997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2007 turbo coming apart, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
2007 turbo coming apart, need suggestions

These turbos are fun to drive, but is no wonder value drops so steeply with miles/years. After factory warranty, these cars seem to decompose slowly, more so than my previous M3s.
Bought '07turbo new, and now with 54K miles of only street driving, just blew a 2"coolant return hose connected to turbo which can be replaced only with engine drop which allowed all such hoses to be replaced at $3K. Clutch too for an additional $2K. This critical 2-inch connecting hose was not covered by EasyCare extended warranty, but factory rep said would have been if still under factory warranty. With engine out, found leaky heat exchanger (covered $1.5K) and both front wheel boots busted (covered $2K, replaced boots/axles). Slave replaced (covered). Are there anymore mechanical-failure-issues that need to be checked?? My extended Warranty policy is soon to expire. What other problems have 6speeders had with their over 40-50Kmile 997.1/.2 turbos that I should have my tech check out?? Appreciate any ideas.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 AM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear about your problems! But looks like the EasyCare covered more than $3.5K of work. Seems good! Is it a good warranty in your experience? My CPO runs out August 13 and I've got 30K on my 07. You got me worried! I've been thinking of getting an extended warranty myself. Any advice is much appreciated.

To put it in perspective, your turbo is an M3 killer that can be daily driven. Some expensive work at 50K miles isn't so bad. I had an SL65 that broke down monthly with less than 30K miles on it, and I drove it half as hard as I drive my turbo. Anyway, just my 2 cents...

Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
You chose to replace the other hoses, correct? I'm not saying that wasn't a wise move with the engine dropped but it was really the one hose that failed? And the clutch. I don't think that's horrible for a car going on 6 yrs old and 50,+ miles.

I sold my '07 almost a year ago with around 67,000 miles (and some track miles and heavily modded). The only issue I can recall was the clutch slave (twice) and a bad crank or cam (can't remember which) solenoid 3 weeks after I got the car. Just one of those things.

I sometimes think time is more of an enemy than miles. The one positive is that you're getting a thorough check and hopefully nothing else comes up. I can't remember if it was here or Rennlist but there was a thread about what should be checked out if you're having some work done.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
sounds like you have experienced all the potential issues in one fell swoop!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 PM
CarreraS997Blk is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm I have had none of these issues and my car has 44k miles on it.... 07' as well.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by CarreraS997Blk
hmm I have had none of these issues and my car has 44k miles on it.... 07' as well.
Couldn't see boot problem. The flat side of inside of wheels were beginning to show a lot of oily-grit which I thought was just road grit. After a while that went away. That was because no more grease behind boot. Only way to see oil up in there from leaky boots is to have the car on a hoist and see from underneath. All the grease leaked out in less than 10000 miles so was not picked up at oil change if it was even looked for by the tech.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by E55AMG
You chose to replace the other hoses, correct? I'm not saying that wasn't a wise move with the engine dropped but it was really the one hose that failed? And the clutch. I don't think that's horrible for a car going on 6 yrs old and 50,+ miles.

I sold my '07 almost a year ago with around 67,000 miles (and some track miles and heavily modded). The only issue I can recall was the clutch slave (twice) and a bad crank or cam (can't remember which) solenoid 3 weeks after I got the car. Just one of those things.

I sometimes think time is more of an enemy than miles. The one positive is that you're getting a thorough check and hopefully nothing else comes up. I can't remember if it was here or Rennlist but there was a thread about what should be checked out if you're having some work done.
Just the one 2" water-hose that failed, but could not be reached without engine drop, then a couple of the others once the tech got to them were a little on the "ready to pop" status.
The clutch disk is 50% worn, still may bypass this as more costs seem to be appearing. Seems like a waste of $2K for me anyway. Most likely can get another 20K from clutch and I am sure this beast will be traded off before that 20K miles since I will be dropping EasyCAre. I guess I could add the $2K 4clutch on the sale but that seldom works.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Normal

I'm just shy of 70,000 miles with my '07 TT. I drive it all year in all possible conditions (track, Canadian winters, many long road trips - with cargo box of course!) and have had no real problems. That said, one can expect to put some money into the car regularly - but definitely less than my old 2000 M3, and certainly less than other exotic cars! I've changed my plugs three times, ceramic brake pads once, and took advantage of a slipping clutch to update to a Sachs. There was on seal that commonly needs to be replaced (forget which one) which was done for about $200 when I was replacing the clutch and flywheel. I have my car detailed by professional twice a year to keep the inside and outside looking relatively new and reduce wear and tear (also covered in 3M).

Obviously, any car requires $ input but I think the 997 is very reliable and doesn't need a whole of lot if you take care of it and drive it regularly. Hopefully you have a reliable tuner (not dealer) to walk you though all this.
Keep the faith - but do plan on a bit of annual maintenance costs and you will be good to go for MANY more miles of P-fun!
Good luck. That's my 2 cents.
<object style="position:absolute;z-index:1000" type="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">

</object>

Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
70k miles on my old car, clutch accum was about it.
The 07tt is a great car, I might just get me another........

Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
70k miles on my old car, clutch accum was about it.
The 07tt is a great car, I might just get me another........
Maybe just bad luck with the 2 inch long water hose (1-inch in diameter).
Once the engine out and coolant transfer hoses visible, can't understand how in the world these small sections of hoses stay together as long as they do placed right in the middle of tremendous engine heat. Surprised they lasted 50K. Dealer tech says these hoses bust on the track a lot, but I never tracked my '07. Factory folks say maybe (75% chance) even in warranty they would cover these 6-small coolant connecting hoses, 5 of which require engine drop. I was 4000 miles and almost two years out of factory warranty. Extended warranty was to Dec 20 '12. Amazing not to see more of these hose failures on 6speed.

Last edited by johnww; 12-06-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by MK23
Sorry to hear about your problems! But looks like the EasyCare covered more than $3.5K of work. Seems good! Is it a good warranty in your experience? My CPO runs out August 13 and I've got 30K on my 07. You got me worried! I've been thinking of getting an extended warranty myself. Any advice is much appreciated.

To put it in perspective, your turbo is an M3 killer that can be daily driven. Some expensive work at 50K miles isn't so bad. I had an SL65 that broke down monthly with less than 30K miles on it, and I drove it half as hard as I drive my turbo. Anyway, just my 2 cents...
Aside from this rubber hose incident, EasyCAre has been top notch. In fact, I've decided to take 3 more years coverage for my '07 turbo.
Took my 997.1 with 54K miles (orig owner) with new clutch/ new hoses thru out/new heat exchanger/new starter/new front axles/boots to BMW dealer to trade for M6 or M3. Both M-cars are not the car, using any stretch of imagination, that the 997.1 is especially with their current v8s...just too much wt in front . The bad news was $60K trade value which was almost insulting.Walked out and got the EasyCare coverage for 36K/36 months and keeping my Porsche-jewel w EU1.
The important part of warranty coverage is it keeps the dealer honest on parts/labor. They were charging me 10-15% over list for parts I paid for and list price for insurance. They did the same with labor. When asked why me, they said that warranty companies will only pay list on parts and book prices on labor. So I am staying with EasyCare just to keep such crap to a minimum.

Last edited by johnww; 12-09-2012 at 07:36 PM.