997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

HELP! My GT2RS ICs don't fit in my 997.1tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
unterdruck is just really niceunterdruck is just really niceunterdruck is just really niceunterdruck is just really nice
For what is worth, this is a GT2RS intercooler in 997.1 ducts with the OEM clips snapping together. Just another option.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3185.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	205874  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by unterdruck
For what is worth, this is a GT2RS intercooler in 997.1 ducts with the OEM clips snapping together. Just another option.
wow that works well. why doesn't everyone just do this?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:12 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aa909
wow that works well. why doesn't everyone just do this?
This! Why?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Unterduck, just wanted to get to the bottom of this one if you don't mind.

When my car was recently in for the 4 year major service I had Porsche do the install of my .2ttrs coolers. As normally i would have done the job myself I made a point of putting my nose in to see exactly what was entailed given there had been a report from Drvik that the outlets on the new coolers were a touch larger requiring minor packing.

From what I and the P techs saw it was impossible to use the existing .1tt ducting without the use of cable ties on one side of each cooler, along with a bit of trimming on the inside edges...which most are already familiar with. The other side of each cooler however was able to utilize the tabs as your photo appears to show.

Are you able to provide photos of both sides of the cooler to prove you do not need to use cable ties at all?

I assume the photo you show is of the side that doesn't need the ties. Just wanted to clear this up for the members and others out there so everyone knows exactly what can and can't be achieved using the stock .1tt ducting with the .2ttrs coolers.
TIA.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 AM
unterdruck is just really niceunterdruck is just really niceunterdruck is just really niceunterdruck is just really nice
Sorry I don't have a picture of the other side OEM clips, but I assure you they are hooked together. I have attached a photo of the completed assembly from a different angle and I have attached some photos of the shrouds as modified.

The real key to doing it this way was to make a modification to several tabs on the edge of the GT2RS coolers. There is a photo attached and highlighted with red rectangles around the area of the tabs referred to. These tabs either need to be removed or bent over 180 degrees. Doing so makes the coolers the same thickness as the originals in the area where the clips will be hooked together. The shrouds themselves then need to be modified to fit down and over the thicker end tanks and such.

I chose to bend the tabs over. This creates a nice rounded edge area for the shrouds to sit against. I then used a bead of silicon along all the edges of the shrouds on the top side to seal them. It took about three hours to do the first side while I slowly removed material and test fitted. The second side took only an hour because you know where to go.

I have more photos and information to share. I'll just do a write-up and submit for the DIY section.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3186.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	212274   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3177.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	212275   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3178.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	212276   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3179.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	212277   Click image for larger version

Name:	sideview.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	212279  

Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM
clay5523 will become famous soon enoughclay5523 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tiago
Strange... on my car i only had to shave the outlet scoops because the gt2rs is a bit larger and fixed with zip ties. Other than that was a direct fit.
Plus 1

Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Sorry I don't have a picture of the other side OEM clips, but I assure you they are hooked together. I have attached a photo of the completed assembly from a different angle and I have attached some photos of the shrouds as modified.

The real key to doing it this way was to make a modification to several tabs on the edge of the GT2RS coolers. There is a photo attached and highlighted with red rectangles around the area of the tabs referred to. These tabs either need to be removed or bent over 180 degrees. Doing so makes the coolers the same thickness as the originals in the area where the clips will be hooked together. The shrouds themselves then need to be modified to fit down and over the thicker end tanks and such.

I chose to bend the tabs over. This creates a nice rounded edge area for the shrouds to sit against. I then used a bead of silicon along all the edges of the shrouds on the top side to seal them. It took about three hours to do the first side while I slowly removed material and test fitted. The second side took only an hour because you know where to go.

I have more photos and information to share. I'll just do a write-up and submit for the DIY section.

Thanks
This is great information unterdruck and really appreciate you posting up the details. It appears this I/C install has now seen some "evolution" . Both install procedures are effective however your's eliminates the need for the cable ties on the one side and also removes the trimming procedure. Very good thinking! Kudos and reps to you!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Franc01 has a spectacular aura aboutFranc01 has a spectacular aura about
Hi, reviving this old thread to see if anyone has experience with grinding or dremeling these tabs off the 997.2 intercoolers to better fit the 997.1 ducts?

Thanks,
Franc

Old 04-09-2015, 10:59 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mat911
A member asked if anyone used the 997.2 ducts, and since I have done just that, I shared my experience and view. If you are happy with you zip ties it's ok by me, but you should refrain from judging others who don't like the zip ties and prefer a stock like solution.
Ok?
After trimming the 997.1 ducts one can also trim the oem clips to reach around with a sharp knife. No need for zip ties, and no need to spend $ on 997.2 ducts.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:44 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
Has anyone tried replacing the ducts with 997.2 ducts so there is no cutting/zip ties required? I'm interested in this topic, as I don't really like the idea of using a zip tie on a $150,000 car to hold intercooler parts... All the threads seem to tiptoe around that.

I didn't and didn't use them. I did cut up existing duct though.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...installed.html

I did spend a lot of time evaluating the change of vertical and horizontal offset though.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:06 AM
TxTurboBill has a spectacular aura aboutTxTurboBill has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mat911
I didn't like the idea using zip ties or straps or whatever, to hold the upper and lower ducts together so I used the 997.2 ducts with the 997.2 coolers. New coolers&ducts fit perfectly to existing metal frame, and the result is stock 100%.
Of course I had to pay for the 997.2 ducts, which weren't cheap....

p.s. GTRS and 997.2 coolers are the same, BUT the ducts are different so for the 997.1 the 997.2 ducts should be used.
I have the 997.2 ducts and intercoolers on order. My question is regarding the hose to the turbo. 997.1 has a different part number than 997.2 hose. Did you go with 997.2 hoses as well?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:54 PM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
Not to revisit the zip tie argument but I spent some time in a garage that had 2 Mclaren f1 Gtr’s that have been raced all of their life. Half the car was held together by beefy zip ties...

Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TxTurboBill

I have the 997.2 ducts and intercoolers on order. My question is regarding the hose to the turbo. 997.1 has a different part number than 997.2 hose. Did you go with 997.2 hoses as well?

Bill, I just wanted to cheer you on. Love what you're doing.

When I put 997.2 intercoolers on my car I was able to re-use 997.1 hoses. The connectors are (mostly) the same. I suffer from CRSD (Can't Remember "Stuff" disorder) so some of the finer parts may have been forgotten. One thing I do remember is that the 997.2 ductwork wasn't cheap. Hopefully the prices on that have come down!
Looks like we're in the the same general neighborhood, see you around.

Last edited by rix; 12-03-2018 at 02:12 AM. Reason: GrammAr
Old 12-03-2018, 06:51 AM
TxTurboBill has a spectacular aura aboutTxTurboBill has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rix
Bill, I just wanted to cheer you on. Love what you're doing.

When I put 997.2 intercoolers on my car I was able to re-use 997.1 hoses. The connectors are (mostly) the same. I suffer from CRSD (Can't Remember "Stuff" disorder) so some of the finer parts may have been forgotten. One thing I do remember is that the 997.2 ductwork wasn't cheap. Hopefully the prices on that have come down!
Looks like we're in the the same general neighborhood, see you around.
The electrical side of my business uses a lot of zip ties and I have seen them get brittle and fail with age especially in heat cycle and vibration environments so I can’t go that route. No, the ducts have not come down in price but so far all of my mods are reversible in case I go back to stock so I justified the cost based on selling the 997.2 ICs and ducts (along with all other mod parts) if and when I do sell my car. I really enjoyed the thread on your build and hope to see your car and meet you at a local gathering some day.