997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GMG springs and sways - my impressions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
GMG springs and sways - my impressions.

My first impression was just very slight disappointment that the car wasn't just a tiny bit lower (smaller space visible at wheelwell) but that went away the first time I pulled out of my driveway, even going slowly. Now I have to go REALLY slowly and angle out in order to avoid scraping the front.

On further reflection, the cosmetic result is very nice with just a small gap between the tires and the fenders. I have 7 and 15mm spacers which enhance the appearance. The front has -1 and the rear -2 camber iirc. When I stand next to the car or get into it I can even tell that it's been lowered even though it's only an inch.

As I drove home from the shop I was amazed at how well the car handled road imperfections. It was actually smoother than stock. When I first bought the car I had the opportunity of driving another 6speeders car with H&R lowering springs on it. Just driving up and down the street I could appreciate a lot more "slap" going over road imperfections and so I didn't end up getting a set even though the cosmetic result was very nice.

Over the next day or 2 the car seemed to "settle" a bit so there was a little more road feel but I can't say if it is much different from stock road noise. I recall it being less bothersome than the H&Rs but I wouldn't bet money on it.

I took an off-ramp at moderate speed and zoomed through the intersection sharply on the left hand turn and wow, there is NO roll at all. This corners like it's on rails!!!! Another bonus is that when I turn on sport mode I no longer have to instinctively turn off the stiff setting on pasm. The sport mode is actually useable on most of the roads here, unlike the stock suspension.

I don't know how much of the handling difference is a result of the sways vs the springs (and probably the alignment too) b/c I put both on at the same time but I'd definitely consider this a worthwhile upgrade even if the car wasn't going to be tracked much. I go to the track at least once a year and really look forward to it with the upgraded suspension. I can see the appeal of suspension upgrades to track guys just like power upgrades to acceleration junkies like me! I don't know what dogbones or links add to the handling but I'm quite satisfied with the way things are now and don't have any plans for more changes to the suspension. But I will get bigger turbos at some point, lol.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I found the same result as you with PASM on stiff, I use it 95% of the time. Dog bones and link kit is a must, I did those (RSS parts which I recommend) after the springs and sways and found it made as much of an improvement overall with a tighter rear and sharper feedback.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:31 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmoney
I found the same result as you with PASM on stiff, I use it 95% of the time. Dog bones and link kit is a must, I did those (RSS parts which I recommend) after the springs and sways and found it made as much of an improvement overall with a tighter rear and sharper feedback.
I have the dog bones / toe links on my car as well (GMG stuff).

Night and day difference from stock handling and as Bogg said, with PASM off it handles better than stock, with PASM is on it is sharper but without rattling your teeth out.

As far as ride height is concerned, you wouldnt really want to lower the car any more than 1" if you want to drive on the street. I scrape my front lip every day and I keep a new one in the garage fo when I get tired of how beat up my current lip is

Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
6Speeders thanks for the feedback on the springs and sway bars.

The springs are matched to the dampers and making them any lower would have a negative effect on the life of the stock damper.

We also make all the suspension components such as dog bones- thrust arm bushings, bump and toe steer kits, adjustable thrust arms which we test ever weekend on our World Challenge Race Cars.

Feel free to drop me a email or call the shop if you need any other components happy to help out any 6speeders anytime.