997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Spoiler leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
avh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to all
can someone please post a link for the bleeding procedure of the hydraulics. thanx in advance

Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 PM
otis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to beholdotis is a splendid one to behold
When mine goes I'm definitely going with a nice fixed wing.

Otis

Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Unfortunately it looks like the 997T is affected by spoiler leaks as well. It seems Porsche didn't address many common issues between the two cars. Namely clutch hydraulics and spoiler Hydraulics. As far as I can tell nobody has a permanent fix. I do suggest you look up this issue on the 996 turbo site as it seems all cars will eventually be affected. I've had the entire assembly replaced TWICE under warranty. Alas I no longer have a warranty, but as least I have some brand new hydraulics.

If you are in the Los Angeles area I suggest you look up Speed Gallery. I beleive they have successfully recharged these units in the past. It's not a permanent fix, but it will last a couple years.

If you're doing this yourself, remember that

1. pentosin is very corrosive to paint
2. There is spring inside the system that is VERY COMPRESSED and will blow apart the parts when you're taking it apart. It can HURT YOU and lose parts as they get thrown around. BE VERY CAREFUL.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-03-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Mine leaked and was covered under cpo. Dealer order a whole new unit. Getting the wing off was not easy as the deal had to inflate a rubber donut to get the wing off to change the hydraulics. Retail cost for the fix was 2k. Covered under warranty. Also covered under warranty transmission, front wheel bearing, rear boot-lid fan failure, cam position sensor, and front turn signal. If not for cpo warranty I would have been on the hook for 30k.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
just like the 996tt, about 4-5 years in they go out, many fix-it threads on 996tt forum, I did it with mine...pita and messy, but can be done

Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by bbywu
If the spoiler hydraulics are leaking, there is a procedure to bleed and purge the system with Pentosin. It is a PITA. The real question is why the system is leaking. Is there damage to the hydraulic tubing, or a bolt on the hydraulic lifter that coming loose?

The 911 turbo looks so much sportier with the spoiler raised that 2". Would like to raise it for city driving just for looks. However, looks like these spoiler pumps, etc are coming apart with too much up/down with the spoiler use. This says don't use which is a shame.
Big question: is there any way to lock the spoiler in the 'up-position"? This way one would get the looks without the hassle of leaks and big expense. I suppose when you turn off the engine after having the spoiler up with the switch, the spoiler stays up under pressure. I guess with this issue, it is best to be sure lower the spoiler to down position to avoid the pump sitting overnite while still under pressure. Would you agree?? Second big question: once all the oil is leaked out is that it, or is oil fed in from another reservoir??

Last edited by johnww; 05-02-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I've never tried it, and don't own a 997TT any more. But, I suppose you could use Durametric to deactivate the wing once you deploy the wing.

However, when the wing is in the deployed position, the pressure inside the hydraulics is high. It could theoretically increase the risk of leaking.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:35 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
I've never tried it, and don't own a 997TT any more. But, I suppose you could use Durametric to deactivate the wing once you deploy the wing.

However, when the wing is in the deployed position, the pressure inside the hydraulics is high. It could theoretically increase the risk of leaking.
First, reading thru all replies above, looks like the hydraulics for the rear wing stand alone, that is, not shared with other pumps etc. like I believe the clutch slave does.
If that is case can the wing be supported in the open position by drilling a small hole into both pipes to stop the spoiler from returning to the down position?? In other words, just let the oil leak itself out if it is contained only within the wing pump itself.

When you say Durametric, I guess you are referring to some software to keep flipper up, I was considering manually with a pin-support locking the expensive thing in the upper position and bypass all these costly parts and dealership time.....just let the system bleed down to zero oil as long as it bleeds only itself. The spoiler looks a bit stupid anyway in down position compared to up position.

Last edited by johnww; 05-03-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:14 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
First, reading thru all replies above, looks like the hydraulics for the rear wing stand alone, that is, not shared with other pumps etc. like I believe the clutch slave does.
This is correct. The pump unit is stand alone, not shared with steering, braking, or any other hydraulic system.

If that is case can the wing be supported in the open position by drilling a small hole into both pipes to stop the spoiler from returning to the down position?? In other words, just let the oil leak itself out if it is contained only within the wing pump itself.
John, if you disassemble the hydraulic actuator, you'll find a very heavy spring mechanism that pushes the spoiler upward in conjunction with the hydraulic fluid. While your idea sounds like it would work, if you completely unbolt the hydraulic line form the actuator, it's default position is down not up. You'd think with the spring it would be forced upwards.

This is from the 996TT, but it is almost the same:

When you say Durametric, I guess you are referring to some software to keep flipper up
Durametric can program delete the wing detection software. It is the programming necessary to tell the car it is a GT2 and not a turbo...GT2's fixed wing can be installed on a turbo, and then the car can be programmed to think it doesn't have a rear wing, so it doesn't activate the wing at 72 mph and give you a warning. On the 996TT, there was a wiring harness you could plug in to keep the electronics thinking a wing was still in place when in fact you had removed it.

I was suggesting (although I haven't tried it) that you could deploy the spoiler, then trick the car into thinking it doesn't have a wing.

I was considering manually with a pin-support locking the expensive thing in the upper position and bypass all these costly parts and dealership time.....just let the system bleed down to zero oil as long as it bleeds only itself. The spoiler looks a bit stupid anyway in down position compared to up position.
Like this?

Attached Images   

Last edited by bbywu; 05-03-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:17 AM
There is a company that rebuilds these hydraulics - I can not vouch for them as I have never used them. They do the repair on 996TTs, but it is essentially the same.

http://cabriolethydraulics.com/porsche-carrera-hydraulics.php

Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM
There is a company that rebuilds these hydraulics - I can not vouch for them as I have never used them. They do the repair on 996TTs, but it is essentially the same.

http://cabriolethydraulics.com/porsc...hydraulics.php
I do not want to make the idiot up/down rear-wing mechanism work anyway. Looks 100% better in up position. I thought thru the pipe at its base(wing up), could drill a 1/16' hole thru and out the opposite side and place a cotter pin like solid bar into the hole to hold up the wing, then pull the fuse that operates the silly pump.
Interesting the GT2 wing is fixed. I guess that tube-light flat-bracket is from a GT2 wing shown above? If so, these brackets should be available at porsche. I would assume GT2 wing support pipes and turbo support pipes are same diameter. These brackets, however, would need some drilling (3 each) into the cars metal, whereas my idea with the cotter pin like solid pin would require only drilling the tubes in current wing-posts which sounds a bit easier. I guess key question still remaining is, is there a fuse just for the wing up/down??

Last edited by johnww; 05-03-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future

http://cabriolethydraulics.com/porsc...hydraulics.php

Yeah, going through the company above is around $1000. Porsche dealership quoted me $2300 to replace.

My wing is now permanently fixed and I'm happy. That was much more reasonable. You can have the code cleared at the dealership (make your car think it's a GT2)

Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 AM
I do not want to make the idiot up/down rear-wing mechanism work anyway. Looks 100% better in up position. I thought thru the pipe at its base(wing up), could drill a 1/16' hole thru and out the opposite side and place a cotter pin like solid bar into the hole to hold up the wing, then pull the fuse that operates the silly pump.
Interesting the GT2 wing is fixed. I guess that tube-light flat-bracket is from a GT2 wing shown above? If so, these brackets should be available at porsche. I would assume GT2 and turbo pipes holding wing are same diameter. These brackets, however, would need some drilling into the cars metal, whereas my idea with the cotter pin would require only drilling the tubes in current wing-posts which sounds a bit easier.
John, the GT2 wing is a completely different design. It's a fixed carbon upright:

The uprights I posed were fabricated by a former sponsor from this site.

Not sure about the fuse - according to the fuse panel map, there is no specific fuse for the wing. I think it is tied into the other rear components (lights, turn signals, brake light, etc.) I'd just program the wing out with Durametric.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	my07_fuses_1-1.png
Views:	5009
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	238876  
Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 05-03-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Yeah, going through the company above is around $1000. Porsche dealership quoted me $2300 to replace.

My wing is now permanently fixed and I'm happy. That was much more reasonable. You can have the code cleared at the dealership (make your car think it's a GT2)
***You say wing is fixed....how did you do that??

Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by DrVolkl

I think the refurbished kit they sell are with upgraded components preventing repeat leaking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spoiler leak