997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cel - p0021

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:11 AM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
The actuator my tech had was for a 996(slightly different) so what we did was swap the actuator from the left to the right to see if the code follows the sesnsor. (P0011-P0021) There was no debris in the actuator holes so thats not the problem... The car is driving normal, but the light just popped back on- P0021-

Also going through his records on issues with other cars, he came across an issue he had a couple of years back with another TT ; that one had an issue with a sleeve on the cam that had rotated blocking the oil passages.

Last edited by salerno713; 10-01-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Swapping the actuator from left to right and test is part of the diagnostics that the dealer performs. If this does not solve the problem then it is a slipped CAM and needs to be replaced by dropping the engine.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
It's baaaaaack. The dreaded p2100 in durametric which is p0021. Damn. They had replaced the actuator in the spring. Presumably they will have to change the camshaft this time. It figures, I've got my annual track day on Sunday (it's not a race but a charity "lapping" event) and I still plan on doing it. Well at least my Dectane lights arrived today too so it's not a totally crappy day.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10-10-2011, 08:12 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
If you dont pin the cam. It will happen again

Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Todd mentioned pinning the cam, I don't know if that's something that Porsche does.

Anyways, I may have found another way of fixing the problem - drive the snot out of the car at the track! I went to the track and about half way through the day the cel was gone, and you could notice the performance improve around 3-4k rpm. I would turn the car on and off after each lapping session (3 to 4 laps at a time) and was surprised when the cel didn't come on after a while.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that the oil was changed last week. Perhaps I introduced a tiny amount of debris when I changed the oil and it clogged those small holes in the actuator. Then all the high pressure caused it to release? Just a thought, I don't have any other explanation. Let's see if and when it comes back...

Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM
clay5523 will become famous soon enoughclay5523 will become famous soon enough
On the schematic drawing posted, are the sensors also shown??

Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Todd mentioned pinning the cam, I don't know if that's something that Porsche does.

Anyways, I may have found another way of fixing the problem - drive the snot out of the car at the track! I went to the track and about half way through the day the cel was gone, and you could notice the performance improve around 3-4k rpm. I would turn the car on and off after each lapping session (3 to 4 laps at a time) and was surprised when the cel didn't come on after a while.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that the oil was changed last week. Perhaps I introduced a tiny amount of debris when I changed the oil and it clogged those small holes in the actuator. Then all the high pressure caused it to release? Just a thought, I don't have any other explanation. Let's see if and when it comes back...
Out here I've heard that fix quoted as being a lebanese tune up. i.e. just thrash the problem out of the engine. Personally i don't buy it.There is either a problem or there isn't. These things don't just fix themselves boggy.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Just caught up with this thread - scary. Best wishes to all affected! Now might be a good time to figure out what else, if anything, you want to have done if your motor needs to be disassembled. Good luck to all,

Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Just caught up with this thread - scary. Best wishes to all affected! Now might be a good time to figure out what else, if anything, you want to have done if your motor needs to be disassembled. Good luck to all,
Perhaps you can answer this as you are going thru a build on your car - has most of the labour work involved in a build (head studs, rods, gaskets) been done by the time the engine has been disassembled enough for camshaft change or is there much more work involved beyond that point? So far I haven't been able to determine the answer so if anyone has some input I'd appreciate it.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
Out here I've heard that fix quoted as being a lebanese tune up. i.e. just thrash the problem out of the engine. Personally i don't buy it.There is either a problem or there isn't. These things don't just fix themselves boggy.
lol. I agree Paul, just haven't figured out why the cel went away. Presumably it will be back and then I'll figure out what to do....

Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Perhaps you can answer this as you are going thru a build on your car - has most of the labour work involved in a build (head studs, rods, gaskets) been done by the time the engine has been disassembled enough for camshaft change or is there much more work involved beyond that point? So far I haven't been able to determine the answer so if anyone has some input I'd appreciate it.
I am meeting with my motorman tomorrow and will ask. His considered opinion is much more valuable than whatever I might think tonight.......Stay tuned......

Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
I am meeting with my motorman tomorrow and will ask. His considered opinion is much more valuable than whatever I might think tonight.......Stay tuned......
My motorman indicates there is quite a bit of additional work that needs to be done once the motor is dropped and the cams exposed in order to install new rods and whatnot. Probably something in the neighborhood of 25 hours +/- He advises checking with your local builder to get his estimate. Hope that helps,

Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
We fixed cam under warranty . Then tore motor down few months later and found new cam spun again. Thats when we decided to pin cams. if anyone needs pins. i have extras you can have for free

Old 10-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by edelectra
We fixed cam under warranty . Then tore motor down few months later and found new cam spun again. Thats when we decided to pin cams. if anyone needs pins. i have extras you can have for free
PM sent

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cel - p0021