997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Plug Change - Colder or OEM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Spatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to behold
Plug Change - Colder or OEM

So Im at 48,000km and about to do a plug change. I have read on here to go with colder plugs since I have an EP1 and Softronic tune. I don't have any problems with the stock plugs as of now. Should I go to a colder plug or just keep going with stock?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
If the tuner recommends colder plugs, is there any reason not to take their advice?

How does your oem plugs look btw?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Spatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to behold
I am not sure the Tuner recommended colder plugs... The colder plugs seem to be from others on this forum. Just looking for some clarification as to when you might need to go to colder plugs? Do you wait for problems to arise or is this just a standard practice?

Originally Posted by xbox_fan
If the tuner recommends colder plugs, is there any reason not to take their advice?

How does your oem plugs look btw?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, I got this from a mail convo with Vividracing

"*Also spark plugs might need to updated to the 1 step colder ones. "

I dont know if there is any negative side effects of this change but I would prob change to colder ones if tuned.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Can anyone else chime in - I am wondering about the potential negatives to going to one step colder than oem plugs. I would hate to cause issues and have to re install the oem plugs if I made the wrong decision. Or is this a generally safe bet and shouldn't present any problems?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Use oem plugs, gapped to what your tuner recommends - which should differ than the factory gap. This has proven to be just fine with a flash and small bolt on mods. When you swap the turbos out, different story.

I change mine every 15,000m and have not noticed any issues towards the end of the plug life which is shorter with a tune obviously.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 AM
MJA
MJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really nice
I have a softronic flash and went 1 step colder, I had to change those plugs with 11k on them. I was told its just part of having a tuned car...

Old 08-13-2012, 12:18 PM
the missfire thread in this section seem to conclude that under 650hp one can stay with the stock plugs...

Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 PM
I think for now i will stick with OEM plugs and see how it goes... 615hp is plenty and I really have no aspirations of pushing this further.

Thanks for the feedback.