997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Spoiler leak

Old 05-03-2013, 11:00 AM
montreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
There is a company that rebuilds these hydraulics - I can not vouch for them as I have never used them. They do the repair on 996TTs, but it is essentially the same.

http://cabriolethydraulics.com/porsc...hydraulics.php

Anyone ever replaced their wing with this company?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I've never tried it, and don't own a 997TT any more. But, I suppose you could use Durametric to deactivate the wing once you deploy the wing.

However, when the wing is in the deployed position, the pressure inside the hydraulics is high. It could theoretically increase the risk of leaking.
Bob sorry I think I asked you this before: Is this the Durametric set I should buy, the $347 enthusiast package? This should have all the important features? http://www.durametric.com/content/20...997-turbo.aspx
I don't plan to use this on any other car, just my Turbo.

It's relatively simple to use Durametric to do things, like keeping wing fixed in up position? I won't accidentally disable the whole car or something like that? :-)

Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Can, I think you need the Pro version to do actual coding changes.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by johnww
***You say wing is fixed....how did you do that??
Sorry, meant to say it's "permanently in a fixed position".

I removed all the hardware and installed the fixed posts from ebworks. google them or search 6speed. $150 or so and you're good to go, plus you can choose about 3 different levels for the spoiler.

You then have to have your ECU flashed to make your car think it's a GT2 or you'll get a warning message whenever you go over 75mph.

I wasn't about to shell out $2300 for the wing to go up and down... not at this point anyhow. Especially for a system that will basically fail every 4-5 years.

Not sure about the rebuild company, but it's out there... much more reasonable at ~$1000 but still not something I wanted to bother with.

system removed...

Good luck! Here's my wing in it's permanent position (which is actually one of the lowest, which imo was perfect for the aftermarket wing):

Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2013, 11:23 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by cannga
Bob sorry I think I asked you this before: Is this the Durametric set I should buy, the $347 enthusiast package? This should have all the important features? http://www.durametric.com/content/20...997-turbo.aspx
I don't plan to use this on any other car, just my Turbo.

It's relatively simple to use Durametric to do things, like keeping wing fixed in up position? I won't accidentally disable the whole car or something like that? :-)

But from what I gather above, Durametric settings is not the way to keep wing up in fixed position because full pressure will always be there which will lead to leaks. There has to be a mechanical means to keep the wing fixed in the up position with pumps off so no lingering pressure is present to get leaks started.

Last edited by johnww; 05-03-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The struts that DrVolkl used are not hydraulic.

He removed the hydraulics, actuators, tubing, then installed ebwerks fixed struts. Once the wing is in a fixed position, he prevented CELs by turning off the wing using Durametric or PIWIS.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Can, I think you need the Pro version to do actual coding changes.
Bob, OT: would this also turn off "CD Changer Not Available" from my MoBridge bluetooth/Ipod kit install? 2 dealers in Southern Cal have not been able to turn of this warning in my car.

John: Yes I saw your & Bob's discussion regarding internal pressure. I am *not* sure myself but if this is same principle as any other damper: the fluid is there to dampen the motion of the spring (prevent the wing from going ka-boong instant up when you push that button) and not to support any single position. This fluid is very much *not* compressible, so in any position the fluid would have to escape from front to back of piston, or somewhere, and vice versa. In other words, I am not 100% sure but think either position would have same pressure.
Our cars' coolant leak has made us so much more leery about Porsche leaks, hasn't it?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
drVolki.....appreciated the photos. Looks like you're saying one can't use the factory wing via the eworks system. Sure looks complicated, it is not simply replacing wing. You gotta replace tubes that are attached to wing...did you just cut and plug hydraulic lines?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by cannga
Bob, OT: would this also turn off "CD Changer Not Available" from my MoBridge bluetooth/Ipod kit install? 2 dealers in Southern Cal have not been able to turn of this warning in my car.

John: Yes I saw your & Bob's discussion regarding internal pressure. I am *not* sure myself but if this is same principle as any other damper: the fluid is there to dampen the motion of the spring (prevent the wing from going ka-boong instant up when you push that button) and not to support any single position. This fluid is very much *not* compressible, so in any position the fluid would have to escape from front to back of piston, or somewhere, and vice versa. In other words, I am not 100% sure but think either position would have same pressure.
Our cars' coolant leak has made us so much more leery about Porsche leaks, hasn't it?
Just sent you a PM.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Our cars' coolant leak has made us so much more leery about Porsche leaks, hasn't it?[/QUOTE]
Don't forget to include the infamous 'slave leak" that occurs just out of warranty. Porsche has got a bunch of headache leak issues, but the coolant is the biggest money maker (when engine pull required)out of warranty.

Last edited by johnww; 05-03-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:02 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by johnww
drVolki.....appreciated the photos. Looks like you're saying one can't use the factory wing via the eworks system. Sure looks complicated, it is not simply replacing wing. You gotta replace tubes that are attached to wing...did you just cut and plug hydraulic lines?
Not saying that at all. You can use your stock wing and have it in the down position, up position or somewhere in between or even higher than stock.

The stock hydraulic system looks complicated but is easy to remove. I work on my own car a lot, but "I'm a Dr Jim, not a Porsche mechanic!"

The most complicated tool is your spoiler wrench... that costs about $90. You need that to unscrew the stock wing. After that, if you go the ebworks post route, you won't need it ever again.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
"I'm a Dr Jim, and I'm also a Porsche mechanic!"
fixed

Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Hopefully Bob wont mind me posting this... I got it from another thread....

Draft beer faucet wrench works. Super cheap too ~$4.

http://morebeer.com/products/faucet-...html?site_id=7

Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Not saying that at all. You can use your stock wing and have it in the down position, up position or somewhere in between or even higher than stock.

The stock hydraulic system looks complicated but is easy to remove. I work on my own car a lot, but "I'm a Dr Jim, not a Porsche mechanic!"

The most complicated tool is your spoiler wrench... that costs about $90. You need that to unscrew the stock wing. After that, if you go the ebworks post route, you won't need it ever again.
Your ebworks threw me, but threw google too, which surprised me, because the google usually picks up on different spells.
However, ebwerks gives very little on their products on their webpage, but was very helpful via email, providing a phone # for installation questions, but too have full instructions on way. Product sounds like winner. Just happy to get rid of this infernal leakage/worry/expensive issue with the rear wing. The parts use factory wing and same factory height setting which are great features as well.

Last edited by johnww; 05-03-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Hopefully Bob wont mind me posting this... I got it from another thread....

Draft beer faucet wrench works. Super cheap too ~$4.

http://morebeer.com/products/faucet-...html?site_id=7
That right there is awesome... as long as it works! Huh... go figure.. Porsche engineers using a draft beer wrench for the spoiler. I have to imagine that was somehow planned. lol

Yeah, ebworks guy was super helpful to me as well. I looked into the refurbish and they were nice and helpful too. I just think the design is flawed, and for $2300 I'd rather buy something else right now. After I went with an aftermarket wing, I really didn't care if it went up or down, I just picked the position I preferred best and left it there. One less thing to worry about. Oh, and the weight savings off the back of the car?! Priceless. (I know it's negligible but every bit counts )

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spoiler leak