997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Stock regular mode/tuned sport function mode???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 PM
levrac68 is on a distinguished road
Stock regular mode/tuned sport function mode???

I posted this thread in the tune section first. Since I didn't get any help there, I moved it here. I'm in the market for a tune on my 09 911 Turbo. I would like a setup where my car maintains the stock settings in regular mode, but advances to the tune settings added to sport settings in sport mode. Is there a reputable company that has such a setup available. Tested and proven of course with the ability to flash all back to stock as needed.

TIA
Todd

Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
If I understand you correctly, only 2 companies offer this: GIAC and APR (anyone corrects me as needed). GIAC is most definitely "reputable," has been around a long time, and has a relatively large number of dealers. AWE Tuning is a dealer close to you, Champion Motorsport is another big gun; both are forum sponsors and both extremely reputable. The GIAC tune gives you four choices, at a push of button:
Stock
Stock Sport
GIAC
GIAC Sport

See the GIAC thread in my signature for details. Hope this helps.

Last edited by cannga; 08-28-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 PM
levrac68 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your reply...

I'm curious if anyone has their tune setup that way. I think it would be a great way to get the best of both worlds at the push of a button.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cannga
If I understand you correctly, only 2 companies offer this: GIAC and APR (anyone corrects me as needed).
levrac68 asked "setup where my car maintains the stock settings in regular mode, but advances to the tune settings added to sport settings in sport mode."

I don't believe GIAC does this?

John H

Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John H.
levrac68 asked "setup where my car maintains the stock settings in regular mode, but advances to the tune settings added to sport settings in sport mode."

John H
That is my understanding too. Stock on the flashloader is "similar" to OEM file but not "identical." But maybe the OP doesn't care about this difference.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:37 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John H.

John H
John, yes it does. The GIAC tune has a flash loader that allows you to switch between stock mode and tune mode. It is fantastic because it allows me to test stock vs. tune with respect to sound, smoothness of delivery, power at lower rpm, etc., as often as I like to.

TTdude, from my own subjective testing, the 2 modes do feel identical. Same maps so no reason to think otherwise, and if there is a difference, at this humble level , it's academic I would think.

One important reason that I switch to stock mode, is that my Cargraphic sounds the sweetest (warmest and best low frequency rumbling) in stock mode. Yeh that's how nutty I could get when it comes to sound.

Last edited by cannga; 08-31-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Pic of GIAC flash loader - the tune mode is under "Pump." BTW the reason I am sure the stock mode on GIAC feels the same as stock mode on a stock car is that I am one of those who are compulsive enough to keep my original ECU intact. I bought a second ECU and loaded the GIAC tune on it. As mentioned, for every subjective parameters that I have tested, they feel identical.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:46 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I'm sure they are indistinguisable by feel but the only reason I point this out is because other tuners, especially Softronic, emphasize the importance of having the "original" file in place when dealing with warranty issues. I agree, it's academic unless it does make a difference on warranty issues but that hasn't been clear either.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by TTdude
I'm sure they are indistinguisable by feel but the only reason I point this out is because other tuners, especially Softronic, emphasize the importance of having the "original" file in place when dealing with warranty issues. I agree, it's academic unless it does make a difference on warranty issues but that hasn't been clear either.
I remember that thread. Just wondering - what other tuners besides Softronic have gone on record emphasizing the importance of keeping original file, in particular to trick dealers for warranty purposes?

Anyway, for GIAC, to the best of my knowledge GIAC has never claimed that the standard mode is there for warranty issue. Not formally anyway.

I love to have stock mode - but I might be the only one on this planet with such desire. The comparisons of power delivery, sound, etc., are very interesting to me, and the exhaust sound is much preferreable in stock mode. Tune mode in both of the tunes that I 've tried (EVOMS and GIAC) is louder, has less low frequency rumbling (I LOVE this!), and takes on a stressful, high frequency oriented sound. I would not be surprised if this is true for *all* tunes as alterations are made to boost, stock AFR and timing. People just don't know it because rarely anyone could compare with just a push of a button, and rarely has it been tested by a golden-eared audiophile like me (kidding, or maybe, half kidding :-)).

Last edited by cannga; 08-31-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:20 PM
I remember that thread. Just wondering - what other tuners besides Softronic have gone on record emphasizing the importance of keeping original file, in particular to trick dealers for warranty purposes?

Anyway, for GIAC, to the best of my knowledge GIAC has never claimed that the standard mode is there for warranty issue. Not formally anyway.

I love to have stock mode - but I might be the only one on this planet with such desire. The comparisons of power delivery, sound, etc., are very interesting to me, and the exhaust sound is much preferreable in stock mode. Tune mode in both of the tunes that I 've tried (EVOMS and GIAC) is louder, has less low frequency rumbling (I LOVE this!), and takes on a stressful, high frequency oriented sound. I would not be surprised if this is true for *all* tunes as alterations are made to boost, stock AFR and timing. People just don't know it because rarely anyone could compare with just a push of a button, and rarely has it been tested by a golden-eared audiophile like me (kidding, or maybe, half kidding :-)).
Totally agree Can. I think we discussed this way back when about the exhaust note changing from stock tune and not necessarily for the better!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !

Having different modes adds spice to the driving experience imo plus why have the car set in its highest tune mode when you may be in a driving situation such as traffic when you have no use for the full force of the available power. The car is incredibly powerful anyway. I think having choice is great but in saying that if you didn't have sports mode it wouldn't be the end of the world so to speak. It's also good being able to flash back to stock when you want. I guess my tune doesn't have that immediate convenience of switching on the fly....bummer. Thats a nice feature of the GIAC and APR. I personally haven't experienced any adverse change in the exhaust note between the stock tune file and the tune file in either normal or sports modes. Maybe this is more noticeable with certain exhaust systems combined with different brand tunes. Protomotive doesn't appear to have this issue and FWIW I would rate myself as an audiophile as well.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
Having different modes adds spice to the driving experience imo plus why have the car set in its highest tune mode when you may be in a driving situation such as traffic when you have no use for the full force of the available power. The car is incredibly powerful anyway. I think having choice is great but in saying that if you didn't have sports mode it wouldn't be the end of the world so to speak. It's also good being able to flash back to stock when you want. I guess my tune doesn't have that immediate convenience of switching on the fly....bummer. Thats a nice feature of the GIAC and APR. I personally haven't experienced any adverse change in the exhaust note between the stock tune file and the tune file in either normal or sports modes. Maybe this is more noticeable with certain exhaust systems combined with different brand tunes. Protomotive doesn't appear to have this issue and FWIW I would rate myself as an audiophile as well.
It's really no big deal for a lot of people, but yes I do prefer stock mode at certain times, like end of day or in traffic. I also like to observe power delivery and how it affects my driving in twisty roads, where speed is lower and perhaps sometimes less power is better.

Re. sound change, possible that Protomotive doesn't change sound, but think of this: It's hard NOT to change the sound of en engine when you alter its combustion characteristics! Also watch out, the difference while very obvious if you have the ability to switch back and forth multiple times, could be subtle and easily missed *if* you can't repeatedly A/B test.

As an example (perhaps not a good one ) while EVOM change was obvious in my car, GIAC change was quite a bit more subtle and without the ability to immediate A/B switch, it would/could have fooled me. In other words, there might have been a change with Protomotive too but unless you do immediate A/B testing. you may not hear it with just a single switch with hours in between switch, even as a seasoned audiophile. I really should not make a big deal out of this; I am a particularly difficult listener. I don't want to scare people into not adding a tune. A majority of us probably don't care and don't understand what the hell I am harping on about. And lastly you are correct, I must emphasize that while the general trend *is* there, what other components you have in your cars matter.

Last edited by cannga; 08-31-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
It's really no big deal for a lot of people, but yes I do prefer stock mode at certain times, like end of day or in traffic. I also like to observe power delivery and how it affects my driving in twisty roads, where speed is lower and perhaps sometimes less power is better.

Re. sound change, possible that Protomotive doesn't change sound, but think of this: It's hard NOT to change the sound of en engine when you alter its combustion characteristics! Also watch out, the difference while very obvious if you have the ability to switch back and forth multiple times, could be subtle and easily missed *if* you can't repeatedly A/B test.

As an example (perhaps not a good one ) while EVOM change was obvious in my car, GIAC change was quite a bit more subtle and without the ability to immediate A/B switch, it would/could have fooled me. In other words, there might have been a change with Protomotive too but unless you do immediate A/B testing. you may not hear it with just a single switch with hours in between switch, even as a seasoned audiophile. I really should not make a big deal out of this; I am a particularly difficult listener. I don't want to scare people into not adding a tune. A majority of us probably don't care and don't understand what the hell I am harping on about. And lastly you are correct, I must emphasize that while the general trend *is* there, what other components you have in your cars matter.
Agree stock mode can be good at times plus having an exhaust system that actually makes power does wonders to the stock tune anyway. I recall running stock tune mode for ages after fitting EP1 and didn't have any urge to reload the Proto file for some time as the car was adequately fast...in both modes. Thats where i wish i had the switching on the fly. Having that would enable an accurate analysis on any exhaust note change (amongst other things) but to be honest with the proto file if there is any change in note it must be very very subtle. I'm sensitive to sound particularly annoying drone type sounds which as you know these turbos are so susceptible to.

Last edited by speed21; 08-31-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm not mistaken can't a dealer tell if your car has been chipped -- a difference in engine hours / ECU hours when compared with mileage or something?

I have yet to ever bother with a power upgrade on either my M3 or Turbo myself, it's always the suspension that pretty much sucks from the factory that I have to change

Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Respo is on a distinguished road
I had APR right now and I can change from stock to 93tune or 100tune and if you want valet parking mode ( can't rev over 3k rpm). You just change the setting by cruise control which is pretty easy to do.
You don't have to take ECU out at all just plug right in on OBD2.

The power compare stock mode and 93 tune is pretty crazy. I could smoke the tire with 3rd gear (cold tire tho) but you can see the different right away.

100 oct tuned I never had a change to tire it yet but I will test it sometime this month at Sebring

GIAC is also a good tune but I never tired them before.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock regular mode/tuned sport function mode???