without installation cost, in my case i also have to add more USD10k for tip upgrade.

If i were in the market searching to build a high HP Porsche, then the best value for the money would be the 996 and not the 997. The price of the car hardly will depreciate more than the current value, and with the saved money compared to the 997.1, you can upgrade the engine with better parts than the ones that Porsche used for the 997.1 engine.
Why consider one of those upgrade packages when you already have an exhaust and tune? Can your tune not be "upgraded" to a new file for different turbos? If so or even if not that shouldn't run more than $1-2k. Larger VTG turbos should only run you $2.5k or so. Then add some 997.2TT ICs. Good to go - power wise at least?

John H

Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by John H.
Why consider one of those upgrade packages when you already have an exhaust and tune?
The best tunners will only garantee the power increase when sold as a kit. If you mix parts, they won't help you much if things don't work properply. When you mix parts, you are making a custom kit, and therefore to make it all work together properly you will need a alpha/custom tune. With the right parts and ecu tunner you can gain more HP than the available packages, but this normally will cost more and the risk to fail is also higher. I know this because i already had been in the market for it.
You must add to the upgrade list bigger IC's and piping. In the end you will spend +25k to be able to drive it almost like stock (problems free).

Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
This is good info! I've been looking for differences between 996TTs and 997TTs, but haven't found a list of changes. How is the fuel system different? I don't see a lot of people doing fuel mods on 997.1s unlike the common 5bar fpr and/or injectors on 996s.

John H
997.1 has dual fuel pumps stock vs 996 with single fuel pump stock.

997.1 stock pumps can support fuel flow rates for 83lbs injectors vs 60lbs OEM.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I agree with your comment on ease of increasing power. While a Gallardo TT is impressive, it's also an irreversible $100,000+ mod.

I edited your post. :-)

So at what point does the 997.1 need a fuel upgrade?

John H
Imo, anything larger than a vtg. Maybe even a 68 mm vtg may benefit from an injector upgrade.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:38 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
The best tunners will only garantee the power increase when sold as a kit. If you mix parts, they won't help you much if things don't work properply. When you mix parts, you are making a custom kit, and therefore to make it all work together properly you will need a alpha/custom tune. With the right parts and ecu tunner you can gain more HP than the available packages, but this normally will cost more and the risk to fail is also higher. I know this because i already had been in the market for it.
You must add to the upgrade list bigger IC's and piping. In the end you will spend +25k to be able to drive it almost like stock (problems free).
For the amount of money most tuners charge, you should be getting a completely custom tune for your car. I'm new to the P-Cars, but not new to the performance world having owned a turbo car since 1999.

In general I've found that the Porsche owners are probably the least savvy of any community I've run into knowledge wise about the cars. Before everyone goes and gets upset, I will quantify that statement by saying that generally Porsche owners care more about enjoying the car then they do working on it, and can afford to pay someone else to do it. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does drive up the prices of parts and service.

I'm not made of money, but I do want to upgrade my car. I just cringe at spending $5,000+ on an exhaust, and $3,000 for an off the shelf tune that is almost 100% profit. The comforting part of the equation is that the expectation bar with 997 turbo owners is a LOT higher than with other types of cars, and the parts available are generally a work of art in addition to being functional performance parts.

I can't complain too loudly, as I'm doing it myself - but I've noticed the trend consistently enough to feel that it's worth commenting on.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx

Originally Posted by TTdude
Imo, anything larger than a vtg. Maybe even a 68 mm vtg may benefit from an injector upgrade.
This is good info - depending on boost as well. There should be a known awhp limit to the stock injectors (since the pumps are good to go).

John H

Old 08-31-2011, 12:28 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Price of mods

I agree with Rix. Exhausts, headers and most of the hardware are seriously overpriced and result in ZERO additional value, in fact in most cases, potential buyers will shy away from modded cars that have "endured" major changes to the drive train (gearbox / engine combination). Additional stuff like roll cages and elimination of the rear seats are another major limitation when trying to sell a car.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Who cares if tuners guarantee the power? A certain combination of parts and tuning will give you XXX amount of hp regardless of if they were sold as a kit. With that high of hp, I'd think the tune would always be custom. Custom as in based on AFRs and ignition timing, not you tell them your mods via email and it's "custom". If all they offer is an off the shelf "custom" tune, any tune for 68mm VTGs should work for any car running 68mm VTGs. It doesn't matter if the car doesn't have that tuner's exhaust or not. All the other mods don't add up to anything besides maybe ICs. On that note, I think it's been documented that none of the expensive aftermarket ICs outperform stock 997.2 ICs in real world conditions.

John H

Last edited by John H.; 08-31-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
This is good info - depending on boost as well. There should be a known awhp limit to the stock injectors (since the pumps are good to go).
I'm referring to max boost, 1.55 bar on upgraded 63.5 mm vtgs. If you datalog your injector duty cycle, you'll see that there's not much more room to grow.

Originally Posted by rix
In general I've found that the Porsche owners are probably the least savvy of any community I've run into knowledge wise about the cars. Before everyone goes and gets upset, I will quantify that statement by saying that generally Porsche owners care more about enjoying the car then they do working on it, and can afford to pay someone else to do it. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does drive up the prices of parts and service.

I'm not made of money, but I do want to upgrade my car. I just cringe at spending $5,000+ on an exhaust, and $3,000 for an off the shelf tune that is almost 100% profit. The comforting part of the equation is that the expectation bar with 997 turbo owners is a LOT higher than with other types of cars, and the parts available are generally a work of art in addition to being functional performance parts.
Interesting. I find that it is just the opposite. The other forums have so much misinformation from people who think they know everything that it's like rummaging through a trash barge to find something worthwhile. As for prices, is a Louis Vuitton handbag worth $1000?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Who cares if tuners guarantee the power? A certain combination of parts and tuning will give you XXX amount of hp regardless of if they were sold as a kit. With that high of hp, I'd think the tune would always be custom. Custom as in based on AFRs and ignition timing, not you tell them your mods via email and it's "custom". If all they offer is an off the shelf "custom" tune, any tune for 68mm VTGs should work for any car running 68mm VTGs. It doesn't matter if the car doesn't have that tuner's exhaust or not. All the other mods don't add up to anything besides maybe ICs. On that note, I think it's been documented that none of the expensive aftermarket ICs outperform stock 997.2 ICs in real world conditions.

John H
I really understand your point and i also think the same, but go to the market and figure for yourself. With the custom exhaust and a custom tune made my a friend that only does ecu tunning for living, my car achieved 580hp, which is a bit higher of the packages exhaust+tune. Now, i'm thinking to buy 997.2 IC's because the oil temps under boost is a tad higher after the tune. If i ever decide to upgrade turbos, i will only trust the proven kits with a bunch of hours in R&D to choose the best parts and based in customers feedback. Keep in mind that EGT's will differ from exhaust to exhaust, same with IC's+piping.

As power garantee, i will never increase 50% without fully support from the tunner. If you know someone that can help you, with experience in ecu tunning and turbos upgrade on our cars, then you are a lucky bastard...

Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx

where is the second 997 fuel pump located in the car? I do not find it within PET or part list PDFs from porsche or with google
are they in line or parallel?

thanks a lot.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
Check out my build that will commence very soon my platform will be a bone stock 03 996 tt with 43k miles and i will only use one shop/tuner. The mods will start with a bone stock baseline dyno then install a ProEfi ecu with flex fuel capability and do another dyno to see the max capacity of the factory injectors and fuel line system. The tuner will then install an upgraded rods and raceware studs together with a pair of Precision 55/58,turbo kit, and add the necessary matching injectors and fuel pumps,lines,etc.. with the goal to produce a minimum of 800 to the wheels and upward of 1000. Budget will be around +/- $40k complete and tuned. Is this realistic? or pie in the sky? the shop is in NJ and everyone is invited to see the build in person. I need some constructive feedback/questions from the experts here.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by RS38
where is the second 997 fuel pump located in the car? I do not find it within PET or part list PDFs from porsche or with google
are they in line or parallel?

thanks a lot.
Both pumps in parallel in the sump.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 and 997.1 coming out as mod leaders