997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Spoiler leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:00 PM
montreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Spoiler leak

Hi guys.

Just noticed that there's a little drip on oil on my rear bumper. When I opened the rear hood to take a look I noticed that there seems to be a leak coming from the left side of the Wing. Is this actually fixable or do we need to change the part.

For those who took care of this before, could you tell me what the cost was please?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
If the spoiler hydraulics are leaking, there is a procedure to bleed and purge the system with Pentosin. It is a PITA. The real question is why the system is leaking. Is there damage to the hydraulic tubing, or a bolt on the hydraulic lifter that coming loose?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 PM
montreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
If the spoiler hydraulics are leaking, there is a procedure to bleed and purge the system with Pentosin. It is a PITA. The real question is why the system is leaking. Is there damage to the hydraulic tubing, or a bolt on the hydraulic lifter that coming loose?
What do you suggest i do?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Your car is a 2007, so I am assuming it is out of warranty? If it is under an extended warranty, I'd have the dealer look at it.

As long as your spoiler is raising and lowering the wing evenly, you should be okay for now. However, the more you use it, the faster it will leak.

I am making a big assumption that the leak is actually the coming from the wing system. It could always be something else.

First, remove the caps that are on the end of the hydraulic pistons. Check for oil in the end caps. You can use a socket wrench and gently tighten each bolt and see if the leaking stops.

Similarly, you can use a torx driver and loosen the bolts holding the pump under the rear deck. Using a socket, you can try and tighten each of those bolts gently. If you do a search, I have actually listed the torque needed for each bolt.

If your wing is not deploying evenly, well, then you need to bleed the system. It is a very complex process that I doubt I will be able to talk you through.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM
997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute
if I remember well some people have mentionned they had "fixed" that by switching to thicker oil instead of pentosin.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 PM
To switch to a thicker oil, requires bleeding the system.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM
So I just went to try and tighten the bolts and the wing refused to rise. And said failure on the dashboard I guess I have to head to the dealer now Any idea on how much this should cost?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:54 PM
You have a few choices.

Choice 1. Use Durametric or PIWIS and deactivate the wing. It won't go up, but it won't set off CELs any more. This is by far the least expensive solution.

Choice 2. Replace the entire drive mechanism - pump, wiring, 2 hydraulic piston hinges. Retails $2100. Complete setup part number 99751211102. Add the cost of labor, this is the most expensive option.

Choice 3. You (or indy or dealer) try to bleed and purge the system, looking for the leak. If no leak is found, could have been a loose hydraulic sealing bolt. You always run the chance of leaking again.

Choice 4. Look on eBay for a used spoiler/decklid, with an intact spoiler mechanism system. Remove it (without opening any of the hydraulic tubing) and do a complete swap. Probably do-able for about $1500.

Things to know.

1. The parts to the entire drive mechanism (pump, hydraulic plumbing, hydraulic hinges, bolts, wiring) is available as a complete unit, or as individual parts. If your dealership tells you otherwise, they are mistaken.

2. The hydraulic system can be bled and purged. There is a specific procedure for this that can be found in the electronic PIWIS work service manual. If they tell you the entire system needs to be replaced because it is sealed and can't be purged, they are mistaken.

Last edited by bbywu; 06-20-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
If you were in my area, I'd do it for you and give it a try - I had to go through this in my former 997TT. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
A timely thread - I noticed a small amount of fluid from the right side after I installed the Cargraphic spoiler blade (don't know if it was there before). I'll try to tighten the bolts. Otherwise it's off to the dealer - still have cpo warranty for another 8 months. My cpo was a good investment as there have been a few costly issues since the regular warranty ran out.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:11 PM
They may tell you the added weight of the Cargraphic wing caused the failure - some dealerships have done this. If not, get them to replace the system. It is very very costly.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I noticed the fluid right after I put on the wing (literally, at install) so it was likely there in the first place. I'll put the stock wing back on anyway when I take it in.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Dealer says replace. At least thats what I was told today when i noticed a small leak. Warranty for me though.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:35 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I did the bleed thing, very much a pia.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Always a 5th option. Disable and upgrade to fixed wing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spoiler leak